British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulco

Glasgow V Workington Cl Fri 27th Oct 2017 @ 7-30pm

Poor end to not a bad season but not what any of us were looking for.

Think only Lunna and Smith will return out of this years team, time to break it up and move on and thank the riders that have served us well.

just proves when building a team you need to build "A TEAM" not just a bunch chasing the big money as then there egos take over

just proves when building a team you need to build "A TEAM" not just a bunch chasing the big money as then there egos take over

Cook? Rumour yesterday was Worky cant afford his £1400 guarantee per meeting and CC refuses to budge.

Edited by MD

Poor end to not a bad season but not what any of us were looking for.

Think only Lunna and Smith will return out of this years team, time to break it up and move on and thank the riders that have served us well.

Lunna spends to much time on injured list for me !
  • Like 1

As an outsider looking in, it's shocking how Glasgow's season has fallen apart. According to a lot of sources, if it does all stem back to that night at Berwick and the subsequent fallout between Lawson and Worrall, I am surprised that this wasn't nipped in the bud. Really one of them had to go, or at least a way found where they could at least work professionally together, even if they did not to speak away from the meetings. But it looks like things were allowed to fester.

It's good to hear that the promotion are still looking at ways to improve the product (widen the rack in this case). I know they have money, but hopefully they can provide the lead for other promotions to follow to help the sport out of the position it is in.

• Like 1

As has been said many times before Glasgow are not the highest payers in our league BUT they are regular payers and stick to the agreed contract.

• Like 2

As an outsider looking in, it's shocking how Glasgow's season has fallen apart. According to a lot of sources, if it does all stem back to that night at Berwick and the subsequent fallout between Lawson and Worrall, I am surprised that this wasn't nipped in the bud. Really one of them had to go, or at least a way found where they could at least work professionally together, even if they did not to speak away from the meetings. But it looks like things were allowed to fester.

The two riders falling out wasnt the sole reason however that Berwick meeting was the starting point of our decline. Summers seized his main engine that night and wasnt the same thereafter. Up to that point it was abundantly clear Perry had outperformed in the opening weeks of the season and became the 3 pointer he actually is. With Jack Smith largely not at the races we were getting little from reserve, and we also couldnt seem to get a run of home fixtures with three weeks sometimes between meetings. Add in that Bewley forgot to come to the party with the odd exception of Redcar away and the heat leaders were under serious pressure to score and it showed.

Whilst that was happening other teams strengthened up, Graversen replaced Branford at Sheffield, Greaves joined Ipswich, Harris to Peterborough then it was our turn to have r/r for Lunna. We became fragile even at home as the ht 13-15 collapse on the road became common at Ashfield.

Im sure it'll come out in the wash if we tried to make a change but the end of July signing deadline certainly wouldnt have helped us or anyone else.

• Like 4

Cook? Rumour yesterday was Worky cant afford his £1400 guarantee per meeting and CC refuses to budge.

He'll have to double up, if rumours I hear are right it's gonna cost 60 grand to compete in the GPs, but as you say who can pay that sort of money in the championship in the present climate?

The two riders falling out wasnt the sole reason however that Berwick meeting was the starting point of our decline. Summers seized his main engine that night and wasnt the same thereafter. Up to that point it was abundantly clear Perry had outperformed in the opening weeks of the season and became the 3 pointer he actually is. With Jack Smith largely not at the races we were getting little from reserve, and we also couldnt seem to get a run of home fixtures with three weeks sometimes between meetings. Add in that Bewley forgot to come to the party with the odd exception of Redcar away and the heat leaders were under serious pressure to score and it showed.

Whilst that was happening other teams strengthened up, Graversen replaced Branford at Sheffield, Greaves joined Ipswich, Harris to Peterborough then it was our turn to have r/r for Lunna. We became fragile even at home as the ht 13-15 collapse on the road became common at Ashfield.

Im sure it'll come out in the wash if we tried to make a change but the end of July signing deadline certainly wouldnt have helped us or anyone else.

Sounds like a fair summary of the situation.

Tom Perry was at Berwick at the back end of last season. I thought he was a cracking young rider, who never gave up and I thought he would really kick on at Glasgow this season. Sounds like it didn't happen.

And if you are not getting the scoring from your reserves, the last thing you need is an injury to a second string.

The July signing deadline didn't really do anybody any favours. I can see why it was brought in, but it really didn't help teams with genuine, long term injuries.

Lunna spends to much time on injured list for me !

He's one that doesn't huff n puff and gives 100% in every race, I'd defo have him back in 2018

• Like 1

He'll have to double up, if rumours I hear are right it's gonna cost 60 grand to compete in the GPs

Could quite believe it, a phenomenal sum of money. Its not just financial support Cook needs its also trustworthy mechanics on the continent to prep and move his bikes around to each venue. Im sure he could also benefit from a sports psychologist!

He's one that doesn't huff n puff and gives 100% in every race, I'd defo have him back in 2018

I certainly wouldn't knock his commitment and effort but R/r doesn't work for a 2nd string these days.IMO

Could quite believe it, a phenomenal sum of money. Its not just financial support Cook needs its also trustworthy mechanics on the continent to prep and move his bikes around to each venue. Im sure he could also benefit from a sports psychologist!

Quite agree, he took his Cardiff and world cup final performances rather badly,and the added pressure of being captain of team gb,certainly seems to need a calming influence around him even just to curb his frustrations and channel some positive energy when things aren't going well Edited by gregory peck

I heard it was a lot more than that that he needed.

Well this was definitely a result I was not expecting?? :o

But whatever the how's and why's of it all a win is a win and I'll take that any day, a big thank's to all our guests on the night for producing the goods and to the remaining Comets whom also contributed manfully to the job in hand!! :t: :t:

I suppose this is it now, is this the winning swansong to remember us by or the sign of something new for next time around, we'll know probably in the next few weeks so, just gotta sit tight now and, hope for the best!! ;)

yep other teams strengthened up , whilst workington strengthened DOWN with sarj signing !

almost forgot to rub salt into the wound ..

well done mason campton , our 10k rider who done quite well tuther night , 10 +1 i do believe .

also well done the guests for their points , ( ash morris ) with his 10+2 .

thanks to all the agents on the glasgow team for their non input and it wasgood to see your agent keep to his word and have a decent night .

i would have come on earlier , but i was washing my hair ...

Edited by jenga