British Speedway Forum

2 minutes ago, noaksey said:

There will be an auction I was told in the pits after the meeting 

I waited around for a while in the hope that an auction would be happening but it didn’t seem like anything was happening - shame if I missed it, but I hope a good amount of money was raised!

10 minutes ago, TonyE said:

I thought Alfie put in a good performance all things considered - he was well placed on the two occasions he fell and was, generally, not far off the pace. I think he will do Ok for a two point reserve.

1st two races he was struggling but after that he was ok and like you say was on the pace but just made a couple of mistakes, he will be ok though the more meetings he has. Can’t judge too much on tonight but it looks like we could well have a very good and exciting team this year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mjolnir said:

I waited around for a while in the hope that an auction would be happening but it didn’t seem like anything was happening - shame if I missed it, but I hope a good amount of money was raised!

I think it's at some future date didnt seem like it was happening tonight. Keep an eye on the official site 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, noaksey said:

I think it's at some future date didnt seem like it was happening tonight. Keep an eye on the official site 

Apologies, I misread your post - that’s brilliant, thank you!

1 hour ago, Mjolnir said:

An impressive display from most of the Lakeside riders tonight, with Adam looking particularly good. More than anything it was good to see some speedway after a long winter!

I spoke to Adam when he left the club a couple of years ago. He said then that he liked the club but couldn't get on with the track but he hoped to return one day and really get to grips with the track. I spoke to him again tonight and he said he was glad to be back and felt is now a much better ride and felt he could now master the track. I think tonight's performance showed he really is a much better rider, and looked to me to have a totally different style. No more hanging off the bike Holder style anymore that caused him to fall off so much in the past. He now looks a far more competent and capable rider. He seemed happy to be back. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Daytripper said:

I spoke to Adam when he left the club a couple of years ago. He said then that he liked the club but couldn't get on with the track but he hoped to return one day and really get to grips with the track. I spoke to him again tonight and he said he was glad to be back and felt is now a much better ride and felt he could now master the track. I think tonight's performance showed he really is a much better rider, and looked to me to have a totally different style. No more hanging off the bike Holder style anymore that caused him to fall off so much in the past. He now looks a far more competent and capable rider. He seemed happy to be back. 

Looked top class and Iam pretty sure he said when interviewed he’s never had so much fun on the track, it certainly showed. So refreshing for us to have some good young riders in the team who will only improve instead of having older riders in decline. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Daytripper said:

I spoke to him again tonight and he said he was glad to be back and felt is now a much better ride and felt he could now master the track. I think tonight's performance showed he really is a much better rider, and looked to me to have a totally different style. No more hanging off the bike Holder style anymore that caused him to fall off so much in the past. He now looks a far more competent and capable rider. He seemed happy to be back. 

He looked so comfortable on the bike - watching him from the back straight he was coming off the 2nd bend so smoothly!

7 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

And on a Godden ! 

How long has he been riding a Godden Jonny? If last night is anything to go by it certainly seems to be working for him!

He and Scott Nichols have been helping with development of the new Godden since last year 

hopefully it will lead to a return of the engines back into competition 

8 minutes ago, Jonny the spud said:

He and Scott Nichols have been helping with development of the new Godden since last year 

hopefully it will lead to a return of the engines back into competition 

It’s always more interesting to have more variety - hope it continues to go well!

Pretty decent crowd considering how bitterly cold it was, bigger than anything we saw for NL racing. It seems like going up to CL was definitely the right choice crowd wise.

The track was in very good condition considering the sort of winter we have had. 

Otbad racing considering the track and tyres were so cold . The first few races were a bit processional but once the riders blew the cobwebs away there were some good races, considering it was only a warm up meeting and nobody was sticking their neck out taking chances. 

Zak did very well to reach the final. Ben had a decent win. Alfie was better than the score sheet implied. Two falls  when well placed cost him points. I thought he did well to twice gate first against some much more experienced riders, but a pity he blew it by falling off a couple of laps later, but that will improve. If he stays on his bike he should pick up points at home. The potential is there but he still has a long way to go.

49 minutes ago, E I Addio said:

Pretty decent crowd considering how bitterly cold it was, bigger than anything we saw for NL racing. It seems like going up to CL was definitely the right choice crowd wise.

The track was in very good condition considering the sort of winter we have had. 

Otbad racing considering the track and tyres were so cold . The first few races were a bit processional but once the riders blew the cobwebs away there were some good races, considering it was only a warm up meeting and nobody was sticking their neck out taking chances. 

Zak did very well to reach the final. Ben had a decent win. Alfie was better than the score sheet implied. Two falls  when well placed cost him points. I thought he did well to twice gate first against some much more experienced riders, but a pity he blew it by falling off a couple of laps later, but that will improve. If he stays on his bike he should pick up points at home. The potential is there but he still has a long way to go.

How do you expect the season to go Addio ? Bowtell, ,Zach,Morley all to improve as the season goes along and maybe even go into the Top league in a few years time .That is  why i hope there crowds hold up it might be possible then Lakeside v Rye House that would be good.

Edited by Sidney the robin

Nick Morris, Richard Lawson & Adam Ellis all looked good.  It will be a huge test for them in the next couple of weeks against riders who are considered 'experts' at Arena like Nicholls, King and Schlein.

Kyle Newman rides the right lines, but just lacks the speed of the top 3.  Zach & Ben were both beating riders with higher averages, something that is vital to our home success.  Their away scoring will determine how good we are as a team.  Zach showed no effects of being out of the saddle for so long. 

Alfie mixed it in a couple of races, leading heat leaders for a few laps, but a few mistakes cost him points.  His style needs refining to prevent these mistakes, but it will be great fun cheering him on every week as he is fearless and determined.

Special note to Ken and the track staff who produced a smooth and consistent track, something every rider wants.  

6 hours ago, Sidney the robin said:

How do you expect the season to go Addio ? Bowtell, ,Zach,Morley all to improve as the season goes along and maybe even go into the Top league in a few years time .That is  why i hope there crowds hold up it might be possible then Lakeside v Rye House that would be good.

To be honest, sid, I think the Hammers will need to learn to function as a 6 man team and leave Alfie to pick up whatever points he can without putting him under pressure. Alfie has a good attitude, he is very brave and determined but he is very inexperienced and still has a long way to go. It’s a pity he couldn’t get a NL place as well, to bring him on. The crowd love him though because he is a trier.

Zach has tremendous flair and instinct for racing. If he stays injury free he should, I hope finish the season as a genuine second string at this level . Ben isa more thoughtful rider who uses his head .He should do ok on the technical tracks but still needs to learn to let the bike run on the big ones. 

Nick just oozes professionalism and we are lucky to have him. My guess is he will score well wherever he goes. Adam will be the sort of rider that wins matches, I would say is now capable of beating any rider in the league if he gates, especially at home. Rich Lawson is probably as good as he is going to get, but is good at most tracks.

Kyle Newman I am not sure about .  He just gets on with the job nor seeming to be doing anything spectacular, but he was joint fourth highest scorer last  night which was pretty good. I would say he is a bit of a dark horse, maybe not pulling up any trees, but not getting  too manylast places either, which sort of what you want in a second string.

Overall I think we are very lucky with the team. 

• Like 3

I think by the end of the season you wiil be sure about Kyle   E I A

Great for the team, no trouble, great attitude and effort (if anything tries too hard at times!)

Will score solid points home and away

Welcome back as a Witch anytime 

• Like 1