British Speedway Forum

I suppose it depends what sort of restuarants one frequents.

General speaking I would choose something that I knew I liked from the menu

That could be (say) Sirloin cooked medium rare.

Not Liver or any other offal.

If I sat down at my table and was told I had no say in what I was to eat.

But had to hold my nose for a 'variety meat' selection of whatever was left in the kitchen.

Then I may make my excuses and leave.

But to request that I eat it first.

And then just HOPE that I did not throw up later.

No. Thank. You.

YOU can do better than that ... or at least I thought you could.

WAS chatting with Kelvin Tatum yesterday who said he enjoyed riding in the World Pairs and in many ways thought it as much of a TEAM competition as the World Team Cup as it was in his day including when he captained GB to their last victory. He explained that he, and no doubt others, liked having a partner in the same race and that as a pair you could try and help one another. 

He added that there will be fantastic riders in the event so why shouldn't the racing be terrific. There is something extra special about racing for your country and that applies as much for the pairs as the SWC he said.

• Like 1

So that is one more 'vote' for the new format.

Well done !

As that side seem to be lagging a fair bit behind at the moment

I suppose KT could be coming in as. a 'Joker' to record double votes for his 'team'.

As I am sure the organisers will want to 'pep' the competition up with such exciting ideas that have been loved by so many in the sport before.

This could turn into a winter long series.

Edited by Grand Central

Far be it for me to suggest any such thing.

But feel free to enlighten me on an alternative forum, discussion site or any other online facilty that offers such a representation of the 'wider soeedway public' that you consider better.

If one exists.

Then I imagine that you, and me, would be contributing to that.

And not lurking around here.

AS with the bsf and other forums of a wide variety of subjects, the majority are generally silent.

Always amuses me when reading that five people have complained about a TV programme watched by millions.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to the pairs format again, I just felt the last few years things had become very 'samey' with the way the draw would be and didn't really mean much to people until the final when Poland would win anyway.

Be interesting how the points scoring will be though, 4-3-2-0 or 3-2-1-0, that will make a big difference with some of the nations.

2 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

WAS chatting with Kelvin Tatum yesterday who said he enjoyed riding in the World Pairs and in many ways thought it as much of a TEAM competition as the World Team Cup as it was in his day including when he captained GB to their last victory. He explained that he, and no doubt others, liked having a partner in the same race and that as a pair you could try and help one another. 

Errr.. yes, but there was also a 4TT format where riders rode in pairs.

17 minutes ago, stevehone said:

I'm looking forward to the pairs format again, I just felt the last few years things had become very 'samey' with the way the draw would be and didn't really mean much to people until the final when Poland would win anyway.

Be interesting how the points scoring will be though, 4-3-2-0 or 3-2-1-0, that will make a big difference with some of the nations.

Not so much 'interesting' as 'crucial'

Surely no one could countenance a World Championship level event which gave more points to the pair who come second and third?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

Not so much 'interesting' as 'crucial'

Surely no one could countenance a World Championship level event which gave more points to the pair who come second and third?

DON'T think that will be the case

3 hours ago, stevehone said:

But the draw was done by the same people who will be doing the draw for the new competition.Surely that won't change much?

• Like 1

The pairs scoring system should be 4-2-1-0

The rider winning should win the heat and will encourage a better battle for the minor places

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:34 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

NO one expects you to keep your gob shut but you are acting like someone who goes into a restaurant and complains about the food before you have been served.

If the SWC had been the huge success you allude to then it would not be necessary to try something new.

As previously mentioned, witnessed plenty of great entertainment at Pairs finals in a bygone era. It may or may not be a success but we won't know until it has been tried.

Never seen anyone on here moan about it ..in fact it's enjoy by most ..the bottom line is the new format is a cost cutting exercise nothing more 

16 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

He added that there will be fantastic riders in the event so why shouldn't the racing be terrific. There is something extra special about racing for your country and that applies as much for the pairs as the SWC he said.

Tatum may have loved riding in them, we hated watching it.  As fans.. We will not flock to this rehashed SWC as we did the tried and tested, but oh Well Poland are going to win again event we have loved for the last 10+ years.

FANS HATE THE PAIRS FORMAT. 

Put me in charge of the SWC, I have limited organisation & marketing skills but I couldn't fail to make it better than a one of pairs event.

Edited by Col
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

He explained that he, and no doubt others, liked having a partner in the same race and that as a pair you could try and help one another. 

I prefer watching races where teammates can work together, or noting which pairs won't! It's adds a very entertaining tactical element.