British Speedway Forum
chunky

Just A Thought...

The problem was that the FIM in their infinite wisdom making it known the riding order for the next qualifying stage based on placings at the previous.

Personally can't blame Mauger (and others) using that to their advantage in which to gain a better starting number thus avoiding two races on the trot or evenly spaced races.

Races have been thrown, bought etc since the commencement of speedway racing and was/is nothing new.

That doesn't make it right.

...personally I never took the Sunday People's allegations particularly seriously at the time...a newspaper (is it still around?) known for it's sleazy editorials and/or content and sensational story lines who in an attempt to justify it's editorial then print an alleged investigatory journalistic report. John Louis in his autobiography goes at length in explaining the way in which the 'reporters' went about their business in an attempt to 'get a story'.

As Ivan Mauger was quoted as saying "Who reads your f**king paper anyway!"

I never read them but I had a few riders tell me about such things, long before the newspaper articles. People don't usually admit to such allegations if they are innocent.

• Like 1

That doesn't make it right.

I never read them but I had a few riders tell me about such things, long before the newspaper articles. People don't usually admit to such allegations if they are innocent.

Perhaps not but the blame laid at the feet of the FIM who obviously instigated the misguided piece of legislation which enabled riders to juggle their rides to give themselves the best opportunities in the subsequent round...to which I would have done same if I'm honest!

I've been aware of money changing hands for many years and my uncle actually saw for himself deals being struck in the pits during one important World Championship qualifier...and I was happy to confirm an article written by John Berry regarding the same incident with John himself which he acknowledged in one of his books.

I think that supporters are naive if they think that nothing goes on 'behind the scenes' but I would guess that it's no better or worse than many sports as regards corruption and/or drugs etc?

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

I wonder how much better or worse off speedway would be now if Berry was allowed to run it when he was alive.

I wonder how much better or worse off speedway would be now if Berry was allowed to run it when he was alive.

CONSIDERABLY better...

• Like 5

CONSIDERABLY better...

Agree 100%.

He had vision and intelligence in abundance and, yes, he did upset a few along the way but that's because he didn't suffer fools gladly...of which there were/are a few!

He had vision and intelligence in abundance and, yes, he did upset a few along the way but that's because he didn't suffer fools gladly...of which there were/are a few!

Undoubtedly an intelligent and deep-thinking promoter, but would ultimately have fallen out with too many people. Running a multi-stakeholder sport needs diplomacy more than dictatorship, and you need to get people to buy into your ideas whether they're fools or not.

Of course, it's also hard to think the sport could be any worse off.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Just think Tai was fortunate and won his titles when there's been a lack of genuine world class riders. You have a near-50 year-old still a threat; an Aussie who could be on his second successive win (but for injury) when Leigh Adams, a real star rider took yonks to win even one round. Jason Doyle or Jason Crump? Where have all the star names gone. No consistency these days.

No consistency because the overall level is higher than it has ever been.

• Like 2

Undoubtedly an intelligent and deep-thinking promoter, but would ultimately have fallen out with too many people. Running a multi-stakeholder sport needs diplomacy more than dictatorship, and you need to get people to buy into your ideas whether they're fools or not.

Of course, it's also hard to think the sport could be any worse off.

...sadly we will never know.

Woffinden is the same rider he was when he won 2 world titles , difference is now he has decent opposition , and boy does it show

Could be true,could be rubbish

Just take a look at say Barry Briggs.He won back to back titles then in the next 5 seasons got 1 silver and two bronze.Tai's record is very much similar to Briggo in a short period.We don't know how it will pan out in the future though.Maybe like Briggo or Greg he just has to wait w hile before he wins another title or two?

Peter Craven is an even more extreme example between his wins

Edited by iris123

Woffinden is the same rider he was when he won 2 world titles , difference is now he has decent opposition , and boy does it show

Yeah. He finished 3rd, unbelievable poor performance.

Yeah. He finished 3rd, unbelievable poor performance.

Don't forget, he had a terrible year last year too, finishing W - A - Y down the list - in second. It's clear he is now out of his depth...

Steve

Edited by chunky

Out of the modern day rider since the GP series started Crump,Ricko,Gollob are the only three riders that i would have anywhere near a top 10/15 of all time.

Out of the modern day rider since the GP series started Crump,Ricko,Gollob are the only three riders that i would have anywhere near a top 10/15 of all time.

Yeah and not Nicki who won 3 titles finished second once and third 3 times!!!! :rofl:

• Like 1

Yet the reality is, they are competing in a much tougher era with far more professional riders from top to bottom.

• Like 1

No consistency because the overall level is higher than it has ever been.

Who told you that? I mean, I'd say the overall quality has dipped, but it's about opinions. Hancock won his first title in the mid-90s when at his peak. Took him almost 20 years to win his second. Was that because the opposition was better or that the real top liners had left the stage? Jason Doyle was a mere second string, a second division rider even not that long ago. He isn't a youngster, and yet with a bit of luck could be now a two-time world champion. Because the opposition are a higher level? Lost for words ashtag.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1