British Speedway Forum

24 minutes ago, mikebv said:

I think the new competition is being set up to help grow the Sport in nations that currently have Speedway but not much chance of ever reaching the SWC final, whilst maybe trying to reduce Poland's huge strength in depth advantage to make the competition less predictable..

For me, a shame the SWC is being changed as it provides the best racing of the year, however I can see the logic of trying to develop the Sport in other nations. And having a 'team' wearing your nations flag in a World Final may help generate interest in these countries....

The format has been tried before and did little or nothing to grow the sport. The sport also needs to be focusing on its core markets rather than getting distracted, because it's dying on it's a**e even in the countries that support professional leagues.

It's a bit replacing the Football World Cup with a five-a-side tournament in the hope of giving the minnows more chance to be competitive, but all you'd do is disinterest your main audiences, and the minnows will still be outclassed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PHILIPRISING said:

THREE riders not four, seven countries not three and some other changes that will increase costs which are yet to be announced.

That is just not true.

There were FIVE men per SWC team

Why would you say otherwise.

And only Speedway could be mental enough to call THREE people a PAIR.

For all the years that the World Best Pairs operated - which you have repeatedly said yourself was a competition YOU enjoyed - it managed with two men and only had the very occasional time that was reduced to a single man. 

But If they want or feel they must have three per team then at least show SOME sense and actually call them TRIOS.

Edited by Grand Central

I WAS responding to SCB who claimed that having "two riders instead of four" was cost cutting. Anyway, three times seven is still more than four times five.

I very much doubt that the word pair will appear in the title of the competition. Two riders from the same country in each race yes but that doesn't specifically make it a "pairs" competition no more than one from each country makes it a singles event.

From what I am told, the actual format has never been tried before. And suggesting that it is like replacing soccer's World Cup with a five-a-side tournament is beyond even ridicule.

32 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

From what I am told, the actual format has never been tried before. 

Can only assume then, that the programmed rides of each team will be shared between the 3 riders (thus having 4 programmed rides each assuming 7 teams). 

Have a recollection that format might have been used in Poland or Sweden before. 

1 hour ago, PHILIPRISING said:

DON'T assume anything ... just wait and see.

Not sure what the big secret is, unless of course the FIM/BSI haven't actually worked out what the format is going to be.

• Like 4

BSI's resident forum member, Mr Rising, loves drip-feeding information - then he sits back to enjoy watching us fools get our suppositions wrong (most of the time)

I'm not holding my breath for him to provide anything meaningful while he can keep playing his silly games, massaging his ego

• Like 2

SOIMETHING I learned in my profession decades ago is that if someone tells you something in confidence you do not betray that. If you do, a second chance is rarely forthcoming.

Agreement between the FIM and BSI to go ahead with the new format was only completed last month and, as I have stated previously, BSI wanted to get a new website, branding and a formal announcement in place but the FIM rather jumped the gun with half the story.

• Like 1

It is getting a bit silly to play this rather childish game of 'correcting' people when it suits.

And then to finish each little bust of activity with this coquettish denoument of 'wait and see'.

I do not get the impression that the full details will have been worth any of the teasing.

The 'FIM Monster Speedway Damp Squib' starts in June.

Edited by Grand Central
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Grand Central said:

It is getting a bit silly to play this rather childish game of 'correcting' people when it suits.

And then to finish each little bust of activity with this coquettish denoument of 'wait and see'.

I do not get the impression that the full details will have been worth any of the teasing.

The 'FIM Monster Speedway Damp Squib' starts in June.

YOU have already made up your mind so won't matter 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, PHILIPRISING said:

YOU have already made up your mind so won't matter 

So have you . 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, orion said:

So have you . 

ACTUALLY I haven't. 

1 hour ago, NickyR said:

Will Monster still be the sponsors??

I WOULD imagine so

On 12/19/2017 at 12:17 PM, PHILIPRISING said:

SOIMETHING I learned in my profession decades ago is that if someone tells you something in confidence you do not betray that. If you do, a second chance is rarely forthcoming.

Agreement between the FIM and BSI to go ahead with the new format was only completed last month and, as I have stated previously, BSI wanted to get a new website, branding and a formal announcement in place but the FIM rather jumped the gun with half the story.

WITH respect, Phil , you are playing both poacher and gamekeeper....

Maybe the FIM did jump the gun, through Armando Castagna....The thing is,  the "Speedway Star", of which you are managing editor, published that story / interview with Armando !

You cant have it both ways !

You are course absolutely 100% correct when you state  "SOIMETHING I learned in my profession decades ago is that if someone tells you something in confidence you do not betray that. If you do, a second chance is rarely forthcoming." SO....Dont say anything ! Dont tease, dripfeed, or anything like that, just stay quiet until the full facts are in the public domain ! Now, i realise that may not suit the journalist within you, but, as I said, you cant have it both ways !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2017-12-22 at 11:17 AM, jeffster said:

WITH respect, Phil , you are playing both poacher and gamekeeper....

Maybe the FIM did jump the gun, through Armando Castagna....The thing is,  the "Speedway Star", of which you are managing editor, published that story / interview with Armando !

You cant have it both ways !

You are course absolutely 100% correct when you state  "SOIMETHING I learned in my profession decades ago is that if someone tells you something in confidence you do not betray that. If you do, a second chance is rarely forthcoming." SO....Dont say anything ! Dont tease, dripfeed, or anything like that, just stay quiet until the full facts are in the public domain ! Now, i realise that may not suit the journalist within you, but, as I said, you cant have it both ways !

I agree jeffster. If you say A then you have to say B and if you don't want to say B then don't say A.