British Speedway Forum

Almost four weeks since the original interview was given, still no official info. 

I count this from the absolute last deadline that the printed spar has.

4 hours ago, f-s-p said:

Almost four weeks since the original interview was given, still no official info. 

I count this from the absolute last deadline that the printed spar has.

Maybe it really will be tandem speedway bikesand they are waiting for the first to be built,so they can do some publicity photos?:D

Happy X-mas:P

• Haha 1

On 24/12/2017 at 2:26 PM, iris123 said:

Maybe it really will be tandem speedway bikesand they are waiting for the first to be built,so they can do some publicity photos?:D

Maybe the Under-21 rider will ride in a sidecar attached to the tandem?

• Like 1

On 27.12.2017 at 11:55 AM, Humphrey Appleby said:

Maybe the Under-21 rider will ride in a sidecar attached to the tandem?

On the other hand...pigs may fly :-)

Latest in the SWC saga is that Eskilstuna will now NOT host the Pairs World Cup in 2018. BSI have already had talks with Polish tracks Torun and Leszno, if no other country wants it. But they still hope that England will want to stage it !  

Apparently BSI and the FIM plan alternate the World Pairs and Team events each year, staging the Pairs World Cup in the even years (2018, 2020, 2022, etc) and the Team World Cup in the uneven years (2019, 2021, 2023 etc). Gorzow in Poland has a contract to host the SWC in 2019.

Why on Earth would England not wish not stage it?  Wait... It is crappy pairs event... No one likes them.

SWC could have a very simple formula.

Event 1. 4 Team Tournament.

Great Britain - Hosts.
Germany
Latvia
Czech Republic

Top 3 to race off.

Event 2. 4 Team Tournament.

Denmark - Hosts.
Australia
USA
Italy

Winners to final, 2nd & 3rd up to Raceoff

Event 3.  4 Team Tournament.

Sweden - Hosts.
Russia
Slovenia
Slovakia

Winners to final, 2nd & 3rd up to Raceoff

Event 3 (Race off). Pairs. In UK.

1st event 1.
2nd event 1.
2nd event 2.
2nd event 3.
3rd event 1.
3rd event 2.
3rd event 3.

Winner to final.

Final.

Poland (hosts).
Winner event 1.
Winner event 2.
Winner event 3.

I suspect it could be as simple as the Pairs event held at Somerset in the UK with two groups made up of 5 countries in each group! This would certainly contain costs and perhaps make it viable....

So what weekend is being reserved for this meeting 23rd June?

HOPE to know more on Monday but don't think the format will be anything like the Somerset one.

As I understand it, the plan is still to alternate yearly with the four-nation SWC and a seven team Nations Cup in which the riders from each country will race as a pair rather than as individuals which will encourage team riding.

• Like 1

if the competitions are alternated i wonder how the qualifying will work.

will it be pairs qualifiers qualify for pairs in 2 years time, or will the SWC (4 team) go towards pairs qualification for the following year.

could become very disjointed if it's on a yearly basis

To keep both competitions alive in alternate years seems to be the sensible solution to this. It would be highly unpopular to replace the SWC with the Pairs of Nations, but if we can have the pairs and 4-Team events every other year, I would be happy. Variety is alway good. To have the World Cup tournament only every second year is not a bad thing.  

But the inaugural Pairs Speedway of Nations should not be staged in Poland this year. The Poles already had the SWC (Leszno) and the World Games Best Pairs (Wroclaw) in 2017 and they will get another Speedway World Cup Final (Gorzow) in Poland in 2019.

By the way, are You aware that we already have an annual European Pairs Championship, which is nearly the same competition as a World Pairs, only without the Aussies and Americans. Winners of the European Pairs Championship at Lonigo, Italy, in 2017 were Poland, ahead of Russia. France finished third, ahead of Denmark, Italy, Great Britain, and Latvia. Great Britain was represented by Steven Worrall and Ellis Perks !

Edited by Bavarian
  • Like 1

What an absolute farce. Poland running away with it most years and looking like doing so for years on end so they change the format to even it up, what a joke. 

Instead of penalising Poland , other countries should pull their finger out and make up ground on them. 

Denmark havent been the same since Nielsen has been in charge, he has made some crazy decisions regarding team selections and should be bombed out and replaced. Being a legendary world champ doesnt mean your a good manager. 

A team of NKI, Pedersen, Kildemand and MJJ/Madsen/Bjerre should still be capable of mixing it with Poland. Riders have hardly heaped praise on Nielsen so he must be doing something wrong. 

On 1/5/2018 at 3:56 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

HOPE to know more on Monday but don't think the format will be anything like the Somerset one.

Anything?  Some of us are planning holidays around this!

5 hours ago, Col said:

Anything?  Some of us are planning holidays around this!

I'm trying to plan my life around it. Bit difficult when I don't know where it is, when it is, how many riders we need, how many events and how much $$$ I will need to raise to make up the shortfall! :D

Edited by SteveEvans
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, SteveEvans said:

I'm trying to plan my life around it. Bit difficult when I don't know where it is, when it is, how many riders we need, how many events and how much $$$ I will need to raise to make up the shortfall! :D

Exactly. A friend is in a similar situation and I dont envy him. Six? weeks now since the Spar interview and all the info we are getting is coming out via sportowefakty...

FROM what I am hearing BSI are as frustrated as the rest of us because not everything is cut and dried with the FIM but all their ducks are in a row and they will go public asap.

My educated guess is for the second week in June.