British Speedway Forum
keepturningleft

Peter Collins Article

Exactly, and if Belle Vue and Berwick can do it why not the rest, is it being rolled out alphabetically?

Maybe they don't want to ...let's be honest if I was a former rider I would be more than happy to paid knowing it would help my club who badly need every penny . As I said before one of speedway biggest problems over the years have been the amount of people who are let in for nothing for one reason or another .

If certain clubs want to do it then fair enough but I can totally understand if others choose not to .

Edited by orion
  • Like 5

If I worked in a restaurant I wouldn’t expect free food every single time I went there for the rest of my life, nor would I expect free drink if I had worked in a bar, free meat if I had worked in a Butchers etc and so on.

A bizarre sense of entitlement to assume free entry should be granted to ex-riders given most have contributed less to the club than the fans who pay to get in every week

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan
  • Like 4

If I worked in a restaurant I wouldn’t expect free food every single time I went there for the rest of my life, nor would I expect free drink if I had worked in a bar, free meat if I had worked in a Butchers etc and so on.

A bizarre sense of entitlement to assume free entry should be granted to ex-riders given most have contributed less to the club than the fans who pay to get in every week

Comparing potatoes with scaffolding poles rarely gives a satisfactory result but ... if you had been a chef who had attracted thousands of diners into the restaurant, thereby making lots of money for the owner, you might feel you were a little bit entitled to some recognition later in life - at the very least a free drink or two.

Comparing potatoes with scaffolding poles rarely gives a satisfactory result but ... if you had been a chef who had attracted thousands of diners into the restaurant, thereby making lots of money for the owner, you might feel you were a little bit entitled to some recognition later in life - at the very least a free drink or two.

Nothing wrong with a free drink or two, but when he wants to invite 100 mates every week ?

I employ 50-60 people in three different bar / restaurants, they're hardworking and help me to be where I am today. The deal is when they turn up at one of my bars their first drink is on the house and subsequent drinks at a reduced rate.

If they turned up with a group of mates expecting freebies the answer's no.

• Like 5

He was actually paid for his efforts.

• Like 1

PC was not wise to let his views be aired in SS,has obviously got a problem with Belle Vue not just his mates getting not getting free admission.Does not reflect well on him IMO .Sad!

I know that Chris has been very helpful to the new promoters and that they have made clear to Chris that he is most welcome at the NSS. Perhaps, understandably, Chris has not yet taken up that invitation. I hope that he is not in any way concerned about the reception he might get from the fans. Both Chris and PC have made a tremendous contribution to the club and I am sure that the fans would be delighted to see them and to show their appreciation.

Chris Morton is concerned about the reception he'll receive from speedway fans. Is he a nutter of somethink... the man is a legend at Belle Vue and should get his self down to that new stadium and track he helped build. For god sake! Am I gonna have to drag him down there meself?

• Like 4

Like a speedway rider he would have been doing his job and would have been paid for doing so

Edited by Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Chris Morton is concerned about the reception he'll receive from speedway fans. Is he a nutter of somethink... the man is a legend at Belle Vue and should get his self down to that new stadium and track he helped build. For god sake! Am I gonna have to drag him down there meself?

No-one would think he is a nutter. But sadly, there are plenty of nutters out there. It's hugely naive to believe he wouldn't get some stick. I think its entirely understandable for him to let some water pass under the bridge for a while.

• Like 2

I think it would be a good idea if promoters of all Clubs, allowed ex riders in for free. How many ex riders actually go and pay these days? It's not like all the tracks are rammed to the rafters and there is no space for them.

For the paying public, how great to see ex riders and have a chat with them.

Surely it's a pull to know favourite ex riders could be in attendance.

Wouldn't present riders want to bend their ear and get tips and guidance as well?

I'd get it, if Speedway was like football, with thousands attending each week...but it's not. So why not open the gates to ex riders for free? What harm would it do? Are the promotion going to lose revenue in what they were expecting?

Get em on the centre green for an interview, get them in the clubhouse etc.

If it meant ex riders would attend....do it. The paying public love meeting and chatting to ex riders.

It's always nice to hear an ex-rider on the centre green when there is a delay in racing but most people can't be bothered to listen in my experience.

Although i stand with ex-riders to watch speedway at one track i do it because they are a good laugh rather than anything to do them being ex-riders.

I don't know if you've ever been in the pits during a meeting but unless an ex-rider was a mechanic or a mentor of a rider the last thing a present day rider would want is an ex-rider bending their ear. Somehow i can't see that going down too well. :lol:

No-one would think he is a nutter. But sadly, there are plenty of nutters out there. It's hugely naive to believe he wouldn't get some stick. I think its entirely understandable for him to let some water pass under the bridge for a while.

If that is true, it is really sad.

Chris Morton was one of Belle Vue's greatest ever Riders.

Chris Morton was instrumental in getting the National Speedway Stadium up and running.

I think you are probably right - but those people who would give him stick are idiots in my opinion. Whatever happened to gratitude?

Or is gratitude another of those outmoded things these days?

It's always nice to hear an ex-rider on the centre green when there is a delay in racing but most people can't be bothered to listen in my experience.

Although i stand with ex-riders to watch speedway at one track i do it because they are a good laugh rather than anything to do them being ex-riders.

I don't know if you've ever been in the pits during a meeting but unless an ex-rider was a mechanic or a mentor of a rider the last thing a present day rider would want is an ex-rider bending their ear. Somehow i can't see that going down too well. :lol:

lol...yes, I've been in the pits during meetings, both in the past and recently.

I wouldn't expect ex riders to go bending present riders ears, but would expect present riders, to seek out as much advice as possible from ex riders.

Whilst bikes and tracks may not be the same, a lot can still be learnt from riders of the past imo.

I coach in another sport, and tell all my youngsters to listen to what ex pro's have to say.

I think there would be very little and what there was would overwhelmed by the pleasure of most seeing him back where he belongs.

Chris Morton is (with Peter Collins) Belle Vue's greatest ever rider. He holds the club points and appearance records and was capped 128 times for England, captaining his country on many occasions. He was a world champion at pairs and team levels and a top rider in the world's best league for 15 seasons - a record matched by very few indeed.

His service to the Aces doesn't end there. The NSS is a world class stadium with a world class racing track. Many on here were sceptical, cynical, critical and even abusive about whether it would ever be built - as were some at the highest levels of the sport - but it was, and its existence is largely down to Chris Morton (and David Gordon).

Most (if not all) will recognise his contribution to the Aces and welcome him back.

You don't have to tell me any of that. You'd be hard pressed to find a bigger fan than me. He was my hero as a kid. I've still got the Dave Ellis (remember him?) original painting of him. What a beaut that is too! :-)

But you only have to scroll through any threads on here to see how nutty some folk can be. His managerial and promotional shortcomings are probably still too fresh in the memory for him and others.

Let's hope it's sooner rather than later before his enormous contribution to Belle Vue as a rider AND as the trailblazer for the NSS are properly recognised. I'd like to think a stand named after him one day at the NSS would be an apt tribute.

Edited by falcace
  • Like 3