British Speedway Forum

It was only a packed stadium because it was in Poland and they were going to win.

Manchester was quite full in 2016!

Manchester was quite full in 2016!

It was, half the size of Leszno's stadium of course, but it was nearly a sell out. England had Tai in the team, World Champion at the time, so we had a very good chance of a medal.

It was, half the size of Leszno's stadium of course, but it was nearly a sell out. England had Tai in the team, World Champion at the time, so we had a very good chance of a medal.

Not nearly a sell out, it was a sell out.
  • Like 1

Crowds were usually quite good for the SWC, and fans were looking forward to the world cup week each year. Poland did not even dominate as much as Denmark did in the 1980s. The Poles usually won the SWC when the final was held in Poland, but were far from being such a dominant force away from home. Problem was that Poland got the home advantage in the SWC final every other year.

Why is it not possible to continue with the 4-Team SWC at least every other year? Is it the F.I.M. who charge and demand too much from the organisers? What other reasons could there be that no country other than Poland wants or can afford to host the SWC race-off and final anymore?

For me as a fan of international speedway team Meetings there is not much left in this Sport to look forward to. Where can I see any national speedway teams race next season? Perhaps two or three International Test Matchs in Poland again, but other than that there is nothing!

Or is there any senior competion left, other than this proposed poor man's version of the SWC, which is the "F.I.M. Speedway of Nations" Best Pairs event? Probably not!

I get more an more disillusioned with Speedway these days. Sadly it isn't the sport it used to be when I became a fan way back in the mid 1970s.

• Like 3

THE FIM :party:

Unfortunately that must be true.

But it is no laughing matter.

is it ?

What a dreadful bunch of administrators we are plagued with.

Nationally and internationally.

It really does sap one's enthusiasm so much.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 4

MANY people have shown an interest in alternating the previous format of the SWC with a different one, especially if (as it will) involve more countries, many of which see this as an opportunity to perform on the highest stage.

I attended many World Pairs over the years and seem to remember many good finals and some terrific racing along the way.

The fact is that no country other than Poland is showing any real interest in staging a SWC race-off and final. Ole Olsen doesn't want it at Vojens right now because the Danes are scratching around for riders. Same with Sweden and GB if Rosco and Woffinden fail to mend bridges.

The PZM have admitted that they would like four SGPs and the SWC each year but realise that isn't practical and they need other countries to be competitive otherwise even their fans will get tired of winning.

A Final that includes riders of the calibre of (for example) Dudek and Zmarzlik, Doyle and Holder, Cook and Woffinden, Lindback and Lindgren, Laguta and Sayfutdinov, Millik and Vaculik, Lebedevs and one other should serve up a pretty good feast as did the likes of Briggs and Mauger, Collins and Morton, Gundersen and Knudsen, Nielsen and Jan O.Pedersen, Carter and Tatum in the past.

Edited by PHILIPRISING

Cannot argue with your enthusiasm, Phil.

And i have no wish to see anything in the Sport fail.

But the loss of the SWC is pretty tragic.

I'm afraid Pairs have always been 'pants' to me.

ESPECIALLY that malformed hybrid three-man-pair version of recent years.

An oxymoron produced by a moron.

But what does my/our view count ?

Zippo.

• Like 2

IN what coffin?

The enjoyment of this sport. The SWC was the best week of action that world speedway provided. Now it's condensed into one event, where the format is unfair (assuming it is done via the 7 team pairs race card). Has the team that ride for the first time in heat 4, ever not conceded a 5-1 in their first ride using this format? Why is a Speedway 3-3 better when you finished 2nd & 3rd? Awful format. In the past 4 years I've visited places in Poland I probably wouldn't have thought of visiting to watch the SWC race-off & final. I'm not going anywhere to watch the rumored reformatting of the SWC.

The fact is that no country other than Poland is showing any real interest in staging a SWC race-off.

Have you ever been to a SWC race-off in Poland? Except for a few hundred tourists, it is empty. The Poles really don't give a moneys uncle about it.

I attended many World Pairs over the years and seem to remember many good finals and some terrific racing along the way.

The six guys in a heat format was fantastic, cost Cradley a trophies that did with injuries to Jan O Pedersen & Simon Cross.

The pairs format is the worst format in Speedway.

• Like 1

Not gonna work. SWC is a great week of speedway as it is.

Just look at the attendances of this years Pairs events. They were dismal, lacks in enthusiasm and credibility all round.

Why fix something when it isn't broken?!

This years SWC was a great weekend in Manchester.

A Final that includes riders of the calibre of (for example) Dudek and Zmarzlik, Doyle and Holder, Cook and Woffinden, Lindback and Lindgren, Laguta and Sayfutdinov, Millik and Vaculik, Lebedevs and one other should serve up a pretty good feast as did the likes of Briggs and Mauger, Collins and Morton, Gundersen and Knudsen, Nielsen and Jan O.Pedersen, Carter and Tatum in the past.

I know they are only examples,but it shows the weakness of the argument.

Dudek and Zmarzlik,yes they do look a good pair,but Holder could well carry on being off the boil.We don't know if Woffy will represent GB,so could be a weak pair,Antonio could be off the boil,so who knows,Laguta and Emil,ok i'll give you that.Then we really get some made up pairing of Milik and Vaculik or throw in Zagar all from different countries!!!! Will we get Hancock thrown in with someone from Europe? And then you see how poxy the idea becomes.It won't be strong enough,so do we get a Poland 'B' and 'C' and...........

Not gonna work. SWC is a great week of speedway as it is.

Just look at the attendances of this years Pairs events. They were dismal, lacks in enthusiasm and credibility all round.

Why fix something when it isn't broken?!

This years SWC was a great weekend in Manchester.

THERE wasn't a World Pairs event this year. Racing for your country is a lot different to racing for a sponsor. And, anyway, as yet we don't know the format but there will be more than one meeting,.

MANY people have shown an interest in alternating the previous format of the SWC with a different one, especially if (as it will) involve more countries, many of which see this as an opportunity to perform on the highest stage.

The fact is that no country other than Poland is showing any real interest in staging a SWC race-off and final. Ole Olsen doesn't want it at Vojens right now because the Danes are scratching around for riders. Same with Sweden and GB if Rosco and Woffinden fail to mend bridges.

The PZM have admitted that they would like four SGPs and the SWC each year but realise that isn't practical and they need other countries to be competitive otherwise even their fans will get tired of winning.

If it's alternated, as you say here, then that's ok with me.

Having a World Cup every two years would still keep that event going, which is what, I think, is most people's worry. Having it every other year might, actually, increase its appeal.