British Speedway Forum
Islander15

Confirmed Signings For 2018

And thats not their final averages anyway

The kent ones are final as they have not ridden in October.

i would make it 42 personally would make it more competitive

All depends if they ban trebling up? If they do the likes of Bewley, Smith, Zach Waj, Morley, Ayres etc may well step up out of the league. Going to be very hard for all sides to build competitively in that scenario, some will but some will be severely weakened and will make for an even more divided league

• Like 1

The problem is that with a higher limit there needs to be a decent number of heat leaders to spread around. But they can more easily than ever get second tier places and Premiership reserve spots so many of those riders might not want NL, or if they do then move mid season and the NL team loses them like the IOW & Greaves. However a low limit wont wprk as theres not as many competitive 3.00 riders around as a few years ago when the MDL was in full flow.

• Like 1

Just goes to show that yet again the sport shoots itself in the foot. The number of teams that offer MDL/SDL opportunities is appalling and these will be the first clubs to complain when there are no decent 3.00 riders around. Unless teams start showing an interest in who is going to be coming into the sport the following year there will be no following years.

(apologies to Islander15 as the thread has been hijacked)

Edited by Sings4Speedway
  • Like 1

Guest GiveusaB

All depends if they ban trebling up? If they do the likes of Bewley, Smith, Zach Waj, Morley, Ayres etc may well step up out of the league. Going to be very hard for all sides to build competitively in that scenario, some will but some will be severely weakened and will make for an even more divided league

Bewley wont be allowed to ride NL this season, his championship average is too high ? (I think that's how it works?)

Besides, he's far too good for NL now and apart from machine testing, the NL will be of no technical benefit towards his progression, imo .

Averages and points limit cripple speedway at all levels.

Riders should be categorised A/B/C and selections made accordingly. (imo)

The points limit for a "static" league where the same number of teams and the same riders compete each year should be 42.

However the NL is about development. Riders start out on 3.00 and progress through to the higher leagues (e.g. Bewley has done it in record time and is now too good for NL with a high CL average). Every year each team should be moving a 9 or 10 point rider on to the higher league, and replacing with a 3.00 newcomer.

So the average we should be looking at is 42 - 9 pt rider + 3 pt rider = 36

Obviously every team isn't going to be able to move their No.1 up, (although they all should be introducing a new 3.00) so we need some wiggle room and I'd say we should be looking nearer 37.5 or 38 for the ideal points limit.

If any teams drop out of the league (Lakeside or cradley etc) then the limit needs to be nudged upwards. If new teams come in it needs to be nudged downwards.

I'd love to know where all these 3 pointers will come from that people keep mentioning. Look at the u15 500cc from this year. The final round had 3 riders in it!!

• Like 2

I'd love to know where all these 3 pointers will come from that people keep mentioning. Look at the u15 500cc from this year. The final round had 3 riders in it!!

Itll just force teams to pick 3.00 riders who arent really upto it and end up with the same problem that Lakeside or Isle of Wight did this season.

But you still need to make the league competitive, so you set the points limit on the amount of teams in the league that year and the situation on what average riders are available, so personally a 40 too 41 point limit is really what we should be aiming towards from looking at what riders are likely too go up and what should be available. Then expect limit will be dropped for year after as their should be quite a few more new youngsters coming though from 250cc youth championship this year.

The problem is there are to many know it alls who don't get off thier bums on a cold Sunday morning and attend these practice sessions and amateur meetings.

I can honestly say I reckon there is no more then 10 x 3 pointers anywhere near ready. And that includes the known riders Kemp, edwards, Spooner, O Keefe, Laker, Couzins, Locke, Bowdery. Whilst there is hot talent coming through they are either 2 young to ride yet, or just far too raw.

If the limit does not go up it will kill meetings as a spectacle imo.

Itll just force teams to pick 3.00 riders who arent really upto it and end up with the same problem that Lakeside or Isle of Wight did this season.

Tbf Couzins and Locke Portwood and Sealey could have a season of filling thier boots at reserve if the average stays low,BUT they will then be saddled with a over inflated average the following season and will struggle to get team places as a result.

To enable development we need a stronger league so youngsters will have to have beaten decent riders in order to up thier averages.

Lakeside suffered this year because of the lack of 3 pointers who could actually score 3 points. Nothing has changed, no new riders

have suddenly appeared. There is no doubt that ANY kid with a bit of talent WILL find a team place in the National League no matter

what team average is applied. These are the riders we all love to see progress, the Ben Morleys of this World are the target for them

to aim at, so any team with a good mix of both kinds will be popular with their fans.

Loved the comment by "Sings 4speedway". Clearly not a Len Silver fan. I had many years attending at both West Ham and Hackney

The Hawks never won anything, but the entertainment was terrific, so Len was rarely criticised in those days. I went to Sittingbourne a few

times this year, especially when either the full Hammers team was there, or as was often the case, Ben Morley was guesting for them.

No signs of Len jumping about on the centre green as he did at Hackney, but in the main the racing was exciting and I was less than

happy that the Kings finished above the Hammers In the final table. How much was attributable to Len, I don't know. Chris Hunt seems to

be a decent team manager, so what is it that "Sings4speedway" is unhappy about ?

You are correct that im not Lens greatest fan but im equally happy to admit that he has done a huge amount for the sport over the years and in bringing speedway back to Kent. I generally find the racing and entertainment good st Sittingbourne and that is what i am looking for from my speedway so no complaints from me there. I was purely stating that this season he built a side based upon the 40 point limit then got caught out when it was dropped to 39 hence no place for Shanes and Stoneman was included instead as all the others had been announced. Could Kent have finished even higher with Shanes + 3.00 pointer rather than Stoneman & Clifton? We will never know......