Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Clearly credibility would be diminished by having made up countries in a World Final but to be fair Cricket and Rugby seem more than happy to include a team representing Ireland. Consisting of players from both the Republic of and Northern Ireland/Ulster which is it's own powder keg.

Ireland has a long history of competing in various sports as a country and then island, so it's hardly a made-up team.Players have happily competed in both rugby union and cricket for an All-Ireland for decades, and it's only in football where you seem to get the sectarian silliness.

The Rugby League world cup had a team representing Lebanon which, without knowing for certain, is unlikely to have its own league system and was likely made up of immigrant Aussies not good enough for the Australian team.

The RL World Cup is a joke though - trying to disguise that basically only five countries (even less than speedway) play the sport in any meaningful way.

100% team riding must be encouraged, team riding or at least having a good understanding wins at the end of the day .... The countries will have to choose their teams, will be a good comp imo

Just got my copy of Spar and read the Castagna bit. Only WTF moment I got from it was when 125cc and 250cc was mentioned... What do they have to do with the ultimate prize in team speedway?

Ireland has a long history of competing in various sports as a country and then island, so it's hardly a made-up team.Players have happily competed in both rugby union and cricket for an All-Ireland for decades, and it's only in football where you seem to get the sectarian silliness.

The RL World Cup is a joke though - trying to disguise that basically only five countries (even less than speedway) play the sport in any meaningful way.

Isn't it the case that when the Republic was formed, the aim was(still is I think though maybe they dropped the official bit for the Good Friday agreement)a United Ireland.The saw the whole island as one country and so anyone who is born in the 6 counties is entitled to citizenship of the Republic.Not sure that is the case if someone is born in Slovenia that they are entitled to citizenship of Croatia or someone born in Czech Republic is entitled to citizenship of Slovakia

Ireland and the UK is a somewhat special case because of the history.Basically England or Scotland shouldn't really be represented in sport as they aren't sovereign countries,but because of the fact they were competing right at the start of many sports they have managed to keep their places,sometimes against others wishes.Scotland and Wales etc can compete in Rugby or even the Commonwealth Games,but Scotland aren't even allowed to compete in speedway any more,ignoring the fact they probably couldn't get a team together over the past few decades.There is also the special case of Northern Irish boxers competing for the Republic,rather than GB and Northern Ireland.Wayne McCullough from the protestant Shankill Rd(I think) won an Olympic medal for the Republic

As for Lebanon in Rugby.no idea.But maybe it is similar to Turkey or one or two ex-Soviet countries,who hand out citizenship almost on the spot for African athletes,to help with their Olympic medal totals.Or the Arab country that hosted the world handball finals and almost made it to the final with a whole host of ex-Yugoslavian countries players and hardly a home born player at all.........

Isn't it the case that when the Republic was formed, the aim was(still is I think though maybe they dropped the official bit for the Good Friday agreement)a United Ireland.The saw the whole island as one country and so anyone who is born in the 6 counties is entitled to citizenship of the Republic.Not sure that is the case if someone is born in Slovenia that they are entitled to citizenship of Croatia or someone born in Czech Republic is entitled to citizenship of Slovakia

The original idea of course, was for Ireland to become a federated dominion within the British Empire, but Northern Ireland opted out of the proposed state.

But there was no real Independence Day whereby whats now the Republic became a fully sovereign nation. It happened in various stages, and only achieved its current status in 1949. But sport went on regardless...

All Ireland sport is one of these modern day curiosities, but the Home Nations were amongst the earliest participants in modern day sport, and were competing long before half the countries in the world existed.

The original idea of course, was for Ireland to become a federated dominion within the British Empire, but Northern Ireland opted out of the proposed state.

But there was no real Independence Day whereby whats now the Republic became a fully sovereign nation. It happened in various stages, and only achieved its current status in 1949. But sport went on regardless...

All Ireland sport is one of these modern day curiosities, but the Home Nations were amongst the earliest participants in modern day sport, and were competing long before half the countries in the world existed.

Of course,but as early as 1922 the Free State Government stated anyone born in the island of Ireland or had parents that were born there was entitled to citizenship.Of course,at the time it didn't mean much and had no official international recognition,but that has been their stance ever since,i think

Of course,but as early as 1922 the Free State Government stated anyone born in the island of Ireland or had parents that were born there was entitled to citizenship.Of course,at the time it didn't mean much and had no official international recognition,but that has been their stance ever since,i think

Theres numerous examples of countries granting citizenship on the basis of irredentist claims.

Theres numerous examples of countries granting citizenship on the basis of irredentist claims.

We don't need to complicate the topic on here too much.The main thing is it has been necessary even in speedway lately to have citizenship of a country to represent them in a team.That is why Rune Holta could ride for Poland and that is why Matej Ferjan could eventually,after a hiccup or two, ride for Hungary.I hope this situation carries on and we don't end up with Team Adria or Team Slovaczech etc

It was by sheer coincidence that I was yesterday reading an online topic about changing the words of the Irish national anthem and the rugby players were getting a lot of support for singing,whilst the football players were getting a bit of a slagging for not singing along.....

Edited by iris123

I couldn't really get to grips with what Armando was saying in the star. Seemed like a fair amount of gibberish. However Im trying to think of some plus points if in fact next years 'world cup' is the same sort of format as that of the World Games in Wroclaw

Positives being:

Russia, Aus, GB, Poland, Denmark, Sweden would all have teams that could win

Latvia, Germany, USA, Cze Rep, would have teams that could be competitive & spoilers

Having this every other years would make this and the SWC more prestigious to win

Will see a few more world class riders who we dont see on this stage

The negatives being:

The SWC provides great racing year in year out

Pairs simply isnt a team competition

We will robbed of 3 meetings we all enjoy (events 1/2 & race off)

Pairs events in the past not been overly popular.

Not overjoyed that SWC is being taken away from us, but I guess we will have to wait and see if this is as bad as most on here are saying or if it might actually be pretty good.

Edited by RPNYC

HAD a long "off the record" briefing from Torben Olsen on Tuesday and one thing (the only thing) I can tell you is that the new competition will be different to anything that has gone before.

HAD a long "off the record" briefing from Torben Olsen on Tuesday and one thing (the only thing) I can tell you is that the new competition will be different to anything that has gone before.

that is good, because we already have a European Pairs Championship (since 2004) and we don't need this twice as a double-up world pairs too

I've got it. Each pair will be on the same bike. Tandem speedway bikes. Sounds good to me!

So they havent got a clue what to do then?

Whats the big secret? Dont they need to let federations and host tracks know so they can plan their seasons?

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

So they havent got a clue what to do then?

Whats the big secret? Dont they need to let federations and host tracks know so they can plan their seasons?

No clue, my thougts exactly. But also I think that SWC was dumped because there was not enough entries.

And yes they do.

Sounds more ominous, than exciting.

It seems that 2017-18 is to be marked by a concerted lack of clarity from the administrators on the decisions made at their respective conferences.

To the point of a 'news blackout' on particular elements.

The BSPA seemed to have made important rule changes at their AGM that were not communicated publicly and then even changed them as well afterwards. Or not.

Now we have the FIM throwing the Premier World Team Event out of the window and are replacing it with some sort of event the like of which has never been seen before. And they are keeping it secret.

Or only telling ther family friends.

Those who have agreed not to tell anyone else.

I wonder why all successful sports are not run in this clearly superior fashion.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 4