British Speedway Forum
keepturningleft

Peter Collins Article

Just seen the article, PC did a lot for British Speedway especially BV in the past and made a vast amount of money for is efforts, and now he is very bitter to the Sport, a colleague of my who is not a speedway fan seen it and I asked him his opinion to which he replied acting like a spoiled kid tend to agree,

Its now up to Phillp Rising to make its a balanced article in next weeks SS friend or not

NO pressure then :t:

• Like 1

I can understand PC's comments and feelings. He doesn't like anything about the sport at the moment and, very much like I feel, retains an interest for the good times it's given him and its history. Right in the mid-point of the 30 years he's been retired, speedway went all silly.

• Like 1

I can understand PC's comments and feelings. He doesn't like anything about the sport at the moment and, very much like I feel, retains an interest for the good times it's given him and its history. Right in the mid-point of the 30 years he's been retired, speedway went all silly.

Would that be anything to do with the creation of Ole Olsen's Flying Circus, by any chance? The catalyst for the downturn in interest in the bread-and-butter speedway which had been enjoyed for so long, now it's all about self, money, greed, etc etc. And the downturn in fan-rider relationships with all the journeymen in the teams now - nobody seems to belong anymore

Edited by Midland Red
  • Like 9

Would that be anything to do with the creation of Ole Olsen's Flying Circus, by any chance? The catalyst for the downturn in interest in the bread-and-butter speedway which had been enjoyed for so long, now it's all about self, money, greed, etc etc. And the downturn in fan-rider relationships with all the journeymen in the teams now - nobody seems to belong anymore

You been reading my mind?

First of all let me say that I was/am one of PC's fans. Not just watching him race but for the great job he did keeping the club alive back in 1988. Without PC there would be no Belle Vue Speedway.

Having said that I am disappointed with the article in the Star. Firstly that PC should effectively wash dirty linen in public, and with the Star for stooping to this level of journalism.

This business regarding free passes to former riders reared its head some time ago I understand;but it remained in the background. How it resulted in a 2 page spread in the Star I have no idea. I must assume that it was at PC who approached them with the 'story'.

Whatever the history, I have to say that it doesn't reflect well on PC himself. Whilst having some sympathy for his opinions on the matter it does him no credit for airing it in this way.
  • Like 2

Same old same old. Half the story gets published in the world's leading speedway publication, clearly attacking the Belle Vue promotion, and the bsf jumps in two footed.

At least some anonymous posters on the world's leading speedway forum have put the record straight, again.

Given that the article is just a space filler why didn't the author bother to find out the whole story, he could have filled even more space?

Talking of the full story, I see chapman has kept his gob firmly shut on his 'prompt and decisive (I'll have 10% of that thank you, lol!) actions' from this time last year, understandable in the circumstances I suppose.

I think PC individually has been attacked on BSF more than any one member of the BV promotion team, whatever their names are. Someone, for god's sake, even called him a "tosser." Out of order, big time.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1

I think PC individually has been attacked on BSF more than any one member of the BV promotion team, whatever their names are. Someone, for god's sake, even called him a "tosser." Out of order, big time.

I never saw that.

PC might be a legend but he's turned into a right to**er sorry to say. I can't believe he had the audacity to let them print that. Well no actually I can. The guy is deluded.

Let him go to another club and see if he can get his 100+ hangers on free entry

I never saw that.

PC might be a legend but he's turned into a right to**er sorry to say. I can't believe he had the audacity to let them print that. Well no actually I can. The guy is deluded.

Let him go to another club and see if he can get his 100+ hangers on free entry

I never saw that.

Oh dear. :sad::sad::sad:

The shoddy journalism at play here has actually done everyone a diservice.

The issues involved have been poorly covered and little light shone on them in real detail.

I still believe that there were issues raised aboout ex-rider entry to meetings that need to be addressed differently than is currently being done.

That has been lost in the cocophony.

The managment at Belle Vue have been publicly maligned without any opportunity to respond.

When they clearly have some very pertinant points to make on the way this has developed over the last couple of years.

And Peter Collins, and his reputation have, subsequently, been sullied in equal measure.

Only because of the article, and the way it was constructed, has he now been subjected to either public abuse, at a level that I hope people will live to regret.

But also subtle references to his stroke, that have followed, have now potrayed him as some sort of broken man.

This has, all round, been a sad episode.

PR will need the Wisdom of Solomon to put together an article that will redress the damage done.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

I only usually get the Speedway Star these days when it's got content that I know I'll be interested in - season preview edition, structure changes etc and when I saw the title for this topic I was going to order it as I am / was a big PC fan but having read through this topic I think I'll give it a miss.

It sounds like it's a very one sided article and doesn't paint Collins in a good way. His health may or may not have been a factor in his interview, but it should be a topic dealt with around a table - not dissected in public by people who don't know the full picture.

Edited by Garry1603

I only usually get the Speedway Star these days when it's got content that I know I'll be interested in - season preview edition, structure changes etc and when I saw the title for this topic I was going to order it as I am / was a big PC fan but having read through this topic I think I'll give it a miss.

It sounds like it's a very one sided article and doesn't paint Collins in a good way. His health may or may not have been a factor in his interview, but it should be a topic dealt with around a table - not dissected in public by people who don't know the full picture.

Really? I got the impression that it was him who raised the issue, maybe the second article will shed more light?

Really? I got the impression that it was him who raised the issue, maybe the second article will shed more light?

IT was PC who raised the issue, several times, but it was, and still is, my opinion that it would do him more harm than good. I do not interfere with the editorial at SS even if I am around, which I'm not at the moment, but admit I wish they had not gone ahead.

I understand that Brian Burford called PC about a another matter and, unlike Richard Frost, Richard Bott and myself, got sucked in.

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 1

Run a story like this and one should always give the other party an opportunity to comment. In the same piece - not, at best, a week later. It's 'first day on the job as a journalist' stuff. Makes Speedway Star look and sound like something put together by sixth formers.

If Peter Collins really does think a hundred of his mates should get into Belle Vue for nothing, he's seriously lost the plot.

• Like 1