British Speedway Forum

A little more info about Smederna's interest in arranging SWC. http://www.aktuellspeedway.se/fim/world-cup/eskilstuna-kan-fa-vm-final/

Basically Smederna have sent in a notification of interest and are awaiting a more substantial reply. Once they know more Smederna will then

evaluate FIM/BSI's answer and then decide if they still are interested or not depending on economical factors and etc.

DON'T think it will be there...

Western European Islands or Pretanic Isles?

SARCASM is the lowest form of wit ...

DON'T think it will be there...

SARCASM is the lowest form of wit ...

JUST for t he record ... Vaculik was born in Czechoslovakia

So on that basis we could have Czech Republic, Slovakia and Czechoslovakia teams? I suppose it's one way of padding out the competition.

• Like 1

I cannot believe that you are perpetuating this daft train of thought.

On the almost monthly 'Tai is an Aussie' thread we end up with people pointing out that 'Jason Crump was born in Bristol' or 'Mark Loram was born in Malta'.

All of no relevance whatsoever.

And here you are doing something very simlar.

Really, really weird.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 2

Time for Mr Rising to restrict his comments to facts, otherwise the whole sorry saga will get out of hand

It was mildly amusing to begin with - the "mixed" teams

Surprised no one suggested a pool of guest riders from non-competing nations on stand-by in case they're needed!

Pairs events cannot be taken seriously until a decent, credible scoring method is established

1st and 2nd / 1st and 3rd - one can see the winning pair

But 1st and 4th v 2nd and 3rd - which pair wins?

• Like 2

Time for Mr Rising to restrict his comments to facts, otherwise the whole sorry saga will get out of hand

It was mildly amusing to begin with - the "mixed" teams

Surprised no one suggested a pool of guest riders from non-competing nations on stand-by in case they're needed!

Pairs events cannot be taken seriously until a decent, credible scoring method is established

1st and 2nd / 1st and 3rd - one can see the winning pair

But 1st and 4th v 2nd and 3rd - which pair wins?

You raise an excellent point on the pairs scoring.

It is another annoying part of this daft format of Speedway.

Personally I would NEVER change from 3-2-1-0 for any match of any type.

And I absolutely hate those pairs events that do 4-3-2-0.

But chances are that with folk who actually think Jokers are a good idea in a World Championship Final and have forced them on us for over 15 years.

Just about ANYTHING is possible with this latest folly.

• Like 2

JUST for the record....Zagar was born in Yugoslavia.

• Like 1

Well that's the ultimate conclusion. Nation X can't track a side, so draft in some random riders whom you wouldn't normally see in the 'Speedway of Nations' to ride for some composite team to make up the numbers.

Bound to be a winner, just like the OneSport version is with teams you can really identify with.

Of course, how many Football World Cups did George Best and Ryan Giggs play in?

JUST for the record....Zagar was born in Yugoslavia.

Yugoslovenia?

Just for the record, I was born in England.

But what's that got to do with the price of bread?

If Millik had arrived on this planet four months earlier he and Vaculik would have been born in the same country. I will keep stirring the pot as you lot seem to be enjoying yourselves so much.

When Czechoslovakia split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia, what happened to the "O's"?

The serious point is that I've only seen negative feedback to this announcement.

An alternating World Cup and World Pairs would have worked.

But this bizarre new idea is unlikely to succeed. How many years until normality is restored and dear old Armando (great character, but a little out of depth in his current role) is put out to pasture?

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 4

The problem is Philip, that you can't just lump the Czech Republic and Slovakia together and say oh, well, they used to be one country. There is a reason why they are two countries now and that is because Slovakia voted to be independent. I really don't think they would take too kindly to some outside body coming along and telling them that as far as they are concerned this vote never happened. It would be like telling the Irish that they are British really.

• Like 1

ARMANDO is perfectly suited to his role. Passionate about speedway, has a strong voice within the FIM. Just because a few posters on here don't like the new proposal doesn't necessarily reflect the wider view across the continent.

As I said before, we will have a better idea next July after the initial staging of the event.

The problem is Philip, that you can't just lump the Czech Republic and Slovakia together and say oh, well, they used to be one country. There is a reason why they are two countries now and that is because Slovakia voted to be independent. I really don't think they would take too kindly to some outside body coming along and telling them that as far as they are concerned this vote never happened. It would be like telling the Irish that they are British really.

HOW many more times, it was just an off the cuff remark. Get a life ...