British Speedway Forum
chunky

Just A Thought...

What... so sure that you wanna recheck Backtrack? Thought you already knew it all.

All I need to 'recheck' Backtrack for is to be able to provide some examples, as requested. Quite a simple concept.

As for 'knowing it all', rather childish statement. It would be rather foolish to post about something I don't think I am correct on, perhaps this is where you are going wrong?

Was there quite alot of training schools going on in the late 60/s 70s ? Belle Vue,Ellesmere i know Broady had one at Swindon.Wouldnt it be great if we had that now that would certainly help us produce young riders in Poland are most tracks available seven days a week.?

Was there quite alot of training schools going on in the late 60/s 70s ? Belle Vue,Ellesmere i know Broady had one at Swindon.Wouldnt it be great if we had that now that would certainly help us produce young riders in Poland are most tracks available seven days a week.?

There are loads around the country.

• Like 1

Olle Nygren would run 'Training Schools' at King's Lynn during the seventies and eighties but it was more for the benefit for people like me who wanted just to have a go...although I know that he would run schools for foreign riders which were somewhat more official.

As I mentioned earlier 'Speedy' Pete Jarman ran winter schools during the winter of 75/76 at Cowley and Len Silver's schools at Hackney were well received (remember John Noakes and Peter Purvis of 'Blue Peter' fame having a go!) and Garry Middleton used to run schools (Michael Lee attended one such session I remember).

Mildenhall, King's Lynn, Rye House and Eastbourne ran schools throughout the early seventies and were rewarded with a flow of riders...some 'schools' however were just an opportunity to test/run a bike with very little instruction.

Edited by steve roberts

Weymouth, from the early sixties until its demise.

Yes Lew Coffin...didn't Bob Kilby start there?

Didn't Barry Thomas' father help set up Iwade?Been fairly successful over the years and now one of the younger members of my family is riding quite regularly there having started at a beginners course at IoW.Just got his first bike last week and after 6 sessions looks fairly good from the videos i have seen.Doesn't seem to have any fear of the bends!!!

• Like 2

Didn't Barry Thomas' father help set up Iwade?Been fairly successful over the years and now one of the younger members of my family is riding quite regularly there having started at a beginners course at IoW.Just got his first bike last week and after 6 sessions looks fairly good from the videos i have seen.Doesn't seem to have any fear of the bends!!!

His brother Ivor (RIP) was the driving force, along with Barry at Iwade.

Yes Lew Coffin...didn't Bob Kilby start there?

Yes, as stated in Lee's book he rode at Weymouth four times only, then at the pre season trials at Swindon and once after the meeting at Oxford and then second half rides at Swindon. He had however practised in a field near Uffington a fair

bit.

• Like 2

they need access to nl but can't get it because of riders who haven't moved to cl who haven't moved up because of all the riders who should have moved up to div 1

His brother Ivor (RIP) was the driving force, along with Barry at Iwade.

Thanks.Knew it was Ivor Brown,but thought he was Barrys dad :oops:

Have no interest at all in F1 so Lewis Hamilton doesnt appear on my radar and I will pay attention to the other one when he gets his head out of his arse and shows british speedway some respect

Very surprised at your view Deano as you are someone close enough to know many of the things that went on behind the scenes and the views Tai has on riding in or for Britain and thought you would be more backing him than this as many of your posts are not a million miles away from his opinion too.

Just think Tai was fortunate and won his titles when there's been a lack of genuine world class riders. You have a near-50 year-old still a threat; an Aussie who could be on his second successive win (but for injury) when Leigh Adams, a real star rider took yonks to win even one round. Jason Doyle or Jason Crump? Where have all the star names gone. No consistency these days.

There have been some pretty tough line ups in recent years and don't think he was fortunate in any way as he came in at a time many thought he would fail due to the quality of riders around at the time.

Woffinden is the same rider he was when he won 2 world titles , difference is now he has decent opposition , and boy does it show

Two world titles in line ups that were arguably the best fifteen riders at the time with very few exceptions while many a World Title has been won on a one day format racing against Continental riders that were way below standard and some others just scraping through to the finals.

Out of the modern day rider since the GP series started Crump,Ricko,Gollob are the only three riders that i would have anywhere near a top 10/15 of all time.

Hans Nielsen, Greg Hancock, Nicki Pedersen, Tai Woffinden all deserve to be alongside these as their records show they beat the best in front of them and while Nielsen won the majority before the GP Series, he would have won considerably more had the GPs come in ten years earlier.

• Like 2

Very surprised at your view Deano as you are someone close enough to know many of the things that went on behind the scenes and the views Tai has on riding in or for Britain and thought you would be more backing him than this as many of your posts are not a million miles away from his opinion too.

There have been some pretty tough line ups in recent years and don't think he was fortunate in any way as he came in at a time many thought he would fail due to the quality of riders around at the time.

Two world titles in line ups that were arguably the best fifteen riders at the time with very few exceptions while many a World Title has been won on a one day format racing against Continental riders that were way below standard and some others just scraping through to the finals.

Hans Nielsen, Greg Hancock, Nicki Pedersen, Tai Woffinden all deserve to be alongside these as their records show they beat the best in front of them and while Nielsen won the majority before the GP Series, he would have won considerably more had the GPs come in ten years earlier.

Nielsen i was never a fan of his but in later years he grew on me i see alot of him at Oxford.What a rider a class act a class bloke as well i also remember him as a superb team rider he helped Sorensen,Rasmussen,Dugard,Butler develop.When you look back he should of won 6/8 titles he was that good he would be in my top 6 of alltime no one around at the moment comes close to Hans.
  • Like 1

Agree Tai Hancock pedersen all in the top 30 of all time and all ahead of gollob.

Gollob for me is one of the greatest single world champs, but Id rank him behind Collins and perhaps Lee, though ahead of the likes of Doyle and Michanek.

Yes,for me greatness means winning those heats those meetings that really count.It is a bit skewed to look and say Gollob or maybe even Leigh Adams were more consistent,but when it counted they didn't do the business.Gollob,ok on one ocassion when it looked like he might have won had bad luck and got injured.But it is winning the titles that count as great.

And to say Nielsen was far better than any of his rivals is nonsense again......

Edited by iris123