British Speedway Forum

Might be wrong, but I thought the main reason for going abroad was to keep everyone together for a few days, as most ran their own businesses, and were having to deal with their own work problems, if they stayed in the UK.

• Like 2

I think you should read it again. The promoters have 5 months yes from 1st November to beginning of March. The AGM in usually in November and some stay on after the AGM with their families so yes they are arsed to turn up cos they are there. Read it again.

With the UK locations those who have a business to run still try to do so as well as attending the AGM, but have been known to be late doing both. Going abroad limits that. Nowt to do with your conclusion of "not being arsed to turn up". That's just you and your negativity to everything rearing it's head again. Pity the other following poster have jumped to the same conclusion as well.

Totally disagree with you Taffy. Any opportunity to get away is yes an opportunity to have a piss up if you want. During the day of course you start business at 9.00am in the morning, and usually end business at about 5.00 - 5.30pm. those with family share their night with their family and those on their own can quite frankly get pissed if they want. It is their choice what they do after business has closed for the night. Actually there is also a lot of business done at night, in particularly sounding out who might become available for the next season. I remember in 1997 the "HONDA" issue discussion went on till 9.45pm, so not so much a piss up and jolly as you and others see to think. Perhaps you have listened to Peter too much.

Not true that they only have to put their hands up for a decision. Yes there are PreAGM meetings to try and get a consensus of all promoters, but having got there, after studying the consequences, there is usually more discussions, in particularly between the leagues. Sometime a decision indicated, is not agreed and the new proposal has to be thrashed out with different affects of both leagues. One year Terry Russell commented that not one preAGM meeting resolution was agreed, and a host of new proposals had to be discussed and agreed, and that sort of thing takes a lot of time to achieve a harmony with both leagues.

Obviously none of the Championship promoters would have that opportunity and how would Premier promoters know when the gaps were going to be and how would their families take time off at the drop of a hat. Not really sensible is it.

Sounds more like a reply has been dictated to you from the BSPA, have you become the spokes person for them.

UK decisions made by UK clubs in the UK, should be a priority, not taking trade abroad, support the UK economy.

I dont see the venue for the conference should have any real importance - its the discussion and decisions that are key.

• Like 1

I dont see the venue for the conference should have any real importance - its the discussion and decisions that are key.

That is the hope and hopefully they will be meaningful and constructive in the eyes of the paying customers.

Sounds more like a reply has been dictated to you from the BSPA, have you become the spokes person for them.

UK decisions made by UK clubs in the UK, should be a priority, not taking trade abroad, support the UK economy.

Might sound like it Taffy but my reply is honest and true. I know it doesn't fit in with the image that some have of the BSPA and an AGM but they haven't been there, and I have.

• Like 1

I'll never understand why people don't believe the truth, I know your post isn't malicious in any way but Dave has spelled it out like it is the "jolly" or "piss up" are expressions used by those who just don't know and of course eventually don't want to know. My guess is the untruth is more believable, anyway can't hang about time to pack the cozzie and Ambre Solaire!

Edited by Whisperer
  • Like 1

I'll never understand why people don't believe the truth, I know your post isn't malicious in any way but Dave has spelled it out like it is the "jolly" or "piss up" are expressions used by those who just don't know and of course eventually don't want to know. My guess is the untruth is more believable, anyway can't hang about time to pack the cozzie and Ambre Solaire!

the word jolly was said to me last week by a current promoter when referring to the bash in London and it wasting money that could be used elsewhere Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 1

There probably are good reasons for holding the AGM abroad but when the majority of supporters have such a lack of confidence in those running the sport and after another season of farce it's obviously not going to look good. Maybe could have done with something on the BSPA website weeks ago announcing the date and a quick explanation of why they felt it was better to have this meeting in Tenerife.

Fixed race nights of Monday and Thursday's will only work if each team is facing each other once not twice.

If they are looking at increasing the number of teams in the Premiership then you will have more fixtures to fit in the 54 available dates but this year they struggled to fit them into 27 weeks so what chance have they got.

The one way of fixing the sport for all tracks was to cut out the big earners, make it one league where Redcar, Workington etc can compete at a level they can afford and for teams like Poole, Swindon, Wolves etc to come down to that level.

We would all love to see Sayfutdinov v Janowski or Zmarzlik v Dudek but it's not going to happen in a league format here unless it's 14 fixtures run only on Mondays and £20 a ticket. Meanwhile the main fixtures have to be teams led by Kyle Howarth, Danny King, Max Fricke etc and National League number seven reserve in each team.

Many tracks would have two NL reserves but the smaller tracks would have a more balanced line up and a bit stronger reserve.

• Like 1

There probably are good reasons for holding the AGM abroad but when the majority of supporters have such a lack of confidence in those running the sport and after another season of farce it's obviously not going to look good. Maybe could have done with something on the BSPA website weeks ago announcing the date and a quick explanation of why they felt it was better to have this meeting in Tenerife.

But, sadly, the one thing no-one at the BSPA is good at ( or even not so bad at ) is explanations.

But, sadly, the one thing no-one at the BSPA is good at ( or even not so bad at ) is explanations.

Does ayone at the BSPA do PR?

Genuine question.

Why should they have to explain where they hold their AGM. They are paying for it regardless if it is in this country or abroad and it is handy to some to include a small holiday for their family at only a marginal increase. What they discuss and decisions that are made are the only factors that fans need to know.

• Like 1

Might sound like it Taffy but my reply is honest and true. I know it doesn't fit in with the image that some have of the BSPA and an AGM but they haven't been there, and I have.

I can confirm I have also been there on many occasions (UK and abroad) and it has been a shambles whenever it has been abroad. Too many promoters there to have a jolly and then turn up at next days meeting with a hang over.

Problem is they have no one to answer to apart from themselves. Chairman is powerless to fine them.

Obviously I can not talk for the current crop of promoters and how they may have acted recently and will act this year but this is definitely how it has been in the past when I was in attendance.

And before anyone asks I did get suckered in to the fun and games on my first year but after that I learnt my lesson and focused on the job I was there to do.

Ps at the end of every AGM the promoters vote for where the next one should be held. I always championed the UK.

Edited by jchapman

I think you should read it again. The promoters have 5 months yes from 1st November to beginning of March. The AGM in usually in November and some stay on after the AGM with their families so yes they are arsed to turn up cos they are there. Read it again.

With the UK locations those who have a business to run still try to do so as well as attending the AGM, but have been known to be late doing both. Going abroad limits that.

During the day of course you start business at 9.00am in the morning, and usually end business at about 5.00 - 5.30pm. those with family share their night with their family and those on their own can quite frankly get pissed if they want. It is their choice what they do after business has closed for the night. Actually there is also a lot of business done at night, in particularly sounding out who might become available for the next season. I remember in 1997 the "HONDA" issue discussion went on till 9.45pm, so not so much a piss up and jolly as you and others see to think.

Not true that they only have to put their hands up for a decision. Yes there are PreAGM meetings to try and get a consensus of all promoters, but having got there, after studying the consequences, there is usually more discussions, in particularly between the leagues. Sometime a decision indicated, is not agreed and the new proposal has to be thrashed out with different affects of both leagues. One year Terry Russell commented that not one preAGM meeting resolution was agreed, and a host of new proposals had to be discussed and agreed, and that sort of thing takes a lot of time to achieve a harmony with both leagues.

Obviously none of the Championship promoters would have that opportunity and how would Premier promoters know when the gaps were going to be and how would their families take time off at the drop of a hat. Not really sensible is it.

Speaking as I find, and for myself, 'a little bird' told me that is pretty much how these things are run. And in addition, it wouldn't be the first time an idea has been put forward as delegates are getting ready to leave and agreed when they are standing up and putting on their coats. From time to time & 19 years on I still wonder how the Honda project might have panned out...

• Like 1

Why should they have to explain where they hold their AGM. They are paying for it regardless if it is in this country or abroad and it is handy to some to include a small holiday for their family at only a marginal increase. What they discuss and decisions that are made are the only factors that fans need to know.

I agree with you Tsunami, But my point is that the BSPA have a poor record at explaining promptly and fully, what they talked about and how they came to the decisions they did. It is this which some fans feel let down about. One example of this is the Gerhardt engine project. Decisions do often seem as if they were made when people were putting their coats on and getting ready to leave. i.e. Not completely thought through. I hope they will fully and clearly explain this time around re doubling up, guests and r/r which seems to be the concern of many fans.