British Speedway Forum

10 hours ago, orion said:

Never seen anyone on here moan about it ..in fact it's enjoy by most ..the bottom line is the new format is a cost cutting exercise nothing more 

EXPLAIN how it is cost cutting? 

12 hours ago, Col said:

Tatum may have loved riding in them, we hated watching it.  As fans.. We will not flock to this rehashed SWC as we did the tried and tested, but oh Well Poland are going to win again event we have loved for the last 10+ years.

FANS HATE THE PAIRS FORMAT. 

Put me in charge of the SWC, I have limited organisation & marketing skills but I couldn't fail to make it better than a one of pairs event.

ARE you the self-appointed spokesperson for speedway fans everywhere? You no more know what fans across Europe (it isn't only the British that are involved) think than I do. 

If no one bothers to attend in June then your argument will carry significantly more weight. If they turn up in droves then you will be proved wrong. Until then ...

Edited by PHILIPRISING
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

ARE you the self-appointed spokesperson fir speedway fans everywhere? You no more know what fans across Europe (it isn't only the British that are involved) think I do. 

If no one bothers to attend in June then your argument will carry significantly more weight. If they turn up in droves then you will be proved wrong. Until then ...

If they haven't been turning up for the SWC in droves, I can't see why they'd turn up for a diminished competition in droves.

21 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

A best pairs competition will only require 2 or 3 rounds, compared to the 4 or 5 for a 4TT.

Similar numbers of riders involved in both a pairs and 4TT meeting, so similar per-round prize money can be offered.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

If they haven't been turning up for the SWC in droves, I can't see why they'd turn up for a diminished competition in droves.

I REPEAT ... wait and see. Not everyone will see it as "diminished."

A major issue for staging countries has been the race-off which even on a Friday rather than a Thursday has not attracted fans in Denmark, Sweden or Poland where, unlike Britain at least, fans are totally dis-interested if their nation isn't competing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

I REPEAT ... wait and see. Not everyone will see it as "diminished."

A major issue for staging countries has been the race-off which even on a Friday rather than a Thursday has not attracted fans in Denmark, Sweden or Poland where, unlike Britain at least, fans are totally dis-interested if their nation isn't competing.

Yes, but that's because the current format allows for the possibility of the race-off to happen without the host nation. It would be very easy to solve that issue.

I think most people would consider a best pairs competition to be a diminished SWC, but let's see...

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Col said:

Tatum may have loved riding in them, we hated watching it.  As fans.. We will not flock to this rehashed SWC as we did the tried and tested, but oh Well Poland are going to win again event we have loved for the last 10+ years.

FANS HATE THE PAIRS FORMAT. 

Put me in charge of the SWC, I have limited organisation & marketing skills but I couldn't fail to make it better than a one of pairs event.

I don't, I prefer the pairs to the current format. More teams involved and for me it gets interesting watching teams taking points off each other.

I also think the pairs format is a good way to get lesser nations like Germany, Italy, Slovakia, Slovenia etc involved as they might get a couple of riders to be competitive but not four or five. Much the same way as Rugby Sevens has brought more international teams into their game.

15 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

ARE you the self-appointed spokesperson for speedway fans everywhere?

Yes, yes I am.

On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 10:09 PM, Daniel Smith said:

The pairs scoring system should be 4-2-1-0

The rider winning should win the heat and will encourage a better battle for the minor places

I would suggest this scoring system would be used if one of the aims is to make 'lesser countries' more competitive, even more so if another aim is to help grow the sport in these countries..

USA, Slovenia, Slovakia,  Latvia, and Germany all have at least one rider who can win races at the top level, meaning they all should be competitive using this system..

(If Greg bothers to ride obviously!)

Edited by mikebv

On 13/12/2017 at 9:40 AM, PHILIPRISING said:

2 riders rather than 4 is going to cut costs quite a lot! If it’s not then BSI and the FIM have messed up badly!

1 minute ago, SCB said:

2 riders rather than 4 is going to cut costs quite a lot! If it’s not then BSI and the FIM have messed up badly!

THREE riders not four, seven countries not three and some other changes that will increase costs which are yet to be announced.

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THREE riders not four, seven countries not three and some other changes that will increase costs which are yet to be announced.

I thought there were 5 in each team last year if you include the under 21 rider ....we all know it's a cost cutting exercise so don't  TREAT people like they are stupid and stop being a puppet for BSI .

• Like 2

23 hours ago, mikebv said:

I would suggest this scoring system would be used if one of the aims is to make 'lesser countries' more competitive, even more so if another aim is to help grow the sport in these countries..

USA, Slovenia, Slovakia,  Latvia, and Germany all have at least one rider who can win races at the top level, meaning they all should be competitive using this system..

How then it is a team competition if you're giving countries with only one decent rider the opportunity to dominate. You might as well combine the SWC with the SGP on that basis. 

3 hours ago, SCB said:

Well assuming the classic 7-pair format and 3 riders in each 'pair', that makes for 21 riders per meeting. The SWC currently has up to 20 per meeting, although I think prize money is just paid as a lump sum on a per-team basis (and isn't very generous). 

However, the current SWC format needs 4 meetings (plus 1 or 2 qualifiers) and I'm guessing these are insufficiently lucrative, especially the Race-Off if the host nation isn't represented.  You can realistically incorporate up 12 teams in just two rounds using a pairs format, whilst guaranteeing that the hosts will be in the Final, and offering the potential to run the whole thing over a weekend. 

Alternatively, you could have 14 teams split into 2 Semi-Finals, with the top 3 in each going through to meet the host nation in the Final. That requires 3 rounds.

No idea though, what the other changes could be that would increase costs, unless they're talking about the prize money. 

1 hour ago, Humphrey Appleby said:

How then it is a team competition if you're giving countries with only one decent rider the opportunity to dominate. You might as well combine the SWC with the SGP on that basis. 

I think the new competition is being set up to help grow the Sport in nations that currently have Speedway but not much chance of ever reaching the SWC final, whilst maybe trying to reduce Poland's huge strength in depth advantage to make the competition less predictable..

For me, a shame the SWC is being changed as it provides the best racing of the year, however I can see the logic of trying to develop the Sport in other nations. And having a 'team' wearing your nations flag in a World Final may help generate interest in these countries....