British Speedway Forum

One gripe with pairs is the heat winning team can be beaten by the team coming 2nd & 3rd. If you get an exclusion the heat is worthless as a spectacle. I'm unsure what the answer is but winning a heat is not always rewarded fully. Pairs will mainly take away the sight of a rider who is out of his depth being tailed off. Most heats should be competitive with the best two from each nation in every race.

That is worth watching. I'm not worried about having a Brit in every race. In Leszno the Brit was 50 yards behind after one bend in most races. I got no fun watching that on TV..

I've little interest watching the Poles win the SWC every year for the next 10 years. That is the reality of there strength, it's a potential turn off for fans, so it's worth giving a new format a try.

No jokers in pairs, is that right ?

Edited by marky
  • Like 1

JUST doting the i's and crossing the t's ...

For a month? :o

Personally I preferred the suggestion of making the SWC biannual and then reintroducing the Pairs in the intervening years.

Then perhaps after a few years if one competition appears to be working better than another we could go to just SWC or just Pairs.

• Like 2

IT'S no longer 2000. Times have changed. Pairs is a team competition. It's actually not cost-cutting because the fees to the FIM and the expense incurred will probably be more not less.

The fact is that many countries have no interest in the SWC because they cannot track a competitive team. Now they can. Why not wait and see. Lots of people have been pushing for this for a long time.

IN what coffin?

The Poles, Swedes and Danes for starters are keen.

But not the fans!!!!

Personally I always attended the world cup meetings when held in this country... A pairs event doesn't get my attention at all.

I think you will still end up with the usual countries at the top in the usual order!!

The fact is that many countries have no interest in the SWC because they cannot track a competitive team. Now they can. Why not wait and see. Lots of people have been pushing for this for a long time.

I would prefer the current format, however you are right Phil, this does give scope for someone other than Poland to win it. They have been adjusting the format gradually to make this happen anyway. From 5 man teams, to 4 man teams, to host getting seeded to the final. This is another throw of the dice I guess.

I think you will still end up with the usual countries at the top in the usual order!!

Alas, despite what I've just said, I think there's a fair chance you are right there...

Edited by RPNYC

Why!!???!!! You have a great event that is one of the absolute highlights of the speedway year and you ruin it?

If u want a pairs comp why not just have a pairs comp as well, you can run it in a weekend. a pairs comp should be a pairs comp not a three man team. And Id suggest the best way to run a pairs comp is top 4 of 7 to semis, where points are added to score from meeting. Then a final where points are again added (maybe final should be double points to avoid risk of it being meaningless).

But the Swc has been such a terrific event this is awful news.

• Like 2

I hope they at the very least alternate years. SWC proper every 2 years will make it a touch more prestigious if nothing else...

Also wont be a huge shock if OneSport do some sort of Team Version.

This might play into their hands actually.

Edited by RPNYC
  • Like 1

I hope they at the very least alternate years. SWC proper every 2 years will make it a touch more prestigious if nothing else...

Also wont be a huge shock if OneSport do some sort of Team Version.

This might play into their hands actually.

Yeah because everyone will want to see TransmMF v Eko-dir v City Team v eport2000

If u want a pairs comp why not just have a pairs comp as well, you can run it in a weekend.

Because that will cost more money, and they'll still need to pay for the SWC rounds that have presumably become uneconomic.

They can presumably run the pairs over just 2 or 3 events, and it's easier to ensure the host country is represented in each round. But it's another retrograde step for the sport.

Australia won the Rugby League 6 times in a row, and have won it 10 times out of 14 stagings. They don't reduce the competition to 3-a-side though.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

Yeah because everyone will want to see TransmMF v Eko-dir v City Team v eport2000

Im not a fan of them or the Sponsor concept but theres nothing going back to Nations as the originally did

Not happy with this at all.

SWC is one of my favourite events of the year and had many a good day out at King's Lynn.

The idea is to aspire to the standard of Poland (as difficult as that is) not simply dilute the event so someone else has a chance of winning.

Next step will be to have the sgp with one rider from each country and call that the world cup as well!

Nope.Not for me.SWC was as others have said one of the highlights of the season.And although it is likely Poland would win for the next few years,it was only a while ago Sweden shocked us all and won against the odds

You don't bugger around with one of the few things that works in speedway :nono:

• Like 4

Im not a fan of them or the Sponsor concept but theres nothing going back to Nations as the originally did

Yes there is. The FIM will not allow them to use national teams as BSI holds the rights. It's for this reason One Sport had to change the best pairs from nations to sponsored Edited by Noodles