British Speedway Forum

We will patiently wait! The Under 21 rule might hike the cost for Team USA if we have to send one from accross the pond!

Phillipe is here to put a positive spin on things for BSI with whom he has a commercial relationship. Nothing wrong with that, but he cannot be considered a neutral party and he's either carefully wording his posts thinking we don't know the difference between commercial rights and inscription/permit fees, or he's just repeating BSI verbatim. Throwing in the term 'licence fees' just serves to further that confusion.

And if I were the commercial rights holder of the SWC and the FIM made a decision to suspend it and replace with another team-based competition of a very similar ilk, I'd expect that to be included in the rights or be paid some sort of compensation. Of course, if the SWC wasn't sufficient profitable for me and I had a get-out clause on that basis, both parties might wish to negotiate some revised arrangement to reduce costs but ensure that both gain something from it.

I think most appreciate Phillipe's participation on here, but I don't think it's unreasonable to not take everything at face value from an official source. Only a few weeks ago he was priming us for a return to a pairs format, yet now the powers-that-be seem to be discussing another format with junior riders and so on. Either someone isn't well informed, or the FIM and BSI are just making things up as they go along.

I AM not and neither have been an official spokesman for BSI. Nor do I contribute here to put a positive spin on anything for them. I can actually think for myself so whatever I write here is a personal opinion, nothing more. Nor do I have a commercial relationship with them.

It will be a return to a pairs format but to eradicate the possibility of a rider getting injured during a meeting and that ''pair' becoming a 'single' each country will also include an Under 21 rider in their team.

The fact is that the FIM see this as a new competition and demand BSI pay for the commercial (yes, I mistakenly wrote license and I apologise for that)) rights while still retaining and paying for the SWC.

The fact is that the FIM see this as a new competition and demand BSI pay for the commercial (yes, I mistakenly wrote license and I apologise for that)) rights while still retaining and paying for the SWC.

So BSI are continuing to pay for the commercial rights for a competition they're unable to run? That wouldn't seem like good business sense, unless of course they asked to stop running the SWC.

And didn't we hear that OneSport were prevented from running national teams in the European Pairs competitions because BSI supposedly objected that they were the rights holders to the World Pairs?

It will be a return to a pairs format but to eradicate the possibility of a rider getting injured during a meeting and that ''pair' becoming a 'single' each country will also include an Under 21 rider in their team.

So the competition is something we've seen before then. It's a best pairs competition with a reserve, which was the WTC format run from 1993 to 1998 except now with an under 21 reserve.

Which also begs the question what Armando was rambling on about in the Spar the other week...

• Like 3

So BSI are continuing to pay for the commercial rights for a competition they're unable to run? That wouldn't seem like good business sense, unless of course they asked to stop running the SWC.

And didn't we hear that OneSport were prevented from running national teams in the European Pairs competitions because BSI supposedly objected that they were the rights holders to the World Pairs?

So the competition is something we've seen before then. It's a best pairs competition with a reserve, which was the WTC format run from 1993 to 1998 except now with an under 21 reserve.

Which also begs the question what Armando was rambling on about in the Spar the other week...

WHY not just wait and see?

The SWC is not dead which is presumably why BSI retain the rights.

It's rumored here in Germany that Abensberg is one of the tracks to host a round of the Speedway of Nations - September 23 is given as the date - which is quite late in the season - not sure if it is going to be a final or a qualifying round?

When will the FIM let us know?

It's rumored here in Germany that Abensberg is one of the tracks to host a round of the Speedway of Nations - September 23 is given as the date - which is quite late in the season - not sure if it is going to be a final or a qualifying round?

When will the FIM let us know?

DOUBT it ... final is in June

Christ Humph you are so boring. Have you anything positive to say about the sport.

No but why not try to look for a positive occasionally. There are good things in speedway.

• Like 1

Isn't that the point being made.One of the good things in speedway was the SWC according to most here.Now they have dropped that for some experiment and seem to have made the situation worse by including an U 21 rider......

We had all of this more than a decade ago when people on here were complaining about the way speedway in the UK was going and we had others saying be positive and it is the promoters money,they know best.A decade later the conditions have got worse,some would say,much worse.....maybe those fans that are complaining are in the right?

• Like 2

No but why not try to look for a positive occasionally. There are good things in speedway.

There certainly are.

The SWC being one of the very best.

But apparently we are supposed to keep our gobs shut until we have actaully seen this stupidly entited/conceived 'Speedway of Nations' next June.

And not expose the folly of abandoning the SWC now.

In my view, that would not be 'looking for a positive'.

It would be just fiddling whilst Rome burns.

• Like 2

We had all of this more than a decade ago when people on here were complaining about the way speedway in the UK was going and we had others saying be positive and it is the promoters money,they know best.A decade later the conditions have got worse,some would say,much worse.....maybe those fans that are complaining are in the right?

When it comes down to it, whilst many British promoters aren't really doing a great job, probably most of them are in it because of a certain love of the sport. Most I think, do not expect to make money from it, and a good number are probably subsiding their tracks.

BSI are most definitely in it for the money though. There isn't essentially anything wrong with that, but the SWC is one of the genuine highlights of the calendar (even in my jaded cynical view), and somehow the FIM has been persuaded that another mickey mouse pairs event should replace it.

There certainly are.

The SWC being one of the very best.

But apparently we are supposed to keep our gobs shut until we have actaully seen this stupidly entited/conceived 'Speedway of Nations' next June.

And not expose the folly of abandoning the SWC now.

In my view, that would not be 'looking for a positive'.

It would be just fiddling whilst Rome burns.

NO one expects you to keep your gob shut but you are acting like someone who goes into a restaurant and complains about the food before you have been served.

If the SWC had been the huge success you allude to then it would not be necessary to try something new.

As previously mentioned, witnessed plenty of great entertainment at Pairs finals in a bygone era. It may or may not be a success but we won't know until it has been tried.

I suppose it depends what sort of restuarants one frequents.

General speaking I would choose something that I knew I liked from the menu
That could be (say) Sirloin cooked medium rare.

Not Liver or any other offal.

If I sat down at my table and was told I had no say in what I was to eat.

But had to hold my nose for a 'variety meat' selection of whatever was left in the kitchen.

Then I may make my excuses and leave.

But to request that I eat it first.

And then just HOPE that I did not throw up later.

No. Thank. You.

Edited by Grand Central

As previously mentioned, witnessed plenty of great entertainment at Pairs finals in a bygone era. It may or may not be a success but we won't know until it has been tried.

It may or may not be great entertainment, but it will not be a Speedway World Cup. A 'pairs' format with a reserve was tried in the WTC before, and I think there was great relief all round when it went back to a proper team competition in 1999 (albeit with a new 4TT format).

One of the genuinely good ideas that BSI had back in the day, was the concept of the SWC. The mistake (not even with hindsight) was to involve too many mismatched teams, but the 8-team format could have been tweaked into something more viable rather taking the rather lazy approach of going back to the inadequate pairs format. Even if there aren't 8 viable teams (which I struggle to believe), the final rounds could have been changed to 6 teams or something like that.

• Like 2