British Speedway Forum

2 minutes ago, bigcatdiary said:

I should think Douglas would be fully aware of such going ons as you put it bearing in mind it’s his club.

All the more reason for an official response.

6 hours ago, marko said:

It’s a shame the modern trend of having only 12 rider individuals is continuing in this meeting.

12 rider individuals suck. I'm working in London and was going to go to the meeting, specially as its in memory of a rider I was a fan of. Then I saw it was the crap 12 rider format. I'll go and find a bar and have a few drinks instead! Is it really that difficult to find 4 more riders early in the season?

More difficult? No.

More expensive? Yes.

It's just another example of how tin pot the sport has become compared to times gone by.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SCB said:

12 rider individuals suck. I'm working in London and was going to go to the meeting, specially as its in memory of a rider I was a fan of. Then I saw it was the crap 12 rider format. I'll go and find a bar and have a few drinks instead! Is it really that difficult to find 4 more riders early in the season?

Actually I make it 13 riders so whether there will be more to come I know not. 

TBF Individuals generally do not get a lot of support from the public these days especially if their are no big names, and the bottom line is that the 20 heat formula is not usually  viable. The object of the exercise, as in the last few years seems to be to give all the home team some track time and sort out set ups before the season starts in earnest and to give the fans a whiff  of methanol after a long winter. 

You could have a few drinks in the Jon Cook Executive Lounge  and enjoy the racing from there of course:unsure:

Fans won’t support individuals if they keep watering them down into little more than unofficial practice sessions.

it doesn’t have to be 16 amazing riders, just a mix of 16 riders with ideally a few from other clubs, it’s not as much fun just watching your riders race each other, we want to see our riders race other teams riders, full competitive racing.

• Like 1

Daytripper reckons there are 13 announced, but I have a feeling our No 1 is not included - is Nick Morris riding?

How much more expensive would it be to properly honour Rico with a decent 16 rider field including our 7?

I would have seen it as early season opportunity to attract new fans to Championship level speedway with a competitive field, which could have included 2 or 3 youngsters such as Jack Thomas, Jordan Jenkins, even Jake Knight, to not only give our reserves a fair test, but also have a look at them with an eye to the future. 

I'll still go I reckon, but it's not exactly an attractive opener.

2 hours ago, hawks 1975 said:

Daytripper reckons there are 13 announced, but I have a feeling our No 1 is not included - is Nick Morris riding?

How much more expensive would it be to properly honour Rico with a decent 16 rider field including our 7?

I would have seen it as early season opportunity to attract new fans to Championship level speedway with a competitive field, which could have included 2 or 3 youngsters such as Jack Thomas, Jordan Jenkins, even Jake Knight, to not only give our reserves a fair test, but also have a look at them with an eye to the future. 

Nick is on the list to ride:

http://www.lakesidehammers.co/all-star-line-up-for-hammers-opener/

git yer sen up t wucky speedway for the fust individual meeting . some cracking riders teckin part . scrabbleman,wells and the mullet taking part and a gud few others .

+two of cumbrias rising stars as weel ..

2 hours ago, hawks 1975 said:

To me it looks a poor line-up for that price,but you could still get a great meeting....

3 hours ago, marko said:

Fans won’t support individuals if they keep watering them down into little more than unofficial practice sessions.

it doesn’t have to be 16 amazing riders, just a mix of 16 riders with ideally a few from other clubs, it’s not as much fun just watching your riders race each other, we want to see our riders race other teams riders, full competitive racing.

I feel differently. Plenty of time to see our own riders racing other teams once the season starts on Good Friday. I quite like the idea of our own riders racing each other just this once. I would prefer a challenge match of scratch teams , something like Nick Morris select -v- Richard Lawsons select or something like Wimbledon used to have, Dons past -v- Dons present, but I suppose it comes down to money at the end of the day . Its alright to say the club should do this or that but early in the season there is a big potential to lose a lot of money. You only need it to be very cold like its been lately and a lot will stay at home.

At the moment I am just glad we still have a club after last years disastrous decision to go NL but we should be getting better speedway this season. I will be supporting it.

13 riders - I wonder what the race format will be.

19 hours ago, TonyE said:

13 riders - I wonder what the race format will be.

You should be able to field an individual event over 16 heats without any rider meeting more than once.

Not over enthusiastic about this meeting which appears to have been hung together without too  much thought.  Would have expected better from JOn Cook.

If it's a bit chilly, my old bones will stay at home.

Theres just too much of a gulf between the standard of the riders to tempt me to this one. Might finally make it to Lakeside this year but will need a more balanced competition than this lineup.