British Speedway Forum
keepturningleft

Peter Collins Article

There's a fair bit of vitriol towards PC in this thread

Don't think there's any vitriol towards PC here. Most (all?) people hold him in high regard for his achievements in the sport and the entertainment he gave on track.

All there is on this thread is people correcting untruths in a one-sided Speedway Star article, and responding to the vitriol which Peter Collins has spit towards Speedway in general and Belle Vue in particular - A sport and a club which allowed him to fulfil his talent and become a very rich man.

• Like 2

When I attended the NSS there was a piece in the programme about welcoming old riders back, but on WSRA terms. It was accompanied by a photo of Eric Broadbelt on a recent visit. I think the people on here who have been critical of PC's stance have all expressed their great admiration for him as a rider and their reluctance to be critical. Of course, we also have the timely reminder from nw42 of the health issues which should always be borne in mind.

• Like 3

So ... the WSRA terms.

Are they reasonable ?

Or even sensible at all.

Does it not seem a little odd to say that an ex-rider must be accompanied my a full paying adult to gain free entry.

Why is he not allowed the human dignity of attending alone ?

Or is it acceptable for this 'deal' to treat him as someone in need of a 'carer' ?

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

So ... the WSRA terms.

Are they reasonable ?

Or even sensible at all.

Does it not seem a little odd to say that an ex-rider must be accompanied my a full paying adult to gain free entry.

Why is he not allowed the human dignity of attending alone ?

Or is it acceptable for this 'deal' to treat him as someone in need of a 'carer' ?

Think it's a new push to increase crowds.

Edited by moxey63

I would prefer to see all ex riders who have ridden a specified minimum number of meetings for a club given a free pass for themselves but not for any guests to accompany them.

• Like 5

The riders guests don't even pay full price aswell, I'm sure it's something like £10

The riders guests don't even pay full price aswell, I'm sure it's something like £10

That is NOT the information provided on the WSRA's own website.

A Former rider pass costs £30 plus a fee of £5 and the information given is that free admission is only available when accompanied by a full-paying adult.

It is disingenuous to call that person a 'guest'.

They are a pre-requisite of the discount 'offer' more akin to a voucher code or 'money off coupon' in human form.

Frankly I would not be 'President' of any club that treats it's members in such a fashion when negotiating with other parties.

It's degrading.

Edited by Grand Central

Don't think there's any vitriol towards PC here. Most (all?) people hold him in high regard for his achievements in the sport and the entertainment he gave on track.

All there is on this thread is people correcting untruths in a one-sided Speedway Star article, and responding to the vitriol which Peter Collins has spit towards Speedway in general and Belle Vue in particular - A sport and a club which allowed him to fulfil his talent and become a very rich man.

Bit of a cheap shot. So alright, the sport may have made him rich and enabled him to live the dream, but his talents also helped raise awareness of the sport to what it became during the memorable seventies and eighties. I will always hold PC in high regard and he rarely seems to speak out about what he feels. His thoughts always seem to command a lot of interest. He helped make me love speedway and therefore I will always be interested in his thoughts. I think he feels a bit frustrated at the way things have gone. Don't we all feel like that (or many of us)?

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 3

I would prefer to see all ex riders who have ridden a specified minimum number of meetings for a club given a free pass for themselves but not for any guests to accompany them.

I think it is bizarre, insulting and ridiculous that a rider of Peter Collins stature at Belle Vue (there is only Chris Morton that would match his record) is required to bring a paying adult with him to get in for nothing.

On the other hand, he has no right whatsoever to dictate to a club that a condition of him being there is that a huge number of others also get in free.

It is for each individual club to decide who receives free entry and who does not.

• Like 2

I think it is bizarre, insulting and ridiculous that a rider of Peter Collins stature at Belle Vue (there is only Chris Morton that would match his record) is required to bring a paying adult with him to get in for nothing.

On the other hand, he has no right whatsoever to dictate to a club that a condition of him being there is that a huge number of others also get in free.

It is for each individual club to decide who receives free entry and who does not.

Belle Vue gave him a free pass this year but he has chosen not to use it. They also invited Chris Morton, who has been helpful to the new promotion but he has not taken up the invitation. In Chris's case I can understand why he might not want to attend, the events of last year still being raw.

I am sure that most fans would love to see them both at the NSS and hope that a way can be found which enables them to do so.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 2

That is NOT the information provided on the WSRA's own website.

A Former rider pass costs £30 plus a fee of £5 and the information given is that free admission is only available when accompanied by a full-paying adult.

It is disingenuous to call that person a 'guest'.

They are a pre-requisite of the discount 'offer' more akin to a voucher code or 'money off coupon' in human form.

Frankly I would not be 'President' of any club that treats it's members in such a fashion when negotiating with other parties.

It's degrading.

That's a little harsh, although your description - 'discount offer'- is bang on.

There is a fine line here between who gets free entry and who doesn't and it seems to me that the WSRA are trying to come to some sort of compromise that satisfies all parties.

After all, with some exceptions - Peter Collins definitely being one - you can't let every ex rider in for nothing.

PC doesn't need a paying adult with him to get into BV.

• Like 1

That's a little harsh, although your description - 'discount offer'- is bang on.

There is a fine line here between who gets free entry and who doesn't and it seems to me that the WSRA are trying to come to some sort of compromise that satisfies all parties.

After all, with some exceptions - Peter Collins definitely being one - you can't let every ex rider in for nothing.

WOULD Man U let ever ex-player in for nothing? And it wasn't only ex-riders that PC had on the list he submitted to BV for free admission.

WOULD Man U let ever ex-player in for nothing? And it wasn't only ex-riders that PC had on the list he submitted to BV for free admission.

Man U don't need to invite ex-players in for nothing. I bet Bobby Charlton won't have to pay I bet... even Dennis Law. Even in my advancing years, it was always nice as a fan to see an ex-rider in the stadium. Would feel a bit embarrassed if one was standing with me in the queue paying admission.

Edited by moxey63

PC doesn't need a paying adult with him to get into BV.

Thanks Phil - as I said, I haven't read the article but it was implied in comments that that was the case.

I suspect they'd let Bobby Charlton in for nothing, yes.

We aren't just talking ex riders in Collins' case. We are talking about a rider that rode his entire career for one team and became World Champion whilst there,

I don't know a single person that objects to the fact that Dougie Wyer gets in free at Sheffield, almost certainly because of the number of years that he rode there and his star status.

Edited by Halifaxtiger