British Speedway Forum

I am 75 yrs old and i recon the sport will be dead before me the way it is going

What a gloomy prediction Waco...I happen to think that the actual racing that we witness ( at all levels) is better than it

was 20 years ago...riders improve more quickly on the fast lay-downs which I am told are easier to ride, so the spectacle

is really good and as a result of that I now watch more speedway than I did then. It is true that some of the internal

politics is crazy and that upsets some people as it does me at times....does not stop me going to watch what is still

the greatest sport ever invented   Thanks Johnnie Hoskins !!!

• Like 1

The cold hard facts are that if it wasn't for the so called drop dead any minute oldies

we wouldn't have any speedway now proberbly as these are the people who stuck with

speedway after the haydays of the 50,s 60,s and 70,s when tv dropped it and a lot of clubs knocked

it on the head. so show some respect. the real problem is with the so called decision makers who every year

bring in some new soppy rule like this years 1 x 8 pointer supposed to help british riders but has done the opposite

as all the win at all cost teams have done is bring in a load of foreigners who have never rode here before on

crazy low averages and the silly cant double up if over 6 points mugs two of our most loyal british riders.

as for getting the under 16,s to come to meetings the clubs must engage with them and get them involved during

meetings like lakeside are trying to do with the kids club and through social media meeting the riders

going centre green for few races being a mascot etc. as there are kids going now but all they do during the

meeting is run around playing silly buggers or kicking a football about.

all clubs need to get involved as otherwise I feel the sport will decline even further if possible.

signed a 50 something who believe me aint too old.

• Like 2

Could not have put it better myself Hammer 180'!

Only speedway fans could take issue with someone pointing out that old people will die before young people.

Loving yet more personal attacks from the lovely old people on the BSF too. Love you all xx

Well there are clubs that are looking at the young people getting involved. I think the I.O.W. do stuff, down at

Plymouth I have been there and seen for myself the young fans getting involved on the track in the interval. I

think Kent run a  junior club and isn't our own club declaring that they are to do something similar ?  And I'm sure

these are not isolated things.  I know that a big number of fans are over 50's, but I also see whole families watching

the racing, especially where there are seated areas so that the parents can keep the children near them.  So I am

NOT gloomy about the future of the racing, just worry about some of the silly rules as mentioned by Hammer 180.

On 04/02/2018 at 4:00 PM, arnieg said:

And I thought you were numerate and understood statistical distributions. A very poor attempt to justify your wildly inaccurate statement.

Sorry, I thought you were being facetious, if you're being serious I'll give you a serious reply.

I said half of those over 65 will be dead in 10 years, you proved that half of 65 year old won't be dead. I could take 85 year olds and prove that on average they die in 6 years. Or 90 year old that die in 4.5 years on average.

"50% of people in the U.K. over the age of 65 will be dead in 10 years time" as I posted is NOT "50% of people in the UK aged 65 will be dead in 10 years time" as you have proved. For the record, it's actually around about the age of 76 that you die in 10 years and half the people aged over 65 are under the age of 76 (so  half will be over 76). My statement was correct, half of people OVER the age of 65 will be dead in 10 years time. It's actually about 48.2% of people aged over 65 who will be dead in 10 years if we're being pedantic. 

On 04/02/2018 at 1:11 PM, TonyE said:

When one has reached the bottom of the hole, one should stop digging.

Except I'm not wrong. 50% of people over the age of 65 will be dead in 10 years time and old people will die before young people.

My reference was more along the lines of unnecessarily prolonging a topic where 'agreement' is unlikely (you have made your point, time to let it rest).

Can we get back on topic please, the picture shown of the fans forum could be any club in the land, not just Lakeside, every club has young and older fans, just that the older ones tend to follow their clubs closer because its more of a social thing for them where as the young and middle aged have their education and work based lifestyles which keep them busy.

• Like 1

Personal point scoring is not a topic,,,,Despite everyone being entitled to an opinion.

Don't know if its been mentioned on here but the Lakeside Hammers will have a stall at this years celebration of speedway at Paradise Park, I think this is the first time that they have been represented at such an event and its nice to see it finally happen.

Hopefully the weather will be warmer than it is at present come the 18th

If people want a topic for when old people die any chance someone could create a thread for it. Cheers

Edited by liam