British Speedway Forum
keepturningleft

Peter Collins Article

That sounds a rather sad state of affairs, is it like that everywhere? At Odsal and Halifax there often seemed to be past riders wandering around, Arthur Forrest and Arthur Wright were frequently there and Vic Lonsdale used to go on the centre green with his video camera.

Was there not some initiative, either last year or the beginning of this year, to allow all old riders to attend home meetings free of charge. Current riders get in free now, but riders being riders they think that a pass means +1 or +2 or +3, etc. and spoil the purpose of the rider pass.

• Like 4

PC might be a legend but he's turned into a right to**er sorry to say. I can't believe he had the audacity to let them print that. Well no actually I can. The guy is deluded.

Let him go to another club and see if he can get his 100+ hangers on free entry

Edited by Phil The Ace
  • Like 3

PC refused to accept that WSRA compromise at BV and is the reason why he turned down an invitation to become President of the WSRA next year.

Which is exactly what PC says in the article.

In fact nothing that has been said here seems to contradict anything said in the article.

So just to be clear.

Is there anything in the article, or the quotes from Peter Collins, that is/are untrue?

TAFFY has a pass ...

is this a wrsa pass or a bv pass ? As I said I read this about him in backtrack and could of been writ before the wrsa pass Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

There is an in depth feature on this very topic in this month's Backtrack.

MUCH of which is also one-sided.

Which is exactly what PC says in the article.

In fact nothing that has been said here seems to contradict anything said in the article.

So just to be clear.

Is there anything in the article, or the quotes from Peter Collins, that is/are untrue?

LOTS. Read the WalterPlinge reply again.

PC refused to budge on his demand that hundreds of people should be afforded free entry. He tried to insist that the WSRA accept his view or would turn down their invitation to become President, which is what happened.

Like many on here, PC is not just a hero but a mate. Was at all his greatest triumphs. But, sadly, he finds it hard to accept that the NSS came into being without him and that his demands simply cannot be accommodated.

Very sad. As previously said, he is to BV what Bobby Charlton is to Man U and he should be the natural figure head for the stadium. The fact that he isn't is down to him as even some of his closest BV mates will testify.

is this a wrsa pass or a bv pass ? As I said I read this about him in backtrack and could of been writ before the wrsa pass

Belle Vue...

Taffy Owen is at Belle Vue quite a bit. He usually sits in the Peter Craven suite with a drink along with Eric Broadbelt and Billy Powell and a couple of other "oldies"

Sadly what the one-sided article in the Speedway Star doesn't show is that Peter Collins has sadly become a very bitter and awkward man. It's awful to have to say that because throughout the 70s I idolised Peter Collins (just as most British fans of that time did). He was a god to me.

Peter Collins always receives VIP invites to major meetings at Belle Vue, but always obstinately turns them down as he believes every ride who has ever turned a wheel for Belle Vue (and there are literally hundreds and hundreds of them) should be invited to every meeting. Last year I'm told he provided Chris Morton with a list of over one hundred names (ex-riders, friends and acquaintances) that he demanded must be given free tickets, and if they all weren't admitted free, he wasn't coming. It was a logistical impossibility, but he wouldn't back down or compromise.

Sad to see the Speedway Star run this one-sided article. If people only knew the truth, they would have a much different opinion. Peter Collins the rider will always be a hero to me with godlike status. But Peter Collins the man is, I'm sad to say, a different story.

If all this is true, then sadly I must revise the sentiments of my original post.

Either way, it's a sad story all round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxQdxKchhFQ

Seems quite behind all things Belle Vue here...

Sad to hear about it, but not exactly a secret how negative he is about speedway. Always found Neil to be awkward with his attitude but a determined little rider who was good to be on your side, never gave up and prepared to press his own argument. Les on the other hand seems to be entirely different, and is held in great esteem for his riding right up through his long career, and loved by fans at tracks like Edinburgh with a special relationship.

i rode with Neil at stoke and les at Glasgow , you wouldnt believe they were brothers ,neil was not easy to get on with until you knew him , we doubled up a couple of times in his van to away meetings but I still wouldnt say I really knew him , les is one of the great team riders like jan staechmann, always there for advice and would team ride with you for 4 Laps, I remember him teaching me about rolling the throttle off mid turn to get the back wheel to gain traction , in general very friendly and approachable ,peter was before my time but we have crossed paths a few times more recently through collecting old bikes Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 2

He does (PC) have a point regarding the state of the sport though

He also says that referees get a life time pass too.

• Like 1

He does (PC) have a point regarding the state of the sport though

He also says that referees get a life time pass too.

I've not read the article yet so don't really understand the meaning of the referees getting a life time pass, if he means that they get a life time pass but he doesn't then that's a lie. He has one but he refuses to use it unless his 100+ friends and foes get one to. Including a person that loaned him a tractor while he first opened kirky lane.

When I was an ice hockey referee (for ten years) I could see every match in every rink in Finland for free. Out of the "million" matches in Finland every season special requests in advance had to be made but I was getting in IF I wanted to.

Then I quit and they didnt renew my card. End of.

PC has given more to the sport and its fans in memories alone than any fly-be-night promoter. They come and go. It is sad that some are now smearing him for the comments in this week's article. But that's what speedway fans do, when they don't like what you say. The way the sport has gone, PC must be glad he has an excuse not to attend.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

PC has given more to the sport and its fans in memories alone than any fly-be-night promoter. They come and go. It is sad that some are now smearing him for the comments in this week's article. But that's what speedway fans do, when they don't like what you say. The way the sport has gone, PC must be glad he has an excuse not to attend.

Well from what is posted here, it would seem that he has basically excluded himself from attending. Hopefully the full account will be revealed and soon.

• Like 1