British Speedway Forum

? You mean BT sport i assume !

I believe last years live television rights were paid by Sky TV even though it was shown on BT sport.

The biggest risk if anyone takes on Thorssell isn't his ability away, it's his ability to get back to the level he was at prior to the injury.

I don't envisage that being much of an issue.

The bigger risk is he has never even ridden at heat leader for any prolonged spell.

His average is based upon riding at No 4 and is quite inflated as a result.

Next year should have been the year he transitioned to No 2 heat leader.. throwing him in at No 1 is a big ask, especially if the team he is in is struggling.

Stick up a five year plan for the Sport, set yearly goals and make everyone aware of what you are doing, why you are doing it, how you will deliver it, and the ultimate objective it will deliver...

The Chairman said after the 2015 AGM; “We’ve got a five-year plan and I’m confident we can get to where we want to be within that time scale."

Edited by Alan Jones

The Chairman said after the 2015 AGM; “We’ve got a five-year plan and I’m confident we can get to where we want to be within that time scale."

Looking at the dumbing down of the teams again it is leading to one big league plus NL.

Looking at the dumbing down of the teams again it is leading to one big league plus NL.

They're not being dumbed down much this year, if anything at all.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if the Premiership was stronger than last year. Vaculik already in and Zagar wanting to come back.

They're not being dumbed down much this year, if anything at all.

Not dumbed down "much" still means being dumbed down.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Premiership was stronger than last year. Vaculik already in and Zagar wanting to come back.

quite agree i think it will be stronger , the only thing that annoying that some riders may not get a track because of it

I don't agree with the only one 8+ rider but the new team average of 42.50 means that the overall standard will be slightly higher than last year if everyone builds to or, near to, that level.

Unfortunately he has mislaid the used envelope it was scribbled down on

'RIDER CONTROL' was knocking about in the early Seventies when I first attended. .

(A good job the Internet wasn't invented back then)

Bottom line is chopping and changing personnel year in year out does nothing to engage fan or rider loyalty, does nothing to engage long term sponsors who may want to associate themselves over a long period with 'star men' and does nothing to help the promotion or marketing of a team locally...

Yet year on year on year teams make wholesale changes swapping riders just for the Sport to (at the very best) stand still...

When we had Wilson, Boulger and Jessup at Leicester, plus a cast of regulars filling the other places, the crowds were good and interest high.

All three moved on at various times although I think that DJ was first to go. There were conflicting stories around at the time as to whether he moved due to Rider Control, excessive money demands, or tightwad promoters. Whatever, we were then treated to a succession of riders coming in via the Rider Control system who were substandard and in many cases didn't want to be there and showed it by their performances. The club's decline was rapid and steep from then on until Rogers revived it a few years later.

A form of "Rider control" might have been better this year. With three 8 pointers being forced out of teams, surely they should have been allocated to the 3 teams that need such a rider.

Perhaps a degree of flexibility that wasn't around in the 70s would be needed - as in which riders left clubs and who went where - but it should have been ensured that all the riders left out were allocated to another team.

I believe you have read the situation well.

I do however believe every club will be up the creek without a paddle this year unless they find a way to fund the large gap left in their finances from the lose of Sky TV money.

maybe working harder to improve core attendances is a good place to start

And it also smacks of having no vision for the Sport and therefore, no mid or long term plan...

(And therefore no Strong Leadership)...

Stick up a five year plan for the Sport, set yearly goals and make everyone aware of what you are doing, why you are doing it, how you will deliver it, and the ultimate objective it will deliver...

And stop trying to 'appease' everyone who will, by definition, have differing agendas...

Build the plan collaboratively but make it clear when finalised all sign up to it or walk away if you dont agree...

No Half Arsed "ahh but's", however well intentioned...

The tail seems to wag the dog in British Speedway, but by keeping the weakest on almost permanent 'life support' it can never grow the Sport as it will be continually dumbing down instead of moving forward...

A perfect example is this year's 42.5 average per team. Potentially a good move. But no need for the caveat of only one 8 pt+ rider. More appeasement...

Simply, if you cannot afford to put out a team of Premiership quality using the 42.5 target,then don't ride in it...

Then, if that means there are not enough teams available to make up a credible Premiership then don't run the League at that 42.5 strength and build the top League to a lower standard...

But make that decision, stick with it, and don't bring in any appeasement adjustments, as in the long run you will be making them for anyone and everyone forever, and ultimately therefore, never moving forward..

Couldnt of said it any better myself top post 👌👍

Ok, forget the much. They are not being dumbed down at all.

The league will be stronger.

• Like 1