British Speedway Forum

With the football world cup starting on the 14th you'd think the 9th would be favourite.

I can see your point but got to be doubtful any speedway nation will be anywhere near a football world cup final. :lol:

HOPING for some news after this weekend's FIM gathering.

My words exactly. A week ago. :lol:

I'M always one step behind you

Maybe this time... :lol:

But really, theyve gathered now three times in a month (preli meet of which date Im not sure, prague calendar meet 18-19 and general council now).

Me thinks Im allowed to expect press releases so we can start building the domestic calendar...

I'M always one step behind you

Maybe this time... :lol:

But really, theyve gathered now three times in a month (preli meet of which date Im not sure, prague calendar meet 18-19 and general council now).

Me thinks Im allowed to expect press releases so we can start building the domestic calendar...

https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=pl&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.przegladsportowy.pl%2Fzuzel%2Fdruzynowy-puchar-swiata%2Czuzel-przyszlosc-dps-przesadzona-smutne-slowa-witkowskiego%2Cartykul%2C831836%2C1%2C983.html&edit-text=&act=url

Oh dear, no more SWC - they replace it with a "Speedway of Nations" pairs competition !

Perhaps it is time for the major speedway nations to take action and organise their own international team events, such as Test Matches and a proper World League where the national sides meet in team vs team matches !

Why can't we have a round-robin International tournament like the Six Nations in Rugby Union's, with the national speedway teams of Poland, Australia, Sweden, England/Great Britain, Denmark, and a combined Rest of the World team !

IT is still the Speedway World Cup only with a different name and a different format and one that, personally, I am all in favour of.

More countries taking part and potential hosts, more nations competitive, more variety with riders.

In answer to your questions Bavarian... the money isn't there.

Even the PZM are admitting that winning everything has its own pitfalls.

The current SWC format hasn't been scraped forever, just sidelined for the time being.

They can stick that right up their backside.

Speedway is an individual or team sport. Pairs are crap. I look forward to the SWC every season, a pair just won't work. There will be too many heats in the meeting that just don't matter as your country are not riding. Pairs event in speedway are always gimmicks.

They can stick that right up their backside.

Speedway is an individual or team sport. Pairs are crap. I look forward to the SWC every season, a pair just won't work. There will be too many heats in the meeting that just don't matter as your country are not riding. Pairs event in speedway are always gimmicks.

I totally agree with this.

I never found the World Pairs very interesting when it was held in the past.

The SWC has consistently been a highlight of the year.

Oh well, another bit of the sport ruined.

• Like 2

IT is still the Speedway World Cup only with a different name and a different format and one that, personally, I am all in favour of.

It's not - it's a glorified pairs competition.

It wasn't a proper World Cup last time they used that format, and I suspect if I dig out a Speedway Star from circa 2000 it'll be praising the return to a 'proper' team competition.

More countries taking part and potential hosts, more nations competitive, more variety with riders.

A euphemism for a cost cutting exercise.

• Like 1

Oh FFS. That is another nail in the coffin.

It's not - it's a glorified pairs competition.

It wasn't a proper World Cup last time they used that format, and I suspect if I dig out a Speedway Star from circa 2000 it'll be praising the return to a 'proper' team competition.

A euphemism for a cost cutting exercise.

IT'S no longer 2000. Times have changed. Pairs is a team competition. It's actually not cost-cutting because the fees to the FIM and the expense incurred will probably be more not less.

The fact is that many countries have no interest in the SWC because they cannot track a competitive team. Now they can. Why not wait and see. Lots of people have been pushing for this for a long time.

Oh FFS. That is another nail in the coffin.

IN what coffin?

The Poles, Swedes and Danes for starters are keen.