British Speedway Forum
chunky

Just A Thought...

I loved King Cinder, used to get home from school, even bunking off the odd detention (!) then getting more, the nights it was on TV, Tuesdays or Thursdays if memory serves. Thought Colin Richardson would make good riding double for Peter Duncan. Also many non-speedway fan kids would watch then discuss it the next day, much more than pukka Saturday Afternoon Speedway on World Of Sport....

If I recall it was the usual stereo-typed leather clad motor cyclists image that was portrayed...about to read the article in the latest 'Backtrack' over breakfast...before painting the exterior door of the house!

Going back to TV can people remember the Daily Mirror Spring Claasics being televised? it think it was on itv ? I can also remember the Wills Internationale being on i think BBC covered that was trying to look for some footage of the spring classic without any success.

• Like 1

Going back to TV can people remember the Daily Mirror Spring Claasics being televised? it think it was on itv ? I can also remember the Wills Internationale being on i think BBC covered that was trying to look for some footage of the spring classic without any success.

Have some of them on DVD...Alan Weeks commentating on the BBC!

I've sent yo a PM Sid!

If I recall it was the usual stereo-typed leather clad motor cyclists image that was portrayed...about to read the article in the latest 'Backtrack' over breakfast...before painting the exterior door of the house!

True, do seem to recall the motorcycle gang depicted were 'bad boy yobboes' somewhat so creating 'goodie v baddies' drama. Least non-speedway kids were talking about the programme, going on to acquire mopeds: Honda SS50's, Suzuki AP50's, Yamaha Fizzies, the odd Garelli Rekord, etc. I didn't acquire an AP50 the then bike of my dreams til I was 18. As far as generating interest in speedway, well that is the $64,000 question. By the way: don't you hate it these days when everything on TV is called 'a show' these days....

• Like 1

I remember the Wills Internationale being broadcast on BBC on a Wednesday night. One time a rider had a bad crash and a Doctor who was watching it on the tele spotted something, and contacted them to give them some advice that was important. I understand he suggested they did something that eventually was very important in the treatment and his healing from what he had spotted. Not sure who the rider was but first thought was Ivor Brown. Any advance on Ivor. ?

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 3

I remember the Wills Internationale being broadcast on BBC on a Wednesday night. One time a rider had a bad crash and a Doctor who was watching it on the tele spotted something, and contacted them to give them some advice that was important. I understand he suggested they did something that eventually was very important in the treatment and his healing from what he had spotted. Not sure who the ride was but first thought was Ivor Brown. Any advance on Ivor. ?

...may have been when Ove Fundin took him off?

Edited by steve roberts

...may of been when Ove Fundin took him off?

Could well have been Steve. I think the Doctor spotted that Brown got hit or fell a certain way, and he gave them advice to examine something in the base of his back for a potential bad injury that they might have missed.