British Speedway Forum
Paul

The Barry Thomas Story

Every time I saw Thommo he had a fag in his mouth and he was always smiling, always had time for the fans up in the bar after a meeting, a very under rated rider

Are you sure it was a fag

Could've been one of those little pens they use in turf accountants and a well known national discount store

Can't help thinking that Cheetahhawk would have loved this book as I know Barry Thomas was one of her favourite riders. :neutral:

RIP

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

Much missed. :sad: I remember speaking to her for the first time in the car park at Oxford because I was interested that she was carrying a Hackney Hawks bag. Lovely lady.

• Like 1

Much missed. :sad: I remember speaking to her for the first time in the car park at Oxford because I was interested that she was carrying a Hackney Hawks bag. Lovely lady.

Knew her quite well and remember the time that she told me that Garry Middleton gave her a birthday card.

Will Thommo sign a few copies before the launch as i probably wont be able to get there be great if he could.I can remember Thommo riding for England v Russia 1974. i think ??? at the Abbey.Frank Auffrett also rode i can remember thinking god those Russians have some shabby aquipment but god they were great value real battlers.

• Like 1

Will Thommo sign a few copies before the launch as i probably wont be able to get there be great if he could.I can remember Thommo riding for England v Russia 1974. i think ??? at the Abbey.Frank Auffrett also rode i can remember thinking god those Russians have some shabby aquipment but god they were great value real battlers.

...I was really looking forward to the meeting that was due to take place at Oxford but was cancelled due to the weather!

Saw the Russians ride at Swindon during 1976 when they took on 'The Budgies' and lost heavily I seem to recall?

the Russians were poor in 1974 sid. I saw them get battered in the Wimbledon test match. Thommo was in the England side that day.

the Russians were poor in 1974 sid. I saw them get battered in the Wimbledon test match. Thommo was in the England side that day.[/quoteHow are you ?hope you are good Thommo what a rider loved watching him heart on sleeve but at his best was bloody good remember when he beat Lee 1983 Hackney v Poole ?
Edited by Sidney the robin

People buying the book on pre order will receive a signed copy by Thommo

Back Page Summary

'For the first time one of speedways most spectacular riders Barry Thomas tells the story of his 21-year speedway career and of speedway throughout one of its most exciting and vibrant times in the 1970’s and 80’s.

Containing stories and anecdotes from his record breaking two decades at Hackney, his foreign exploits for England in Australia and his tour of the Middle East, Thommo discusses his love affair with the Hawks, his views on his team mates and his rivals and offers a view of speedway uniquely seen not from the view of a high-flying world champion but from a rider who forged a very successful career at grass roots level.

Discover how Thommo literally brought the house down in France, unleashed fire extinguisher horror on more than one of his teammates and he reveals the unusual way speedway riders repair their cars on the long journey home from away matches!

Collaborating with ‘Friday at Eight’ author Chris Fenn and featuring rare unpublished photographs from his personal collection, this is the fascinating story of one of speedways unsung heroes.'

• Like 3

About ThommoHawk FAQ

- This book written by Thommo and Hackney Speedway Friday at Eight author Chris Fenn.

- It is a full-blown book (similar in quality to the Tempus/History Press books)

- It contains many pictures (B&W and Colour) from Thommo’s personal collection, many never published before.

- It features contributions from many of Thommo’s team mates and rivals including 1976 World Champion Peter Collins.

- The book will be launched at the published on 19th February 2018 but pre ordering is advised in advance. Details released soon.

- The book will be limited edition – there will not be a second print run

- All pre ordered books will be signed by Barry Thomas

ThommoHawk – The Barry Thomas Story will be released on 18th February 2018 price £14.99 plus UK packaging and postage £2.50. (International postage will be quoted separately)

Pre order ThommoHawk:

1. Send an e-mail to ThommoHawkthebook@hotmail.com

- Your mail should clearly state if you want your book posted or collected

- If posted please include your full name and address

- If collected pick up will be at Paradise Park on 18th February ONLY

2. You will then be sent a mail containing payment options and further details

All pre ordered copies will be signed by Thommo

I have just finished reading  the Thommo  book and what a  enjoyable  read it was to.I recommend the book to anyone once you pick it up you don't want to put it down.

• Like 1

For some reason I missed this !!! Must be age!!

Anyone know if a copy is available anywhere, it appears no re print is on the cards?? 

7 hours ago, Mjolnir said:

Fantastic book :)

...missed out on this one unfortunately. Tried to get a copy but had sold out!