British Speedway Forum

On 4/24/2018 at 4:19 PM, marko said:

I think your maybe given him too much credit? Neil is really just an administrator, albeit maybe a very good one? but he isn't the one teaching the kids how to ride to ride the bikes.

However its opportunities however they come which makes the difference so if Neil is behind those riders being able to get a fraction more time than what would normally be available then credit to him, generally in this sport the good one come through no matter what, so long as there is an outlet for them to ride the rest will come with time, there used to be a big transition from schoolboy grasstrack but of course with that in decline so has the somewhat natural source of future riders but there is a whole list of reasons why its harder to attract youngsters in this day and age.

Both Neil and his wife are so much more than administors. The amount of work they both put in is unbelievable. The only people who tend to criticise them are the ones who have no idea what they do. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cityrebel said:

The crowd was poor at rye last night. The midweek race night doesn't suit everybody. Wednesday's were never that great at arena either.

According to Jon Cook the smaller crowds on mid week race nights was the sole reason for not going back into the top league. Personally , I miss the old Elite League as it used to be but the most of the top riders are not back in the. PL this year so there doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference between the PL and CL now. I've been reasonably happy with the standard of racing so far so overall I think the decision to go CL has been a good one, especially as we keep the Friday race night.

Anyone know what has happened to the Lakeside Hammers fans forum? It is no longer available, it’s not an official one so I doubt it could have been shut down because people have been complaining about the lousy presentation.

36 minutes ago, marko said:

Anyone know what has happened to the Lakeside Hammers fans forum? It is no longer available, it’s not an official one so I doubt it could have been shut down because people have been complaining about the lousy presentation.

It's still there. Still basically the same old echo chamber with the same old three or four moaners making the same old blah-de- blah complaints about meetings they never go and see. Still moaning because it's not like Hackney where the team was full of "characters" , and every race was packed with excitement, every match went down to the wire, and everyone went home poisoned by fumes from the Boake Roberts chemical works next door. 

Edited by E I Addio
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, marko said:

http://lakesidehammerfans.freeforums.net/

It has been announced by the owning Woodruffe family that 2018 will be the last season that Arena Essex operates motorsport.

I know that Jon Cook/Stuart Douglas have been searching for a new home for the Hammers for a while........let's hope there are some developments soon!!

• Like 1

The statement on FB

Our 40th celebration year has been challenging to say the least and with deep sadness we regret to announce it will be our last.

Contending with our great British weather with the first two months of the season seeing both opening events for the Rolling Thunder Show and King of the Ring events being cancelled due to freezing weather conditions and our own season opener being held in minus 11 degrees followed by a cold and miserable Easter weekend didn't make for a great start to the year.

The Lakeside Hammers on a continuing downward spiral in terms of spectator support as well as having meetings cancelled not just due to weather conditions but ongoing issues with the BSPA to contend with also heavily impacted the Raceway's income.

The above along with the amount of investment needed to just maintain the stadium plus the continued increasing costs for compliance, insurance and health and safety has led to the Raceway no longer being financially sustainable and therefore with great sadness and a heavy heart we have to advise 2018 will be the last racing season for the Woodroffe family.

The final event to be run bringing Arena Essex Raceway's gates to a close will be on Sunday 4th November with the 27th Firecracker.

The family would like to thank all those who have supported us over the last 41 years, drivers, spectators, site hirers, sponsors, suppliers, concession holders and not least our hardworking an dedicated Arena Essex Team.

Join us in our final three months in celebration of the last 40 years

Edited by Brian