British Speedway Forum

Just looking back over the results so far, I think Will Pottinger has been pretty astute in his reserve switches. It seems whenever the score line is tight and Alfie and Ben are together, Will switches Zak for Alfie to strengthen that pairing then switches Alfie and Zak when Zak is out with Richard which theoretically weakens it but Richard invarably wins it to keep a 3-3, b and Alfie gets his minimum 3 rides.

Considering the way a lot of other clubs fans moan about the ineptitude of their T.Ms I think Will has been on the ball so far. Certainly doing a better job than Neil Vatcher.

Hope Alfie is OK after a very nasty spill at Mildenhall today.

Have seen him ride a number of times against the Witches in the last 12 months and he has impressed me with the way he atracks his races.

I think he has something about him that many others dont and was glad to see him get his chance.

Thought the Newman hoodoo had struck again too but thankfully I understand he should be all OK

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Daytripper said:

Just looking back over the results so far, I think Will Pottinger has been pretty astute in his reserve switches. It seems whenever the score line is tight and Alfie and Ben are together, Will switches Zak for Alfie to strengthen that pairing then switches Alfie and Zak when Zak is out with Richard which theoretically weakens it but Richard invarably wins it to keep a 3-3, b and Alfie gets his minimum 3 rides.

Considering the way a lot of other clubs fans moan about the ineptitude of their T.Ms I think Will has been on the ball so far. Certainly doing a better job than Neil Vatcher.

Completely agree - very pleased with our new manager so far.

Will is doing a good job thus far, hopefully he is able to keep the riders motivated because that's part and parcel of the job too, but in some cases the riders might also need to be calmed down when its not going right, a team manager should always be more than choosing the riding order and making subs.

As for the former manager that's been mentioned, a wet towel could have done a better job than him.

I also agree that Will is doing a good job. His use of reserve switches has been very on the ball.

As for Neil Vatcher, whilst he may indeed not have been an inspiring team manager, he does seem to have done an excellent job with the youth speedway set up. There has been a steady stream of kids with high potential coming through the system in the last two or three years. Perhaps he's found his calling?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bryce said:

I also agree that Will is doing a good job. His use of reserve switches has been very on the ball.

As for Neil Vatcher, whilst he may indeed not have been an inspiring team manager, he does seem to have done an excellent job with the youth speedway set up. There has been a steady stream of kids with high potential coming through the system in the last two or three years. Perhaps he's found his calling?

Totally agree he has produced probably the best crop of new riders we have seen for years.

If only this had been set up years ago!

It’s been a good start for us and it’s so refreshing to have a young side full of riders on the up rather than riders at the end of there careers. I have also been impressed with the new manager. Things are looking good.

Crowds are on the up as well, which is the most important thing. Having a young team helps to keep the fans interested.

2 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Any update on Adam Ellis who ended Sundays Grasstrack in a sling?

Scored 7 for Swindon at Leicester last night including a good race win, so all good

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, GWC said:

Totally agree he has produced probably the best crop of new riders we have seen for years.

If only this had been set up years ago!

I think your maybe given him too much credit? Neil is really just an administrator, albeit maybe a very good one? but he isn't the one teaching the kids how to ride to ride the bikes.

However its opportunities however they come which makes the difference so if Neil is behind those riders being able to get a fraction more time than what would normally be available then credit to him, generally in this sport the good one come through no matter what, so long as there is an outlet for them to ride the rest will come with time, there used to be a big transition from schoolboy grasstrack but of course with that in decline so has the somewhat natural source of future riders but there is a whole list of reasons why its harder to attract youngsters in this day and age.

I have seen various young riders tweet about Vatcher so he must be doing something right.

Anyone remember last season a few people going on about how bad Cook was and how everything was wonderful at Rye with the new all singing all dancing promoter? Doesn’t seem to have lasted long does it. Come back to Lakeside all is forgiven lol.

I am sure you were not pertaining to me Liam as I never ventured to Rye House last season (I went to the celebration of speedway and that was it for 2017) but you are probably right in that people will slowly will return to Lakeside from either not going at all or going elsewhere, I am not a Jon Cook fan but I can't complain when he makes decisions for the club that are in my opinion very good ones, we are racing at what I perceive to be the perfect level for this club as it has always stood and for once we have a really young team with riders who are improving whilst down the road (and I do feel sorry for the Rockets fans) they have a team that is really made up of riders that have long since had their day and battling season on season just to maintain the status quo, I think Rye may well look to drop down in 2019 and everything will have gone full circle and like in the old days we will be back to local derbies with them and Ipswich.

16 minutes ago, marko said:

I am sure you were not pertaining to me Liam as I never ventured to Rye House last season (I went to the celebration of speedway and that was it for 2017) but you are probably right in that people will slowly will return to Lakeside from either not going at all or going elsewhere, I am not a Jon Cook fan but I can't complain when he makes decisions for the club that are in my opinion very good ones, we are racing at what I perceive to be the perfect level for this club as it has always stood and for once we have a really young team with riders who are improving whilst down the road (and I do feel sorry for the Rockets fans) they have a team that is really made up of riders that have long since had their day and battling season on season just to maintain the status quo, I think Rye may well look to drop down in 2019 and everything will have gone full circle and like in the old days we will be back to local derbies with them and Ipswich.

Wasn’t referring to you mate, I do understand what the Rye supporters must be thinking they have a team like we had for many years which is old riders in decline and getting hammered on the road. Derbies with Rye and Ipswich would be good I agree and I also agree this is the level the club should stay at.

The crowd was poor at rye last night. The midweek race night doesn't suit everybody. Wednesday's were never that great at arena either.