British Speedway Forum
wealdstone

Rathbone/godfrey Allegations

One wonders how Chapman learnt so soon of the deal between Rathbone/ Torun and Holder. Does this show that Rathbone did in fact speak to Godfrey who subsequently betrayed him to his fellow Mafioso?

• Like 2

Sounds to me that Rob Godfrey has already been hung drawn and quartered by most people on here, i dont think i have read one post saying "IF" he advised, IF he did then there must be some record of it like Albert pointed out...times, dates, messages etc,

I dont see what Godfrey has done wrong.

1. Member of BSPA want to break SCB rules.

2. MC member of BSPA advises the member that in his opinion the SCB will give him a slap on the wrist so go for it

3. The SCB actually properly punish the BSPA member

Ged took Godfreys advise, it was only ever advice because Godfrey isnt the SCB or anything to do with the SCB.

that sounds like Geds been done like a kipper.

One should take responsibility for Ones actions...i will be taking money out from my pension as i reach 55 soon, My ADVISOR says it may not be the best descision but i will go ahead any way,,, If it dosent work out whose to blame?

• Like 1

One should take responsibility for Ones actions...i will be taking money out from my pension as i reach 55 soon, My ADVISOR says it may not be the best descision but i will go ahead any way,,, If it dosent work out whose to blame?

You, and I hope you are of the same mind if it goes wrong

Let's give this example some context. I seek advice by a senior advisor and I'm told I will lose £500. It's not much so I make the decision based on the advice. I subsequently lose £40000. I'd soon be complaining to the relevant authorities..

Let's give this example some context. I seek advice by a senior advisor and I'm told I will lose £500. It's not much so I make the decision based on the advice. I subsequently lose £40000. I'd soon be complaining to the relevant authorities..

is it that simple tho, given that its probly dirty money anyway ?

if a bank robber is mugged in the street as he comes out the bank with the loot, he is not really in the right place to complain, (although some might try).

Edited by ruffdiamond

What if he added that it's against the rules as well. Don't think that your complaint would go too far.

Edited by Crump99
  • Like 2

Wasnt the advice re £500 regards to the fine that could be expected for each match Holder missed (for fielding under strength side).

The £40,000 fine doesnt relate to the missed matches directly but is regards a disrepute charge.

So did Ged ask Godfrey how much is the fine for Holder missing matches or did he ask about whether he would face a dusrepute charge?

Thats where the crux of the case lays as to who is in the right for me.

Well he did admit to taking what amounts to a bribe.

That's exactly how I'm viewing this as well. I find it astounding that Rathbone found it necessary to contact someone else in order to sound them out. He's a businessman isn't he? Doesn't he know what corruption is?

On more than one occasion, Ged Rathbone has openly admitted that he was approached by Torun speedway club and offered a monetary sum to release Jack Holder to them, thereby Torun gaining an advantage. He has also acknowledged that money was beneficial to Peterborough Speedway. That's corruption.

I'm employed by a German owned multi-national, and believe it or not, every year, I have to sit a test/exam, so that the company can be confident I know what different forms corruption take. It doesn't even have to be money, it can even be gifts which in a certain light may be viewed as insignificant, but on further investigation can be extremely damning evidence. In the real world, a £40,000 fine and a possible disrepute charge would be the least of Rathbone's problems. He'd have had his collar felt a long time ago. If it's also true about Rob Godfrey giving him the green light to go ahead, that speaks volumes about his judgement too. He's have probably been charged as an accessory.

What's really depressing about all this though, is the little squit it's centred around has got away scot-free and has been playing his face ever since. The least he deserves is a 12 month ban, and let's leave his visa application to the Poles. He'll soon find out how interested they are in him then.

• Like 4

Whatever the rights and wrongs in all of this, I hope both Peterborough and Scunthorpe both come to the tapes next year as it would be criminal of the fans of either or both of those clubs were to lose their speedway through no fault of their own.

• Like 7

Whatever the rights and wrongs in all of this, I hope both Peterborough and Scunthorpe both come to the tapes next year as it would be criminal of the fans of either or both of those clubs were to lose their speedway through no fault of their own.

From the fans' perspective, that's most certainly true, and they all deserve much better than this. For the two men who are now in the eye of this particular storm, the best than can be said about them is that their judgement is somewhat suspect.

All I will say is this: Had Ged Rathbone contacted me and outlined the problem, I would firstly have told him that under no circumstances should have accept any money, inducement or whatever, no matter how tempting it was. Then I would have told him to leave the decision to Jack Holder alone. If he went, he would cop a 28 day ban, and Peterborough would get a facility to cover, as it wasn't their fault. If he didn't, it was a case of least said, soonest mended. I would have also advised him to contact Matt Ford, as he own's Holder's contract, and tell him everything that had occurred. That phone call would also have been subject of a recording for 'training and monitoring purposes'.

It just seems to me that when it comes to speedway, all rationality goes straight out the window. People make the most bizarre decisions, which they wouldn't dream of making at any other time. What's more, they're simply not learning. I find that incredibly sad.

• Like 5

Does anyone know the legality of this entire situation? There are a couple of questions that need answering.

1. Did Torun make the payment to the club Peterborough Panthers, or the individual Ged Rathbone?

The next point is about who the fine has been issued to, is it the Peterborough Panthers or Ged Rathbone?

Can the BSPA force Ged to pay? They've said that until he pays the fine, his promoter's licence won't be reinstated. This leads me to believe that Ged doesn't have to legally pay. He only has to pay if he wants to continue in the sport.

He hasn't committed a criminal act and neither has he committed a civil offence. I'm not sure where the BSPA go from here, Ged doesn't have to pay the funds back. They're stumped!

Edited by Jeremy Corbyn Fan

the bspa dont need to make ged pay ,

they will just take it out of his bond , refund/ask for any difference .

if either peterborough or ged dont pay , the just revoke his means of being a speedway promoter and close peterborough speedway down .

any person wanting to carry on with the speedway has to find anothe bond and needs a co promoter to be beside them in their first season .

• Like 2

Ged broke the rules and completely sold out British Speedway & Peterborough Panthers. When Torun called about using Holder, Ged should have said sorry but no because Holder is contracted to Peterborough and committed to appear in certain events. By taking the bung, Ged has also broken the contract of using the top 4 riders for a tournament as requested. If Ged refuses to pay the fine and has his promoters license suspended, the easiest way around that would be to pretend to sell to someone else while still being involved in the background. Perhaps Ged should be banned from all British Speedway Tracks until fine is paid. Moving on, Jack Holder surely has to be banned under the current rules, as Cook & Knight were banned for being ill & having no bikes respectively, while Holder was absent earning lots of money for himself against his contract.