British Speedway Forum

There are two reasonably simply ways to stop gardening at the tapes.

1) Concrete starting area, like tracks used to have. Never saw a rider try to dig up a concrete starting grid!

2) A line ten feet from the tapes. Riders are not allowed over that line until the start marshall gives them a signal and then they are only allowed to move forward to the tapes with NO backing up allowed. Any rider who does not go straight from the line to the tapes and stop will be put on 15 yard hadicap.

(1) would mean a cost to every track so (2) may be preferred by promotors but (1) does solve the problem with no chance of gardening!

Nothing wrong with "gardening" as far as I can see. As long as riders are at the start and ready to go when the 2 minutes are up, then what's the problem?

If they are still digging about when the two minutes expires then exclude them. That's all you need to do.

• Like 8

i would think the bar and cafe takings are available to only the minority of tracks;

KL, Redcar, buxton, Somerset mbe Plymouth err.... i thnk thats it

edit maybe Glasgow, Rye House

You can add Scunny to your list.

BELLE Vue and Eastbourne ...

I thought one of the issues at BV was that the club didn't get the catering money?

I thought one of the issues at BV was that the club didn't get the catering money?

BELIEVE they franchise it out but get paid for that

I thought that was at the dog hole

Utter rubbish. I know for a fact that at Lynn Chapman gets the receipts from the bars and snacks and so I would imagine that is the case at some other tracks too, so try again please and give me another reason if mine isn't relevant, why most meetings drag on for sooooooooooooooo long.

The referee is responsible for keeping the meetings moving. He should put the riders on two minutes as soon as the riders from the previous race have cleared the track.

At Blackbird Road, they had a presentation at 7:45, 20 races and I was still in the pub by 10pm most weeks.

• Like 1

The referee is responsible for keeping the meetings moving. He should put the riders on two minutes as soon as the riders from the previous race have cleared the track.

At Blackbird Road, they had a presentation at 7:45, 20 races and I was still in the pub by 10pm most weeks.

And that was probably why the sport don't attract enough young families with children. !0pm finish for them would be way too late...

Yes the referee can put the 2min warning on , but he is governed by track work and riders having successive races.. That would create time waiting issues...

There are two reasonably simply ways to stop gardening at the tapes.

1) Concrete starting area, like tracks used to have. Never saw a rider try to dig up a concrete starting grid!

2) A line ten feet from the tapes. Riders are not allowed over that line until the start marshall gives them a signal and then they are only allowed to move forward to the tapes with NO backing up allowed. Any rider who does not go straight from the line to the tapes and stop will be put on 15 yard hadicap.

(1) would mean a cost to every track so (2) may be preferred by promotors but (1) does solve the problem with no chance of gardening!

A simple timer clock at the tapes, ready to go at 0000!

Maybe they should ask Frank Ebdon to do a referees seminar where he cam enlighten the present crop on methods of getting through the racing.
  • Like 7

Well OK then, not many other tracks probably have the same excuse but I was basing my answer on my experiences at Lynn and also in reply to several people who were citing Lynn as an example of where the meetings are terribly dragged out.

I still really can't see the benefits of purposly dragging out a meeting for any other reasons than what I have stated though but accept that this WON'T be the reason at SOME tracks.

Try MOST instead of SOME. More wiggle room for you to get out of your original statement.

Quick question - how many other motor sports attract - or attempt to attract - a young family audience?!

I'd have thought that the 16-30 age group should be the key target audience as they have some reasonable spending power and if hooked could be the regular fans of the next 10-20 years!!

• Like 1

There are some great ideas on this forum, I wonder if any of the "promoters" have read them?

I would doubt it.