British Speedway Forum

Thanks.....any ideas on the otther questions? :t:

I WILL enquire as not involved but I believe the averages are compiled in-house from copies of the programmes provided by the referees.

AT my age everything is slipping ...

I know the feeling! I'm only a year younger than you!

So Ive spoken to someone involved in the SWC at a very high level and he informs me that the SWC will NOT have a Czechoslovakia team or any other made up or historic nations.

So Ive spoken to someone involved in the SWC at a very high level and he informs me that the SWC will NOT have a Czechoslovakia team or any other made up or historic nations.

Thatll be the day when the Czechoslovakian FMN will be applying and given an allocation... :lol:

Because that will cost more money, and they'll still need to pay for the SWC rounds that have presumably become uneconomic.

They can presumably run the pairs over just 2 or 3 events, and it's easier to ensure the host country is represented in each round. But it's another retrograde step for the sport.

Australia won the Rugby League 6 times in a row, and have won it 10 times out of 14 stagings. They don't reduce the competition to 3-a-side though.

The Rugby League World Cup runs on hype and reputation. You get a handful of close games, a huge number of mismatches then the Aussies win a couple of games and are given the trophy.

It makes the SWC look like a paragon of sporting virtue.

Ah well, one of my favourite weeks of the year gone :-(

What's left to ruin on the altar of the Ekstraliga and SGP? If the money's not there then someone's not doing their job!

Edited by Rob McCaffery

Thatll be the day when the Czechoslovakian FMN will be applying and given an allocation... :lol:

Well I wonder what Federation applied under the Team Adria name when a mix of Croats and Slovenians rode in the 2009 world U21 team comp? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am thinking in a few years time,when the applications for this comp drop off and we have a decent stadium with a promoter who has a bit of money to throw about in Gorican,but no team,do we see the resurrection of Team Adria?

Edited by iris123

Well I wonder what Federation applied under the Team Adria name when a mix of Croats and Slovenians rode in the 2009 world U21 team comp? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am thinking in a few years time,when the applications for this comp drop off and we have a decent stadium with a promoter who has a bit of money to throw about in Gorican,but no team,do we see the resurrection of Team Adria?

Cant remember the timeline of this, but do remember Team Adria. If you think it the other way around, it was a good save by the FIM, as the meeting could have just as easily been cancelled all together.

Cant remember the timeline of this, but do remember Team Adria. If you think it the other way around, it was a good save by the FIM, as the meeting could have just as easily been cancelled all together.

So you are actually agreeing and saying there could be a situation where Czechoslovakia or some other name could enter if the FIM are in a tight spot? :P That is all that was being asked.I thank you

For some reason there looked like a total mismatch in the rounds, and it near always turned out that the weaker Teams went out ,but there was some cracking races from their riders and no lack of effort.I will miss it.

At the moment, all I can see arising is a modified version of the early One Sport pairs competition, where the teams rode as national pairs before it became the trade teams of the past couple of years.

Philip Rising might be an advocate of Castagna having passion for speedway and influence in the FIM, but his track record is pretty poor; World Under 21's in Argentina, the World League etc...I hope his ''Speedway of Nations' proves better. It may result in a few extra FMN's entering teams, such as Finland and Norway, but I guess proof will be in the pudding when the nominations close.

So you are actually agreeing and saying there could be a situation where Czechoslovakia or some other name could enter if the FIM are in a tight spot? :P That is all that was being asked.I thank you

Clearly credibility would be diminished by having made up countries in a World Final but to be fair Cricket and Rugby seem more than happy to include a team representing Ireland. Consisting of players from both the Republic of and Northern Ireland/Ulster which is it's own powder keg.

Indeed both sports have national teams made up of many different nationalities. Not just the minnows either. England, Australia and New Zealand rugby teams are often supplemented by South Sea Islanders on spurious residency rules.

The Rugby League world cup had a team representing Lebanon which, without knowing for certain, is unlikely to have its own league system and was likely made up of immigrant Aussies not good enough for the Australian team.

Makes Holta riding for Poland seem quite normal.

So whilst a Milik/Vaculik pairing would be farcical other sports seem to get away with it.

I totally agree with the general consensus here that the 4TT SWC format will be a massive miss in 2018. The Swedish qualifying round this year was sensational.

Now if Poland's dominance was a problem in so much as there is limited interest in staging the event how about..... ,,,and I appreciate this goes against the ethos of the winners being the best in the world but bear with me....... ......why not have a SWC excluding any SGP riders???

Presently the likes of Hancock, Woffinden & Pedersen have opted out anyway so why not exclude them all. Effectively Poland would lose 4 and the other nations would 2 or 1 rider with the likes of Slovenia and Slovakia never making the later rounds anyway.

Certainly Poland would still be competitive and arguably still favourites but it might make the likes of Czech Republic, Latvia and Germany more competitive?

Just a thought......

With regard to pairs competitions I agree the 7 team heat format isn't ideal. Plus I still see Poland dominating, although the one off final obviously adds some jeopardy to that.

I've often wondered if using the old knock out grand prix format would suit pairs better? I can't quite remember how it worked but I think it was 24 riders so 12 teams and if you lost a heat your next heat was an eliminator. Problem being some teams would only get 2 rides before being eliminated. I've tried to work out a further re-pecharge here https://app.box.com/s/fzngmofjdpxqb3ycqmkihyjmezg8mepe

but never got around to finishing it.

In the gp format the riders in 1st and 2nd progressed for the pairs the team avoiding last place would progress. Similar to 4-3-2-0 but in this format the 4 points/win means nothing if your team mate is last. Surely encouraging team riding???

Might make the pairs event a little more interesting.

Team riding, as in pairs, works fine for me at club level. No doubt BSF members well remember classic team riding by a heat leader protecting a less senior rider to a win.

But as a world championship spectacle, for me it doesn’t appeal at all. At world level I want to see individuals fighting it out to win solo points in every race, bringing the best out of solo effort. Team riding as in 4 man team, one in each race still gives “solo” racing and therefore create an interest for me. Anything manufactured to make pairs racing attractive at world class level will fail in my eyes, therefore has no interest to me.

• Like 1

When Finland was about to drop out from U21 team quali in Gustrow a week before the meeting, it was a choice between 1) Be there 2) fines between 10-100k and a cancelled meeting. We went and the meeting was ridden.

I dont know what their policy is at the moment, but riding a meeting seems better than cancelling it alltogether. Especially if it's one of two towards a final.

So I might be agreeing that FIM can allow it to happen, but dont agree that it should be done. But the sad fact is that it's all going downhill and at times they just need to swing it. :neutral:

Team riding, as in pairs, works fine for me at club level. No doubt BSF members well remember classic team riding by a heat leader protecting a less senior rider to a win.

But as a world championship spectacle, for me it doesn’t appeal at all. At world level I want to see individuals fighting it out to win solo points in every race, bringing the best out of solo effort. Team riding as in 4 man team, one in each race still gives “solo” racing and therefore create an interest for me. Anything manufactured to make pairs racing attractive at world class level will fail in my eyes, therefore has no interest to me.

I agree completely.

I think I have already nailed my colours to the mast ... I really dont like any type of pairs event.

But what is this obsession with doing something extra in pairs events to 'encouraging team riding' ?

We don't feel compelled to do that in league racing.

After all, the team riding that really sets the pulse racing is (usually) a 5-1.

As far as I am concerned ALL Speedway scoring whould be 3-2-1-0.

A second and third is EQUAL to a win..

End of.

Any contrivance that promotes the idea that winning a race is not the be all and end of Speedway is bonkers.

It is a triumph of medoctracy with pairs settling for the minor places and giving up the race for the lead.

That is not what we want happening race after race at a major championship

The 21 heat 7 pairs format does at least allow the normal scoring to be used and mostly gives a decisive result.

And a simple match race decides a tie.

But is a bloody stupid subsitutue for the SWC.

Edited by Grand Central