British Speedway Forum
keepturningleft

Peter Collins Article

Have just read what PR describes as an 'epistle' from David Gordon in this week's Star.

It is difficult to see what is different in giving a page over to a one-sided rant by Mr Gordono this week to giving Peter Collins a similar platform, without counter-argument, just two weeks prior.

And yet that article was almost unanimously judged to have been a flawed journalistic piece and an editorial mistake to publish in that way,

In the PC article at least an issue that most of the general Speedway public had not heard about was being raised.

Whereas PR acknowledges that there is really no new information of substance in Mr Gordon's most recent sermon.

On a different note I was glad to read the excellent in depth article by Brian Burford on the Carlise Tyres controversy of the 1980s.

It was particularly good to hear from some of the people involved in this episode and their illuminating memories of events from well over thirty years ago.

Including those of a quite 'on-the-ball' Peter Collins.

Edited by Grand Central

Have just read what PR describes as an 'epistle' from David Gordon in this week's Star.

It is difficult to see what is different in giving a page over to a one-sided rant by Mr Gordono this week to giving Peter Collins a similar platform, without counter-argument, just two weeks prior.

And yet that article was almost unanimously judged to have been a flawed journalistic piece and an editorial mistake to publish in that way,

In the PC article at least an issue that most of the general Speedway public had not heard about was being raised.

Whereas PR acknowledges that there is really no new information of substance in Mr Gordon's most recent sermon.

On a different note I was glad to read the excellent in depth article by Brian Burford on the Carlise Tyres controversy of the 1980s.

It was particular good to hear from some of the people involved in this episode and their illuminating memories of events over from well thirty years ago.

Including those of a quite 'on-the-ball' Peter Collins.

Good post Grand Central (only because I agree with it!)..

Two weeks on, I have to say that it was unusual that PC mentioned there'd be no Belle Vue if he hadn't helped save it in 1988. That was the most un-PC thing I have ever heard him say, as he has always been quite modest and never "bigged" up himself. That's what shocked me most about what he said. That wasn't like him. Like a lot of us feel though, I think it's out of frustration with the sport and people who run it.

Edited by moxey63

Grand Central wrote " It is difficult to see what is different in giving a page over to a one-sided rant by Mr Gordono this week to giving Peter Collins a similar platform, without counter-argument, just two weeks prior.

And yet that article was almost unanimously judged to have been a flawed journalistic piece and an editorial mistake to publish in that way,"

On & On & On this sad saga goes. David Gordon and Chris Morton brought about the magnificent stadium and track that is the NSS. But they were unable to navigate successfully and on a sound financial basis, their first season there. They were inept in that respect and are extremely unlikely to recoup a penny from the debacle that was of their own making. Some will never believe or accept that I know.

THE piece with David Gordon was to highlight the fact that MCC still refuse to answer questions about the early debacle at the NSS which ultimately led to DG and Chris Morton being shoved out of the door. In my opinion, for what it is worth, they deserve that at least. If you were involved in a car crash that wasn't your fault and those responsible refused to admit liability, would you not want to pursue it?

Gordon has never suggested that he and Chris were faultless, far from it, but the fact remains that without them there wouldn't be the NSS and probably not the Belle Vue Aces either.

We can only speculate on how things would have panned out had the opening meeting been the huge success we all hoped for and thankfully the current regime have put the stadium on a sound footing but that doesn't alter the facts which include the appalling mistakes made by the construction company which have yet to be fully acknowledged.

• Like 6

It greatly saddens me to see a Belle Vue legend like Peter in a position where he will not come to Belle Vue.

Next year is Belle vue’s 90 th Anniversary on July 28th.

It would be marvellous if this magnificent achievement were to be recognised with the old riders appearing at the proposed anniversary meeting... including Peter Collins , Chris Morton , Alan Wilkinson and a whole host of ex Belle Vue riders.

I take no sides on the cause of the problem.... just hope that it can be resolved.

Let us not forget that 2018 is The Aces 91st consecutive season....unparalleled anywhere in the world I would imagine.

Did actually BV make money this year or at least break even?

Did actually BV make money this year or at least break even?

NO, but the new 'owners' who are not short of a bob or two, didn't expect to. They have a long term plan and for this year it was to get the business, which includes the stadium as well as the speedway, on an even keel and in 2018 try to make more use of the NSS and to attract some financial backing. They have a lot of business contacts in Manchester.

I actually had a long chat with Adrian Smith, who is in charge of the day-to-day business, this week and he seemed confident of the future for the Aces.

He also reiterated that they would welcome Peter Collins with open arms should he decide to visit.

• Like 1

Good to know. With Coventry gone need Belle Vue to be stronger than ever.

Back on topic, I hope both PC and Mighty Mort are both regulars at NSS for years to come. As you say Phil both legends of the club, country and sport.

• Like 5

THE piece with David Gordon was to highlight the fact that MCC still refuse to answer questions about the early debacle at the NSS which ultimately led to DG and Chris Morton being shoved out of the door. In my opinion, for what it is worth, they deserve that at least. If you were involved in a car crash that wasn't your fault and those responsible refused to admit liability, would you not want to pursue it?

Gordon has never suggested that he and Chris were faultless, far from it, but the fact remains that without them there wouldn't be the NSS and probably not the Belle Vue Aces either.

We can only speculate on how things would have panned out had the opening meeting been the huge success we all hoped for and thankfully the current regime have put the stadium on a sound footing but that doesn't alter the facts which include the appalling mistakes made by the construction company which have yet to be fully acknowledged.

Another excellent 'point of view' Phil. As I said before, lets have some more.

As you rightly say, David Gordon is fully entitled to have the truth of the matter disclosed. Clearly, MCC don't want that and its not difficult to reason why.

I particularly agreed with your view regarding Chris Morton - Belle Vue's all time highest points scorer and appearance maker, a World Champion at team and pairs level and a consistent top performer at the highest level for 15 years. I don't know the extent of how what happened has affected his private and personal circumstances but there should always be a role for him at NSS.

Criticise Gordon & Morton as much as you like, their legacy for me is a fantastic purpose built speedway stadium with an equally fantastic racing track.

• Like 3

I know that Chris has been very helpful to the new promoters and that they have made clear to Chris that he is most welcome at the NSS. Perhaps, understandably, Chris has not yet taken up that invitation. I hope that he is not in any way concerned about the reception he might get from the fans. Both Chris and PC have made a tremendous contribution to the club and I am sure that the fans would be delighted to see them and to show their appreciation.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 5

I know that Chris has been very helpful to the new promoters and that they have made clear to Chris that he is most welcome at the NSS. Perhaps, understandably, Chris has not yet taken up that invitation. I hope that he is not in any way concerned about the reception he might get from the fans. Both Chris and PC have made a tremendous contribution to the club and I am sure that the fans would be delighted to see them and to show their appreciation.

AGREE with that.

I think it would be a good idea if promoters of all Clubs, allowed ex riders in for free. How many ex riders actually go and pay these days? It's not like all the tracks are rammed to the rafters and there is no space for them.

For the paying public, how great to see ex riders and have a chat with them.

Surely it's a pull to know favourite ex riders could be in attendance.

Wouldn't present riders want to bend their ear and get tips and guidance as well?

I'd get it, if Speedway was like football, with thousands attending each week...but it's not. So why not open the gates to ex riders for free? What harm would it do? Are the promotion going to lose revenue in what they were expecting?

Get em on the centre green for an interview, get them in the clubhouse etc.

If it meant ex riders would attend....do it. The paying public love meeting and chatting to ex riders.

• Like 6

Oh dear, ten pages and counting -- I always said Speedway Star was a better read in the close season!

Peter Collins was one of the most gifted riders of all time -- in a very, very exclusive 'club' like Ronnie Moore before him and Darcy Ward since.

He was almost certainly the prime reason Belle Vue were able to continue in speedway after 1987, and I've always thought his involvement in saving the famous club at that time has been air-brushed a wee bit from their wonderful history.

As such, he is entitled to his opinions, and it is better they be aired publicly -- be they right or wrong -- than left as unheard mutterings.

Regarding the BV policy, it might have been better to follow the example of Berwick Bandits, where the club announced to the world in 2016 that, excluding guests, every living rider -- whether he was a 15-year legend such as Rob Grant or a wobbler who had only competed in one heat before crashing out -- who had raced as a Bandit since 1968 could, and should apply to the club for a lifetime pass to every meeting at Shielfield.

Many have done, and attend matches, often with (paying) friends and family members.

A great deal of goodwill has been generated. It isn't rocket science.

At last, some sense.

• Like 2

Exactly, and if Belle Vue and Berwick can do it why not the rest, is it being rolled out alphabetically?