British Speedway Forum

Nothing against the Danes but who would travel to Denmark when a burger costs a tenner. Isn't it one of the most expensive places in Europe ?

YES it his and not sure where they would host it. OO doesn't seem keen at the moment as he is still battling the local authorities around Vojens to help fund new developments at the Speed Centre.

What developments Phil? A roof I hope!!!!!

What developments Phil? A roof I hope!!!!!

Would hope so too.Or another covered stand would be even better.Güstrow have just built a new one,but they have backing from the local government

As i mentioned before the problem is Vojens now lies in the Haderslev Commune and they are trying to push their new super sports club SonderjyskeE.They have pumped money into Haderslev stadium in 2013 to get it up to Danish Superliga standards.The sports area also has another 5 football pitches with Athletics facilities and 6 tennis courts.Trouble is more money is needed it seems as the stadium still has too few seats to meet danish standards.That is the prestige sports project and part of this sports club is also the Ice Hockey team whose stadium,built in 2011 is situated in Vojens.The speedway has to fight against this new super sports club for funds!!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haderslev_Football_Stadium

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/SE_Arena

Edited by iris123

THE DPJ WILL RETURN TO ENGLAND? WOFFINDEN PROBLEM

05.11.2017 12:39

All indications are that the club and final of the 2018 World Cup will be held in the UK. BW is worried about the image problem, because last year's England team's resignation resigned Tai Woffinden.

BSI is very much looking forward to organizing the Bar Cups and the 2018 World Cup Final. There are no people. I can not do it also Poles, because there is a record that not the same country can not be hosted every year. Poland has carried out the DPŚ this season and will do it in 2019 in Gorzow.

All indications are that the playoffs and the 2018 finals will be held in the UK. There are two locations. Or Manchester, or King's Lynn. In 2016, the bar and finals took place in Manchester and proved to be a success for attendees and spectators (a set of fans and a silver medal for Britain).

Now it may be different. First of all, because of a year ago, United's resignation from Tai Woffinden was not enough. Without it, it is impossible to build a marketing liaison around the DPP on the islands.

This season, the Britons have started without Woffinden. They managed to win the semi-finals, but in the final in Leszno they won only 15 points and took fourth place.

In the British environment everyone is in agreement. Organizing a DPW without Woffinden is pointless. That is why the talks started, so that the third player in the world will return to the squad.

At one point, it seemed that the DPP would return to Vojens (the final final was held here in 2015) at Ole Olsen. However, this is excluded. The facility needs to improve its infrastructure. Olsen talks to the city authorities to support the investment. The CSDP would return, but only in 2020.

If the BSI decides that the final of the DPS will be organized by the British, perhaps the semi-finals will be carried out by Poland and Latvia.

Its not a problem , if he doesnt want to ride then sod him ,lets just hope that something else doesnt become an issue

• Like 1

I think that is all pretty much spot for on.

The great thing about the SWC is that everyone has always had the same number of rides as all other teams.

Every race the score is seen as being the reality of where the competition stands.

The programme just works.

Pairs events are always all over the place in the programme and you never really get that tension from the race by race scoring that has been so apparent in the SWC.

The SWC works because in every race YOU have a rider in it. In a pairs there are heats that just don't matter to you, it's also difficult to follow who is winning.

Te SWC is great, I love it. A pairs? Nah, stick it.

And that's the thing - the FIM allow one of their premier competitions to be devalued by turning it into a glorified best pairs, yet allow the creation of all sorts of mickey mouse events.

BSI should be told very firmly that 4TT format needs to stay, even if it means re-organising some rounds. For example, you could run the two Semi-Finals as a double-header, and then the Last Chance and Final together. That way you'd potentially get 8 sets of fans at one meeting, whilst always being assured of the host nation(s) being involved.

Or if it's a competitive issue, go back to the old league 'type' system. Going back to a pairs format doesn't show much imagination and would be a retrograde step.

Or maybe host earlier rounds in the UK where people seem to back any old speedway. Unlike the Poles and Danes who only care if it has Poles or Danes in it.

Just why does Woffy have to ride? As pointed out, we qualified for the final in 2017 without him. Sod him. I'd love it if we did ride as I honestly think we'd stand a chance but if he doesn't want to ride? So what?

Edited by SCB

I would prefer it if the SWC was dumped completely and we could have a week of League racing in good weather conditions.

Also stage the indoor stadium GP's out of the March - October window!

• Like 1

Every Major Sport now has a proper World Cup tournament as the flagship competition. Why can't we have one for Speedway?

Who says there are not enough competitive nations to track teams for a proper World Cup tournament in Speedway? I currently watch the Rugby League World Cup, a sport that is professionally played in only a handful of countries, Yet the RL authorities manage to organise a great World Cup tournament with fourteen national teams and attracts reasonably good crowds and has world wide tv coverage. It is even shown on German TV, and nobody really knows anything about Rugby League in our country.

How sad to see that Speedway in this respect has fallen behind so badly. The 1973 Daily Mirror Tournament of Nations was the best we ever achieved in organising a tournament with seven proper national teams (England, Sweden, Australia, New Zealand, Poland, USSR, and a combined Norway-Denmark team) in a round-robin tournament, followed by a couple of semi-finals, and culminating in the grand finale at Wembley. This should have been the start of something big, but look where we are now.

We don't even have any meaningfull International Test Matches anymore. There is not even an England speedway team anymore, all we are left with is a "Team GB" ! How often did this team race this year ? Come on, how poor is that ?

I'd love to see the England team in International Speedway Test Matches again !

High level international Test Matches is what I miss most in modern day speedway !

• Like 4

Every Major Sport now has a proper World Cup tournament as the flagship competition. Why can't we have one for Speedway?

Who says there are not enough competitive nations to track teams for a proper World Cup tournament in Speedway? I currently watch the Rugby League World Cup, a sport that is professionally played in only a handful of countries, Yet the RL authorities manage to organise a great World Cup tournament with fourteen national teams and attracts reasonably good crowds and has world wide tv coverage. It is even shown on German TV, and nobody really knows anything about Rugby League in our country.

How sad to see that Speedway in this respect has fallen behind so badly. The 1973 Daily Mirror Tournament of Nations was the best we ever achieved in organising a tournament with seven proper national teams (England, Sweden, Australia, New Zealand, Poland, USSR, and a combined Norway-Denmark team) in a round-robin tournament, followed by a couple of semi-finals, and culminating in the grand finale at Wembley. This should have been the start of something big, but look where we are now.

We don't even have any meaningfull International Test Matches anymore. There is not even an England speedway team anymore, all we are left with is a "Team GB" ! How often did this team race this year ? Come on, how poor is that ?

I'd love to see the England team in International Speedway Test Matches again !

High level international Test Matches is what I miss most in modern day speedway !

Totally agree with you there Bavarian, but hopefully if Alan Rossiter has his way as England team manager he has indicated that he is hoping to undertake several international matches next season, both at full and Under 21 level, both here and in Poland, so the young English lads can gain a lot of experience of both the International scene, which I believe can only be good for the UK scene.

Totally agree with you there Bavarian, but hopefully if Alan Rossiter has his way as England team manager he has indicated that he is hoping to undertake several international matches next season, both at full and Under 21 level, both here and in Poland, so the young English lads can gain a lot of experience of both the International scene, which I believe can only be good for the UK scene.

Used to love the Test Matches and I hope he can arrange that, but it must be difficult with the good riders riding in so many leagues and the GPs trying to get free dates must be a nightmare.

True, but these "good" riders rather shouldn't ride in so many different leagues, but more often get the chance to represent their countries in international matches. That's how it is done in other sports. This would be much more acceptable than riding for two, three, or who knowns how many different league clubs at the same time.

A meaningful F.I.M. competition for full international teams, that is what's missing ! We have the SWC as an annual four-team tournament, fine, that's o.k., but it could be so much better if it was a Team vs Team competition. Even if such a tournament was held only every four years, this would be an absolutely outstanding event for world speedway.

There should be England, England 'A', and England U-21, England U-16 (250cc) national teams, and it should be attempted to resurrect other home nations' team (Scotland, Wales), that's a long shot, I know, but perhaps it could be achieved initially by recruiting some Colonial boys with Scottish or Welsh roots. Bringing up home grown talents should be the ultimate goal of course. This has been done in the past, and it is done in other sports where it works reasonably well.

Aspire to achieve !

• Like 1

The only gap in the GP calendar is early to mid June. The final could be 9th or 16th.

THE SWC wil definitely be in June. We just don't know where and when. Fingers still crossed for Belle Vue.

Personally id be more than happy if its back in Poland, IMO nowhere gets close to the pre match entertainment like Poland!!