British Speedway Forum
keepturningleft

Peter Collins Article

Wolverhampton have always welcomed ex Wolves riders and the older fans love the fact that ex stars like Ermolenko, Correy etc down to older riders likevArthur Price and Ken Eyre have or are regular visitors and if anything Belle Vue should encourage these to attend as often it can make someone's night that they get to chat with a rider they use to watch week in week out.

Not sure what other tracks do but think Poole also welcome ex riders

I am proud to say Swindon is terrific with ex riders great to see them there and enjoy the action Broady / Crash are regular's there and endless other ex riders go i see Dukey there quite a bit to.As long as Rosco is about that will always be the case the history of the club is everything for me the past inspires you to go that bit further.When Doyley wins his maiden WC he will go alongside the Legend Barry Briggs five world titles between them great stuff.🤓 Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 2

Crap, had missed a word. Was supposed to say "requests had to be made for a few".

It was all about the refs seeing games and learning from that. So me thinks thats how it should be in speedway as well. And is.

Yes agreed. When i was an ice hockey referees supervisor i encouraged referees to go and watch as many matches as possible so they could learn from other refs.

PC has always come across in interviews as a modest and amiable man.

I can barely recognize the PC depicted in some of these posts.

It's difficult to comprehend why he would (apparently) become excessively embittered over such an issue.

As I posted earlier, who knows what the aftereffects of his 2010 trauma have been. If someone breaks a leg then once it's mended they may walk with impairment for the rest of their lives but they'll still get around. Brain injury can be similar, I now 'think with a limp' but nobody other than those closest would have any idea, there's nothing to see.

I know I've changed in the way I deal with certain situations, don't want to go into specifics but I can certainly relate to the way PC has dug his heels in, thus leaving a virtually non negotiable position.

I hope for everyone's sake that things can be settled to the point where Peter feels comfortable enough to be back in the camp where he belongs.

And that's the historic problem with our sport. Too many freebie hangers on like you, paying nowt but trying to be the worlds best critic on the sport. Tosser.

Ive turned up to a few meetings to ride and someone has been signed in as my guest , most of the time it was another rider but there has been a couple of times when I have no idea who it was , something my Mrs gets angry about is if I go to stoke I am made to pay, I dont really mind but stoke owned my contract for about 18 years and made enough in loan fees from me and I rode for them for 5 of them and also they still owe me for the pride of the potteries meeting in 2011 but they still take my money on the gate everytime we go there which isnt a lot these days and it Winds my misses up Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 3

I happen to agree with quite a large part of PC's stance on some (but not all) areas of this subject.

I have not suffered any form of brain injury.

I would appreciate my opinion being taken at face value.

No 'compassionate' replies are required.

And that's the historic problem with our sport. Too many freebie hangers on like you, paying nowt but trying to be the worlds best critic on the sport. Tosser.

:lol::lol: :lol: :rofl::rofl::t:

• Like 1

The issue is where do you draw the line to these free riders at BV? Does Michal Rajkowski who rode a dozen meeting 10 year ago get in free? What about Karl Mason who did a season in the NL? What about someone who rode 12 meetings as a guest over a period of time but not in a single season like Rajkowski? What about that Pole they had about 10 year ago who did about 3 meeting before being sacked because he was a danger? What about Tomasz Chrzanowski? He rode 3 meetings for BV in 2009 and scored a point in one of them meetings.

The idea that all ex-riders get in free is madness. There has to be some cut-off. I'm really not sure what Peter Collins' issue is here, he's been given 5 passes, what more does anyone think he can realistically expect?

I would hope that any speedway club would do the honourable thing for any club legends but any less than 4 or 5 season riding for the club and I think you're pushing it to expect free entry.

One of the problems has to be the drop in crowds, to let 100 people in free when you had 3-4,000 attending is very different to when you are struggling to get 800-1,000. Remember the current promoters are very unlikely to be the same as those who made the profits from the larger crowds in the past when those riders were performing, so you are simply asking a promoter now to take the pain when it was not them who made the gain!

• Like 1

Well his so called love of the club comes across all to clearly.....NOT!

Well his so called love of the club comes across all to clearly.....NOT!

The 'club' is bigger than any one man.

• Like 1

The issue is where do you draw the line to these free riders at BV? Does Michal Rajkowski who rode a dozen meeting 10 year ago get in free? What about Karl Mason who did a season in the NL? What about someone who rode 12 meetings as a guest over a period of time but not in a single season like Rajkowski? What about that Pole they had about 10 year ago who did about 3 meeting before being sacked because he was a danger? What about Tomasz Chrzanowski? He rode 3 meetings for BV in 2009 and scored a point in one of them meetings.

The idea that all ex-riders get in free is madness. There has to be some cut-off. I'm really not sure what Peter Collins' issue is here, he's been given 5 passes, what more does anyone think he can realistically expect?

I would hope that any speedway club would do the honourable thing for any club legends but any less than 4 or 5 season riding for the club and I think you're pushing it to expect free entry.

I find it difficult to understand ex riders expectations to free entry to meetings. It certainly doesn't happen at say football, but I know people and riders who contact clubs and ask if they can come in say the Directors box, and are given an answer based on who they are and why are they there. No probs with that.

In my first year in 1997 I used to stand at the pass gates as a greeter for the club. An ex-rider, not Newcastle, demanded to come in as he said all ex riders get in free. I stood my ground, and he continued to come every week and still moaned about paying to get in. One of the big problems is once a rider does get in, his expectations are that he can bring his mate in, his wife and her friends and it can get quite heated when you stop them. One of my riders told me I couldn't stop him bringing people in, and said if he wanted to bring 22 people there was nothing I could do about. It never happened, but we had a frosty existence then and after. Ironically when I set up my Free training school at Brough in 2008, he was the first to give me advice and help to set it up.

• Like 1

sounds to me like this article shouldn't have been published.

who was the writer of the piece ?

There is no author mentioned.

sounds to me like this article shouldn't have been published.

who was the writer of the piece ?

IT was written by Brian Burford ... if it was my decision (and it wasn't) it would not have been our published without at the very least the BV management been given an opportunity for a balanced response.

Actually in the process of writing a piece for next week's SS but the last thing I would want to do, and won't, is trash PC. He has been a mate for over 40 years and, yes, he has had health issues.

• Like 3