British Speedway Forum
keepturningleft

Peter Collins Article

Sad it has come to this. There are no winners. Ultimately the beef is about the Bernie Colliers, Barry Ayres's and Mark Crangs of the world getting a lifetime free pass to the NSS. I understand Belle Vue's stance entirely.

To side track, how would you rank those three? Ayres the best? Crang was the worst rider I ever saw given a regular aces spot. While Im not sure I ever saw Collier score a point in his sporadic aces appearances.

Fully agree, decent juniors/colts they may have been (Collier and Ayres, from memory crang was purchased, part of a disastrous 85 spending spree), but no way should they be getting free passes.

No one should get a lifetime pass, the sport can't afford it. It's one thing handing a few comps out to ex riders, but freebies to anyone who wore an aces jacket is not sustainable.

No one should get a lifetime pass, the sport can't afford it. It's one thing handing a few comps out to ex riders, but freebies to anyone who wore an aces jacket is not sustainable.

Disagree and it seems the BV management do too.Collins should as they have offered.Morton and Andy Smith,Joe Screen,that type have done enough to earn one,but i'd guess most of the 100 PC thinks should get one are not in that category.And it is also not up to any rider who is in the category to dictate to any promotion

Edited by iris123
  • Like 3

There has to be some sort of criteria. I dunno 100 appearances for the Aces might be a decent benchmark?

There's obvious value in PC being at all Belle Vue meetings. He is a living legend and idolised by anyone with red, black and white blood in their veins. Fans there would love to see him and - in his advancing years - I'm sure he'd get a lot out of mixing with the fans too.

Sadly, it seems like he is cutting off his nose to spite his face over a rather petty cause.

• Like 2

To side track, how would you rank those three? Ayres the best? Crang was the worst rider I ever saw given a regular aces spot. While Im not sure I ever saw Collier score a point in his sporadic aces appearances.

Fully agree, decent juniors/colts they may have been (Collier and Ayres, from memory crang was purchased, part of a disastrous 85 spending spree), but no way should they be getting free passes.

Would you give a pass to Ove Fundin? He rode just 12 matches for the Aces, Ayres and Collier appeared more times.

Edited by moxey63

Disagree and it seems the BV management do too.Collins should as they have offered.Morton and Andy Smith,Joe Screen,that type have done enough to earn one,but i'd guess most of the 100 PC thinks should get one are not in that category.And it is also not up to any rider who is in the category to dictate to any promotion

I would hope that they have offered a Pass to Alan Wilkinson.

• Like 2

Alan was head of the Heritage Club and was a regular last season, unfortunately ill health has hampered his visits this year. Id love to see him back again. He sent his regards to all at the dinner dance.

• Like 1

Alan was head of the Heritage Club and was a regular last season, unfortunately ill health has hampered his visits this year. Id love to see him back again. He sent his regards to all at the dinner dance.

Thank you for that ouch. :t:

Sorry to hear of his poor health.

A bit sad really,surely there is more to PC huff than free passes.I can imagine him sitting in the pub on a Friday night with his 100 mates.!!!!!!!

Oops, text editor issues, lost all I typed (!)....

Edited by Martin Mauger

Great to read the PR opinion piece in this week's Star.

An object lesson in how to write an article that at first glance looks to be sat strictly on the fence.

But is in fact always firmly on one side of the debate.

Very nicely done.

It also neatly spares Mr Burford's puse-cheeked blushes by making no reference whatsoever to his hamfisted handling of the original article.

I am pleased that no one, from the new or old promotion, wants to 'wash their dirty linen in public' as that would not be their style.

The teaser at the end of the article though is quite mouth watering.

It seems that Mr Gordon is off down to the The Star Public Laundry next week with as much 2016 dirty washing as he can find.

Really quite stylish.

I can't wait.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

An object lesson in how to write an article that at first glance looks to be sat strictly on the fence.

Very nicely done.

It also neatly spares Mr Burford's puse-cheeked blushes by making no reference whatsoever to his hamfisted handling of the original article.

I am pleased that no one, from the new or old promotion, wants to 'wash their dirty linen in public' as that would not be their style.

It seems that Mr Gordon is off down to the The Star Public Laundry next week with as much 2016 dirty washing as he can find.

Really quite stylish.

I can't wait.

THANKS for the comment

• Like 2

Very nicely done.

Really quite stylish.

I can't wait.

I can only agree, I would like to see regular point of view articles as a lot of this needs to be said.

• Like 1

Is there any evidence that riders who would have to pay, attend meetings anyway, such as the 'PC 100'?

I have no guilt about downloading some selected music off Youtube and other places 'illegally' and for free because I wouldn't buy that music/album anyway so I am not depriving anyone of any revenue.

Similar scenario here, if you see what I mean.

If they don't go anyway, no promoter is losing money by their absence.

• Like 1