Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

No really on subject but I didnt want to start a new topic but I would like to see at least one random drug test done in every match next season

• Like 4

The sad reality is that the current fans are probably the last people the powers-that-be should listen to. The current demographic is ageing and declining, and it's actually those who dont go, and even completely new potential audiences, that needed to be tapped into to find out what might encourage them to attend and at what price point.

You only have to see some of the random ideas, endless discussion about minutiae, and disagreements on here to see how far fan consultation will take you, even though there does finally seem to be more acceptance of the desperate financial situation than in the past.

Now more than ever, the sport needs someone with a vision to rejuvenate the sport, which needs to include radical cost controls, and run with that regardless of the objections of traditionalists. The likes of Tesco doesnt consult me on marketing and products lines, but if I like what theyre selling and its the right price, then I choose to shop there.

From my perspective, the sport needs to work out what it can afford, which riders it can afford and on what basis (how many full-time, how many part-time etc..), who'd be prepared to ride for the lower pay rates on offer, and on what days, and then work out suitable league, team and match formats from that.

Have riders centrally allocated from a pool, with teams allowed to retain a certain number each season, and the rest going back into the pool at the end of the season to be reallocated to weaker teams. Standard agreed rates (albeit with higher rates for star riders etc..), which can hopefully be enforced because riders are allocated from the pool, and possibly pool maintained engines as well. Even better would be centrally contracted riders, but it would be a big liability for the BSPA and I could see issues in getting the money out of promoters to pay the wage bill.

The other thing needed, are incentives for teams to run development programmes. So allow teams to retain and benefit from riders that come through their club junior system for a given number of years.

And maybe the meetings themselves need gimmicks, like 8 rider handicap finales or similar. Something that offers something different from the current tired format. The purists wont like it, but they're a dying breed anyway.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 5

99.9% of the population of the country has no idea who Jason Doyle is or what he achieved today...

I do! He was in "The Professionals" with that Bodie geezer and the bloke from Upstairs Downstairs. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

• Like 3

I couldn't care less if riders in my clubs 1-7 rides for another club, you get similar situations in most sports. What should be important is that a clubs 1-7 turns up week in week out.

What?? Name another sport where a competitor can represent two different teams in the same week.

Let alone 2 different teams in a 2 legged final. In fact with Scott it was 3 different teams in the same competition.

Edited by baldyman

What?? Name another sport where a competitor can represent two different teams in the same week.

Football, it’s full of players that play for the club that owns their contract, then get loaned out to another club for experience.

At semi pro level it’s even worse.

The sad reality is that the current fans are probably the last people the powers-that-be should listen to. The current demographic is ageing and declining, and it's actually those who dont go, and even completely new potential audiences, that needed to be tapped into to find out what might encourage them to attend and at what price point.

You only have to see some of the random ideas, endless discussion about minutiae, and disagreements on here to see how far fan consultation will take you, even though there does finally seem to be more acceptance of the desperate financial situation than in the past.

Now more than ever, the sport needs someone with a vision to rejuvenate the sport, which needs to include radical cost controls, and run with that regardless of the objections of traditionalists. The likes of Tesco doesnt consult me on marketing and products lines, but if I like what theyre selling and its the right price, then I choose to shop there.

From my perspective, the sport needs to work out what it can afford, which riders it can afford and on what basis (how many full-time, how many part-time etc..), who'd be prepared to ride for the lower pay rates on offer, and on what days, and then work out suitable league, team and match formats from that.

Have riders centrally allocated from a pool, with teams allowed to retain a certain number each season, and the rest going back into the pool at the end of the season to be reallocated to weaker teams. Standard agreed rates (albeit with higher rates for star riders etc..), which can hopefully be enforced because riders are allocated from the pool, and possibly pool maintained engines as well. Even better would be centrally contracted riders, but it would be a big liability for the BSPA and I could see issues in getting the money out of promoters to pay the wage bill.

The other thing needed, are incentives for teams to run development programmes. So allow teams to retain and benefit from riders that come through their club junior system for a given number of years.

And maybe the meetings themselves need gimmicks, like 8 rider handicap finales or similar. Something that offers something different from the current tired format. The purists wont like it, but they're a dying breed anyway.

I 'Liked' your Post because it's content is excellent. I did not like the final sentence though - however right you may be. :nono::nono:;):rofl::rofl:

the tired format works ok in Poland and their fans are young because they understand and stick to the team concept and dont accept things like riders going on holiday during his contract and missing meetings. Speedway doesnt need gimmicks it needs credibility Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 6

Football, its full of players that play for the club that owns their contract, then get loaned out to another club for experience.

At semi pro level its even worse.

but they dont continue playing for the contracted team
  • Like 2

99.9% of the population of the country has no idea who Jason Doyle is or what he achieved today...

I must stop calling him Glenn Doyle....

• Like 2

Rugby and Ice Hockey is two!

Football, it’s full of players that play for the club that owns their contract, then get loaned out to another club for experience.

At semi pro level it’s even worse.

But not in the same week