British Speedway Forum

I could see Jacob at Lynn. He's a real racer and loves grip. But maybe he will give the UK a miss if he is coming back from injury and isnt at his home team...

Good shout a nasty injury to get over but hopefully he is fit come March.

What controls were in place then as regards team strengths and would that work now?

When I started going there was no rider control. Wimbledon won the league year after year and everyone expected them to. But they were a great draw as supporters of other teams went to see if their team could possibly beat this powerhouse. From 1954-1961 they won the league every year, expect for 1957 when Swindon topped the league. In 1962 a new powerhouse team, Southampton, took the title. Their top two were Barry Briggs and Bjorn Knutson, both slightly above an eight point average I believe! Funnily enough, Wimbledon had three riders above eight that year - Ronnie Moore, Ron How and Bob Andrews. But people wanted to see all these top riders. They were a great attraction.

Good shout a nasty injury to get over but hopefully he is fit come March.

If we are unable to sign Niels I would be happy with either Morris or Thorssell both ride Lynn well and both are exciting to watch

That would not really be fair ..everyone accepts that if you win the win the league you have break up your side, was is wrong it should be your choice how you do it and who you lose . That is why the over 8 rule so unfair and a massive backward step .

WHY should you have to break up your team? Everyone doesn't accept that as witnessed above.

Don't penalise success. It's ridiculous. One promoter once told me that there was no point trying to bring along young talent because sooner or later he would be forced to see them go elsewhere, probably to a track that did nothing off their own back.

I repeat ... madness.

• Like 7

When I started going there was no rider control. Wimbledon won the league year after year and everyone expected them to. But they were a great draw as supporters of other teams went to see if their team could possibly beat this powerhouse. From 1954-1961 they won the league every year, expect for 1957 when Swindon topped the league. In 1962 a new powerhouse team, Southampton, took the title. Their top two were Barry Briggs and Bjorn Knutson, both slightly above an eight point average I believe! Funnily enough, Wimbledon had three riders above eight that year - Ronnie Moore, Ron How and Bob Andrews. But people wanted to see all these top riders. They were a great attraction.

They still are. But appears that the powers that be dont want poole to win the league every year..

WHY should you have to break up your team? Everyone doesn't accept that as witnessed above.

Don't penalise success. It's ridiculous. One promoter once told me that there was no point trying to bring along young talent because sooner or later he would be forced to see them go elsewhere, probably to a track that did nothing off their own back.

I repeat ... madness.

Totally agree if it’s a 42.5 team building number then let teams build to it. If teams want to build top heavy then it should be their choice.
  • Like 2

If we are unable to sign Niels I would be happy with either Morris or Thorssell both ride Lynn well and both are exciting to watch

On a race day Nick and Jason can wave to each other as they pass on the road, bloody daft decision.

For me, should have ran five man teams...

Saving two salaries per team......

The top five average of Swindon should have been 'the benchmark' for the other seven teams..

Build every team to Swindon's top five....

No restrictions on riders averages apart from 'you cannot have a higher average than Swindons top five'...

British Speedway's top league needs (affordable) quality of rider over quantity....

Riding in the top league should be aspirational not 'an extra earner' which for riders six and seven it often is..

Five riders per team meaning lots of replacement possibilities to cover injuries and loss of form rather than Guests?

And credibilty to the League?

Got to be better than the current 'never mind the the quality, feel the width'..

Edited by mikebv

I repeat ... madness.

Then make sure you tuck in to these village idiots in your magazine.

Fed up of listening to the utter sh*te these morons trot out year in, year out and all they do is reinvent the wheel.

Either, make the sport watchable and tempt the quality back or chuck it all in and go to one league.

Halfway house every year does nothing for no one except disaffect supporters and riders alike.

Edited by theblueboy
  • Like 1

We can't keep building to the average of the league winners with too less riders. No team has to release all it's riders, why does everyone keep suggesting they do?

The biggest risk if anyone takes on Thorssell isn't his ability away, it's his ability to get back to the level he was at prior to the injury.

• Like 1

Then make sure you tuck in to these village idiots in your magazine.

Fed up of listening to the utter sh*te these morons trot out year in, year out and all they do is reinvent the wheel.

Either, make the sport watchable and tempt the quality back or chuck it all in and go to one league.

Halfway house every year does nothing for no one except disaffect supporters and riders alike.

Spot on - either make the sport attractable, exciting and thrilling as above to go into the one diluted league with young new riders ( only racing against themselves ) - to give that total of riders required. Halfway house - as we have gotten year on year can only drive more people away.

Spot on - either make the sport attractable, exciting and thrilling as above to go into the one diluted league with young new riders ( only racing against themselves ) - to give that total of riders required. Halfway house - as we have gotten year on year can only drive more people away.

And it also smacks of having no vision for the Sport and therefore, no mid or long term plan...

(And therefore no Strong Leadership)...

Stick up a five year plan for the Sport, set yearly goals and make everyone aware of what you are doing, why you are doing it, how you will deliver it, and the ultimate objective it will deliver...

And stop trying to 'appease' everyone who will, by definition, have differing agendas...

Build the plan collaboratively but make it clear when finalised all sign up to it or walk away if you dont agree...

No Half Arsed "ahh but's", however well intentioned...

The tail seems to wag the dog in British Speedway, but by keeping the weakest on almost permanent 'life support' it can never grow the Sport as it will be continually dumbing down instead of moving forward...

A perfect example is this year's 42.5 average per team. Potentially a good move. But no need for the caveat of only one 8 pt+ rider. More appeasement...

Simply, if you cannot afford to put out a team of Premiership quality using the 42.5 target,then don't ride in it...

Then, if that means there are not enough teams available to make up a credible Premiership then don't run the League at that 42.5 strength and build the top League to a lower standard...

But make that decision, stick with it, and don't bring in any appeasement adjustments, as in the long run you will be making them for anyone and everyone forever, and ultimately therefore, never moving forward..

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 4

? You mean BT sport i assume !

Nope, he meant Sky.

BT had the costs covered by Sky who paid out of their contract a season early.

• Like 1