British Speedway Forum
keepturningleft

Peter Collins Article

He wouldnt allow it. Unfortunately.

Any idea why not?

• Like 1

He wanted a large list of acquaintances to be allowed in free at Belle Vue but the management thought it excessive and gave him entry tickets valued at over £3000 but it wasnt enough.

He fell out with the management. Unfortunately.

He wanted a large list of acquaintances to be allowed in free at Belle Vue but the management thought it excessive and gave him entry tickets valued at over £3000 but it wasnt enough.

He fell out with the management. Unfortunately.

Are you getting mixed up with Peter Collins and not Chris Morton who was being talked about. The Collins affair has already been fully discussed and the attention here is Morton's situation.

Let be honest, whatever the reasons, arguments and issues it's a crying shame that Peter Collins and Chris Morton are not at BV speedway every week enjoying the speedway and still be worshipped by the fans. Two of Britains best and certain the two names most synonymous with BV Speedway. I just hope that whatever reasons both have for not attending they can "get over" them and return ASAP.

Oh, sorry folks I got the wrong end of the stick.

Absolutely Chris should be recognised officially in the stadium with a section being named after him. Id also like to see some of his memorabilia on show.

When I last spoke to Chris about attending again he said it wasnt for him. It was like when someone doesnt want to return to the ally where they were beaten up and mugged and with the council unwilling to come clean the wound remains open.

Im hoping once he can gain some closure then he will be happy to be back in the fold.

I look forward to that day.

• Like 1

Oh, sorry folks I got the wrong end of the stick.

Absolutely Chris should be recognised officially in the stadium with a section being named after him. Id also like to see some of his memorabilia on show.

When I last spoke to Chris about attending again he said it wasnt for him. It was like when someone doesnt want to return to the ally where they were beaten up and mugged and with the council unwilling to come clean the wound remains open.

Im hoping once he can gain some closure then he will be happy to be back in the fold.

I look forward to that day.

Such a shame the club should do everything in there power to make him welcome again.Belle Vue was everything to him,it was not all about him he put the club first everytime one of the nice guys Mort hope he is back and involved again.

Such a shame the club should do everything in there power to make him welcome again.Belle Vue was everything to him,it was not all about him he put the club first everytime one of the nice guys Mort hope he is back and involved again.

THEY have and are still doing just that.

Regarding ex riders gaining free admission or having to pay to get in, could the BSPA issue them with a pass when they retire from racing? Perhaps there could be a scale based on the number of meetings the rider took part in during his career, maybe one free admission for every meeting ridden in, or whatever number is thought appropriate. The rider could use the admission pass at any track and could take as many guests as they wished, but each one would be ticked off the allowance until it was used up. So, if a rider had a pass for 100 admissions and chose to take 4 non-paying guests to one meeting then that would use up 5 of the 100.

Regarding ex riders gaining free admission or having to pay to get in, could the BSPA issue them with a pass when they retire from racing? Perhaps there could be a scale based on the number of meetings the rider took part in during his career, maybe one free admission for every meeting ridden in, or whatever number is thought appropriate. The rider could use the admission pass at any track and could take as many guests as they wished, but each one would be ticked off the allowance until it was used up. So, if a rider had a pass for 100 admissions and chose to take 4 non-paying guests to one meeting then that would use up 5 of the 100.

Wow Wow Wow. No chance. Riders and freeloaders are already a big menace to many tracks. If a rider wants to attend let them apply to the promotion in advance. Why should a Newcastle rider get a pass to use to get into BV say. What's in it for BV ? How popular would a past rider be if others knew he had a pass to get others in free of charge.

Wow Wow Wow. No chance. Riders and freeloaders are already a big menace to many tracks. If a rider wants to attend let them apply to the promotion in advance. Why should a Newcastle rider get a pass to use to get into BV say. What's in it for BV ? How popular would a past rider be if others knew he had a pass to get others in free of charge.

I think one Pass per Rider at his main Track of operation should be sufficient.

I agree with you Tsunami - far too many freeloaders in Speedway. That was a major contributor to Sunderland closing in 1974.

We were hardly a well supported Club and still loads of people got in for nothing. It boils my water even to this day.

Freeloaders are a blight on Speedway.

Great. Have you thought about volunteering to operate this huge administrative task involving thousands of people, costing thousands to loss-making businesses? I'm sure each and every promoter will be keen to hear from you.

• Like 1

I think it would be a good idea if promoters of all Clubs, allowed ex riders in for free. How many ex riders actually go and pay these days? It's not like all the tracks are rammed to the rafters and there is no space for them.

For the paying public, how great to see ex riders and have a chat with them.

Surely it's a pull to know favourite ex riders could be in attendance.

Wouldn't present riders want to bend their ear and get tips and guidance as well?

I'd get it, if Speedway was like football, with thousands attending each week...but it's not. So why not open the gates to ex riders for free? What harm would it do? Are the promotion going to lose revenue in what they were expecting?

Get em on the centre green for an interview, get them in the clubhouse etc.

If it meant ex riders would attend....do it. The paying public love meeting and chatting to ex riders.

It really does depend on who the ex rider though, I think. I support Sheffield, as it is Doug Wyer and Reg Wilson are there pretty much every meeting anyway, and Shawn Moran was given a great welcome a few years ago. I can understand that Jim Airey would be a big draw for some older fans if he were to come to Owlerton again, also Sean Wilson and Roman Matousek to name a couple of others, but with every respect intended, I can hardly see a rush to the turnstiles after years of not having been, to see Simon Wolstenholme or Flemming Rasmussen.

• Like 3