British Speedway Forum
chunky

Just A Thought...

Interesting to see all the online comments regarding Lewis Hamilton today. With a fourth World Championship under his belt (more than any other British driver), he is being lauded as an all-time great.

Tai Woffinden, on the other hand, has two World Championships to his name, along with a second and a third (more than any other British rider), yet there are speedway fans who don't even consider him even ONE of the best Brits.

Sigh...

Steve

• Like 3

Interesting to see all the online comments regarding Lewis Hamilton today. With a fourth World Championship under his belt (more than any other British driver), he is being lauded as an all-time great.

Tai Woffinden, on the other hand, has two World Championships to his name, along with a second and a third (more than any other British rider), yet there are speedway fans who don't even consider him even ONE of the best Brits.

Sigh...

Steve

Others do though. :t::approve::approve:

• Like 4

Sigh...

Steve

I don't think anyone could seriously deny his achievements, that doesn't make him universally popular or beyond criticism though.

• Like 2

As long as you're not suggesting that Tai Woffinden is one of the all-time greats . . . yes, he is one of the best Brits, but nothing more

• Like 2

Well, I have little time for either of them.

I don't doubt their respective skills in handling high powered machinery at all and I can't argue against the record books.

Perhaps it's down to the type of 'PR' coverage these days, but I just can't warm to them as personalities.

• Like 6

Others do though. :t::approve::approve:

Coming from someone who doesn't rate Bruce Penhall as a great...

Steve

Edited by chunky

Coming from someone who doesn't rate Bruce Penhall as a great...

Steve

What the hell has that got to do with my opinion of Tai?

Perhaps Penhall was a great Rider n your book and perhaps my views are coloured by his behaviour.

• Like 4

For a lot of speedway fans it's probably simply a case of out of sight out of mind.

As i don't go to or watch SGP on TV if a rider doesn't ride in the UK then to me they are completely off the speedway radar and i don't even give them a thought.

• Like 2

Sigh...

Steve

Many of them think he is a Aussie though !!!!!!!

Many of them think he is a Aussie though !!!!!!!

Obviously they come from the Planet 'Wibble'. :nono::nono::nono::nono::mad:

• Like 1

What the hell has that got to do with my opinion of Tai?

Perhaps Penhall was a great Rider n your book and perhaps my views are coloured by his behaviour.

Same thing... People don't rate Tai - and disregard his ability AND achievements - because they don't like him.

You disregard Penhall's ability AND his achievements because you don't like him. Yeah, nobody else has ever retired from the sport mid-season...

I couldn't stand Carter, and I don't like NP either, but I can't dismiss them just because of my personal feelings.

Steve

Same thing... People don't rate Tai - and disregard his ability AND achievements - because they don't like him.

You disregard Penhall's ability AND his achievements because you don't like him. Yeah, nobody else has ever retired from the sport mid-season...

I couldn't stand Carter, and I don't like NP either, but I can't dismiss them just because of my personal feelings.

Steve

Neither could I. He was a great Rider though.........................

Have no interest at all in F1 so Lewis Hamilton doesnt appear on my radar and I will pay attention to the other one when he gets his head out of his arse and shows british speedway some respect

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 7

Neither could I. He was a great Rider though.........................

So was Penhall... Better than the riders you rated above him...

As long as you're not suggesting that Tai Woffinden is one of the all-time greats . . . yes, he is one of the best Brits, but nothing more

But it has been stated on the BSF that he is not even ONE of the best Brits...

Steve

Edited by chunky

So was Penhall... Better than the riders you rated above him...

But it has been stated on the BSF that he is not even ONE of the best Brits...

Steve

So his behaviour counts for nothing in your eyes then?