British Speedway Forum
wealdstone

Rathbone/godfrey Allegations

More the fool Rathbone for listening to a fellow promoter, and a member of the management committee to boot.

I would not call him a fool for seeking the advice of the vice chairman before making a decision.

• Like 4

I would not call him a fool for seeking the advice of the vice chairman before making a decision.

Yes fair enough, but it would be fair to say any of the advise giving hasn't turned out to be all that great.

• Like 2

That's correct and I have said the same but when the advice is allegedly to break the rules (if they were broken) and take the hit then there is no right here anyway.

• Like 1

That's correct and I have said the same but when the advice is allegedly to break the rules (if they were broken) and take the hit then there is no right here anyway.

The private club will just change the rules to suit

The private club will just change the rules to suit

Depends what independent judicial review actually means. It sounds very grand but unlikely to be a FIFA type investigation.

Regulations for the SGBCL Fours are clear. Asking someone if they can be broken is daft.

It is interesting that you say that but the supplementary regulations (that should have come out two weeks before the Fours) actually came out 4 days before them and days AFTER all teams had submitted their line ups.

The problem here is how much do you trust/have faith in either of them!!

Only they know what was discussed during this conversation (if it did take place) - the one factor that would concern/influence me based on what has been reported so far is why this was never raised previously. If I were accused of breaking the rules, and knew of all the comments being thrown about, attended a hearing to explain my actions and then got punished - I would have been shouting very loudly that I had received advice/verbal permission to undertake the actions I had. I certainly wouldn't come out and announce it weeks later!

I think you will learn that Rathbone did exactly that from the start and has never changed from that story.

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 1

You would expect any requests or advice made to the BSPA/SCB would be made in the form of an email/text message?... If it isn't then perhaps it should be, there needs to be a clear audit trail in order to get to the bottom of issues like this.

As it is... the mud slinging goes on...there's always three sides to every story... the accusers, the accused and The Truth. In this case I'd guess the truth may never be known.

Edited by Albert

You would expect any requests or advice made to the BSPA/SCB would be made in the form of an email/text message?... If it isn't then perhaps it should be, there needs to be a clear audit trail in order to get to the bottom issues like this.

As it is... the mud slinging goes on...there's always three sides to every story... the accusers, the accused and The Truth. In this case I'd guess the truth may never be known.

We had the same a few years ago with FrostMahoney & Batchelor/Andersen etc and the same was said at that time but nobody learns.

It is interesting that you say that but the supplementary regulations (that should have come out two weeks before the Fours) actually came out 4 days before them and days AFTER all teams had submitted their line ups.

Not quite sure of the point here? You have to go with the rules in place at the time. What would these supplementary rules added to the situation. This (HOLDING OUT FOR A HERO) was on the BSPA website two days before the event when it must have been clear to everyone what the situation was?

Guest Scunny2012

Hopefully Godfrey finally has the book thrown at him!

And if that's the case then it's probably goodbye Scunthorpe speedway but never mind we are inundated with tracks.

And if that's the case then it's probably goodbye Scunthorpe speedway but never mind we are inundated with tracks.

and if it's the other way then it's probably goodbye Peterborough speedway but never mind we are inundated with tracks

• Like 5

It seems very likely that it could be goodbye to both Peterborough and Scunthorpe

I dont see what Godfrey has done wrong.

1. Member of BSPA want to break SCB rules.

2. MC member of BSPA advises the member that in his opinion the SCB will give him a slap on the wrist so go for it

3. The SCB actually properly punish the BSPA member

Ged took Godfreys advise, it was only ever advice because Godfrey isnt the SCB or anything to do with the SCB.

Edited by SCB

Not quite sure of the point here? You have to go with the rules in place at the time. What would these supplementary rules added to the situation. This (HOLDING OUT FOR A HERO) was on the BSPA website two days before the event when it must have been clear to everyone what the situation was?

But thats the point, the rules that apply to this competition are issued as a supplementary supposedly two weeks before the event, its not a lot of point going on rules in the regulations if they then change them in the supplementary.

Of course then we go through the 10 teams are in it, then 8 and then back to 10 in the space of a few days which of course consequently costs Berwick their no 1 because he has signed to ride in Poland.

Its a complete crock of Shyte and until someone sits down and re rewrites the rule book, someone who isnt a promoter (referee or someone on the SCB/ACU) then this type of crap will happen every year. The sections of the rule book need taking away from the promoters as they are just not up to the job or trustworthy enough to keep politics out of it.

Edited by bigcatdiary
  • Like 1

Guest Scunny2012

It seems very likely that it could be goodbye to both Peterborough and Scunthorpe

Let's hope neither close as speedway can ill afford any more tracks folding.