British Speedway Forum

Apparently the FIM is unable to find a promoter (outside Poland) willing and able to host the 2018 SWC Race-Off and Final under the current format. Manchester was first choice, but it seems the problem here is all about finance. How poor is this?

Apparently the FIM is unable to find a promoter (outside Poland) willing and able to host the 2018 SWC Race-Off and Final under the current format. Manchester was first choice, but it seems the problem here is all about finance. How poor is this?

Isn't BSI responsible for these events?

Surprised by that, it worked well in 2016. I think alternating the competition from Pairs to SWC year on year is a good solution. I love the SWC but it's just becoming slightly stale, few GP riders using it as an excuse to have a mid summer break. Changing it up every other year might help. I bet Hancock would ride if he thought there was more chance of being on the podium...

WITH respect, the One Sport version is for corporate teams not national ones. Stick a Danish, Polish, Swedish and hopefully British race-jacket on the riders and the outcome could be very different.

As one or two have pointed out,this is really trying to re-write history.As i am sure you know it was a national team event at first but they had to change it.Probably for the reason you have been pointing out for years....that BSI were trumped and wanted to also have a pairs comp,but were too slow off the mark.What is strange is having seen how the One Sport version has followed the attern of previous pairs competitions,they still want to push ahead with the project!!!!

• Like 1

Agree with those who say the Poles will clean up for next few years but Manchester showed that away from home its a much closer run thing. Lets have the swc somewhere else other than Poland and no wild card to the final for a weaker home nation. Four best teams to be in the final please.

Edited by marky

Agree with those who say the Poles will clean up for next few years but Nanchester showed that away from home its a much closer run thing. Lets have the swc somewhere else other than Poland and no wild card to the final for a weaker home nation. Four best teams to be in the final please.

That seems to be utopia.Maybe you missed the bit Phil posted about nobody other than Poland wanting to host the SWC final rounds?At least not on the terms offered.And you can bet that one of the terms the host promoter will want is that the home team is given a wild card or they run the risk of getting into big financial trouble.Probably a big part of the problem in running it elsewhere is most think Poland are odds on,the fans think so too,and so it is a competition for the lesser places.Agreeing to host the finals and then not even having the home team in just isn't going to happen.......

• Like 1

That seems to be utopia.Maybe you missed the bit Phil posted about nobody other than Poland wanting to host the SWC final rounds?At least not on the terms offered.And you can bet that one of the terms the host promoter will want is that the home team is given a wild card or they run the risk of getting into big financial trouble.Probably a big part of the problem in running it elsewhere is most think Poland are odds on,the fans think so too,and so it is a competition for the lesser places.Agreeing to host the finals and then not even having the home team in just isn't going to happen.......

You may be right on all those reasons for the reluctance t stage the SWC.

But I have a feeling that the biggest reason will be the financial requirement for staging fees and the difficulty/impossibility of getting those covered out of the meeting revenue without local tourism/government money that has been available from some areas before.

Whereas Gorzow and Leszno have been happy to do this.

Outside Poland it will be very different.

I Imagine a request for similar from Manchester City Council would be met with derisive laughter at the moment.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 1

You may be right on all those reasons for the reluctance t stage the SWC.

But I have a feeling that the biggest reason will be the financial requirement for staging fees and the difficulty/impossibility of getting those covered out of the meeting revenue without local tourism/government money that has been available from some areas before.

Whereas Gorzow and Leszno have been happy to do this.

Outside Poland it will be very different.

I Imagine a request for similar from Manchester City Council would be met with derisive laughter at the moment.

I agree.Big factor as well.Phil touched on it.BSI want too much perhaps and then the lack of sponsors they bring and certainly local promoters can attract

I agree.Big factor as well.Phil touched on it.BSI want too much perhaps and then the lack of sponsors they bring and certainly local promoters can attract

Yes. There seems to be no shortage of takers for all manner of Mickey Mouse championships, yet apparently no one is interested in staging the SWC.

Maybe some, including the FIM need to lower their financial expectations.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 3

Nothing against the Danes but who would travel to Denmark when a burger costs a tenner. Isn't it one of the most expensive places in Europe ?