British Speedway Forum

I feel the product needs some set standards that need to be adhered to across all clubs. This includes prompt start times, no long drawn out meetings, riders having some real attachments to clubs not just riding free lance which has got to now, no TR rule, better presentation, tightening up of the rules....some of the things that have gone on in 2017 have been laughable.

Do I think things will change for the greater good in 2018.....no.

• Like 3

I feel the product needs some set standards that need to be adhered to across all clubs. This includes prompt start times, no long drawn out meetings, riders having some real attachments to clubs not just riding free lance which has got to now, no TR rule, better presentation, tightening up of the rules....some of the things that have gone on in 2017 have been laughable.

Do I think things will change for the greater good in 2018.....no.

Agreed with most of that although I do sincerely hope change is coming for 2018

• Like 2

For me, one thing I would like to see from the AGM is to do away with the....

"Ahhhh! but this is Speedway". Mindset...

It seems that when you enter into the 'British Speedway Bubble' you seem to want to find any way of justifying the most extraordinarily ridiculous rules and regulations...

Instead of just running the Sport properly, like all other Team sports do, Speedway seems to see its 'uniqueness' as being something that allows them to bring in an operating model that takes away all of its credibilty as a Team Sport...

Let's hope this AGM they make the credibilty of the Sport an over riding priority....

Regardless of standard of riders, that alone would bring back many of the fans who have drifted away I would suggest..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

Riders to return to the tapes after a false start within 60secs (pits gate shut)

Riders given a warning if they spend to long ''Gardening""

Riders ready for the next race. (unless they are in it)

That will help especially on a cold night

Any more you can think about??

• Like 3

That does sound like you are trying to take the sport forward with a good idea! 🙈 Have you forgotten it's run by a bunch of dinosaurs that don't like change?

• Like 3

Professional Presentation 7.15pm

Racing starts Prompt 7.30pm

Track graded 7 mins after heat 4.

Interval and track grading 15 mins after heat 10

Meeting Finish 9pm sharp.

Riders available to mingle with fans till 9.30 then Finish....

Time to go home.....

Put the timings back 15 mins and you have described a typical meeting at Foxhall 👍
  • Like 1

Only spanner in works is if there is an accident.

That's where timings go all over the place but if clerk of course is good you call the interval early.

The public should be kept informed at all times.

Another thing I don't see the need for is a presenter on the centre green, get her/him in the crowd and/or pits then they can report on things as they happen.

• Like 2

Only spanner in works is if there is an accident.

That's where timings go all over the place but if clerk of course is good you call the interval early.

The public should be kept informed at all times.

Another thing I don't see the need for is a presenter on the centre green, get her/him in the crowd and/or pits then they can report on things as they happen.

If there is a accident with more than a five minute delay no interval.

• Like 1

Don't they have an interval so all the oldies can go and empty their bag's and check on their knitting patterns.

The ipswich presenter often visited the crowd and often done interviews with riders. Sadly though I think his time may have come to and end.

Edited by baldyman

Can you blame them ??

How many multinationals would want to see their names plastered around run down and ageing stadia that in the main have not had major investment for years. Excl the new BV Stadium that is.

If you look at places like Lakeside (who were in Elite/Prem until this season). It was like taking a walk back in time. I remember taking my son there 30 years ago and when I went in 2016 it was like nothing had been touched. Supporter facilities poor - Toilets that stank to high heaven with overflows and seemingly not touched in decades. Little to no seating/stands.

Can you imagine if Coventry had stayed in Prem in 2017. The stadium was poor. I would cringe if I was a large company seeing my banners plastered around such a dump.

Maybe that's good enough for the spit and sawdust Stocks & Bangers but do major nationals or companies really want their brands advertised in such conditions.

The World is a different place to the sixties & seventies but where most organisations have moved on, unfortunately most stadiums are still caught in this old time warp. An unfortunate fact of life we are all stuck with.

This is the truth unfortunately and gets very little mention. Speedway stadia are shocking in general. I watched at Hyde Rd when I was a nipper, so I took my kids when they were little as I remembered how much I loved it. When I got there I was shocked at how dilapidated the place looked. We moved to Kirky Lane a couple of years later and although it was an old stadium, it had seating with bars on two sides and a restaurant , terracing on three sides and the grass bank was popular for families with youngsters running about. In its latter years it was a disgrace. Bars closed, toilets with smashed urinals, crumbling terracing on the 3Rd/4th bend and the crowd reflected it.

We've had guests and tactical and delays forever, if this forum had existed in the 70's or 80's the complaints would have been the same as now. What's more pertinent is that the public are used to better arenas for sport, football, rugby, ice hockey, basketball have all updated, but Speedway grounds look worse now than they did 30 years ago. The public want more and better.

Im not sure how you achieve that, but tidying are stadia up and improvements needs more emphasis.

Edited by Notenoughnerve
  • Like 2

Don't they have an interval so all the oldies can go and empty their bag's and check on their knitting patterns.

The ipswich presenter often visited the crowd and often done interviews with riders. Sadly though I think his time may have come to and end.

Don't nock the oldies they are the ones keeping speedway going without them stadiums would close all over the country
  • Like 1

Professional Presentation 7.15pm

Racing starts Prompt 7.30pm

Track graded 7 mins after heat 4.

Interval and track grading 15 mins after heat 10

Meeting Finish 9pm sharp.

Riders available to mingle with fans till 9.30 then Finish....

Time to go home.....

I would add an occasional 3 or 4 heat 2nd half for youngsters, fans can then either watch them or go home to bed.

• Like 1

I would add an occasional 3 or 4 heat 2nd half for youngsters, fans can then either watch them or go home to bed.

I'd go one further and make it compulsory for every team to have a 'junior' side...

I remember the SJL with, I think, three riders per team...

Doesn't matter if teams 'share riders' (let's face it, the two top leagues do it daily). It will be more a reason for giving young/new riders laps of racing rather than any serious focus on winning a League that doesn't mean anything..

(Who just said "Thats also like the two top leagues"?☺)..

Be also more like 'pay to play' I would suggest with the riders just having the opportunity for track time rather than earning money so shouldn't cost clubs loads in extra costs..

As you say AO, fans can stay or go...

Although I do remember Simon Wigg suggesting that the 'juniors' should go on before the main team. Theory being you don't have your main course before your starter when you go to a restaurant or you don't have the trailers after the main movie at the cinema..!!

He also felt it would help bring these lads on riding in front of bigger crowds, handling deeper tracks and would also turn the circuit over to ensure the first few races of the main event weren't just 'hold the inside line, first out of the gate wins' processions..

Given his many wide ranging ideas, (some we see today), he would have made an excellent promoter in the true sense of the word Wiggy. Shame the Sport never got the chance to see him fulfill them..

• Like 2

I'd go one further and make it compulsory for every team to have a 'junior' side...

I remember the SJL with, I think, three riders per team...

Doesn't matter if teams 'share riders' (let's face it, the two top leagues do it daily). It will be more a reason for giving young/new riders laps of racing rather than any serious focus on winning a League that doesn't mean anything..

(Who just said "Thats also like the two top leagues"?☺)..

Be also more like 'pay to play' I would suggest with the riders just having the opportunity for track time rather than earning money so shouldn't cost clubs loads in extra costs..

As you say AO, fans can stay or go...

Although I do remember Simon Wigg suggesting that the 'juniors' should go on before the main team. Theory being you don't have your main course before your starter when you go to a restaurant or you don't have the trailers after the main movie at the cinema..!!

He also felt it would help bring these lads on riding in front of bigger crowds, handling deeper tracks and would also turn the circuit over to ensure the first few races of the main event weren't just 'hold the inside line, first out of the gate wins' processions..

Given his many wide ranging ideas, (some we see today), he would have made an excellent promoter in the true sense of the word Wiggy. Shame the Sport never got the chance to see him fulfill them..

Some excellent ideas there, although I'm unsure about putting the juniors on first. Often their races have fallers, sometimes more than one in the same race, engine failures are also more common with juniors bikes and although we all accept it is part of the learning curve, I could see a few stoppages causing irritation with some fans waiting for the "main event". Whenever junior races have taken place after the main event, I've always stayed behind to watch, but realise many fans have kids to get home for school in the morning or long distances to travel, so need to get away. I always enjoyed the "second half" as it was known years ago, and thats what I would love to see return now.