British Speedway Forum

I think we were looking at it from different angles, I can see your point and it wouldn't be great if Morris is out of a job. But as far as employing Zagar, Kildemand or Woffinden instead I'd say good luck to Swindon or anyone else if they can afford them instead as the eight point rule is a poor one. Hardly madness when we all want to see better riders over here.

Why would it be total madness please?

Please, I would have thought that was obvious. There are far better riders than Morris, who could come in on a crocked average and replace him. The reason Morris's average to so high was because he rode last year in a weak league. Riders such as Woffy, Zagar, PK, all better than Morris, still have a relative lower score because they didn't ride. Allowing them to compete on them old scores would be insult to the riders who did ride last year.......

• Like 3

See my above post. The point I was making is that we don't want to be excluding more quality riders from our league, wouldn't be fair to stop Swindon and Wolves using their second highest averaging riders and then prevent them using another quality rider in their place.

I think all three of us can agree that the eight point rule is daft. Hope you can see what I'm getting at.

So are we being blackmailed by Ipswich ? , who are dictating their preferences.... Surely the question here is why teams like Ipswich and Sheffield prefer to be a big fish in a little pond rather than compete with the best available. If the championship is so sought after, why not run the Premiership on the similar lines. The last thing the sport wants is to have 2 separate entities, each competing for their own importance.

We argue the sport is not taken seriously, yet we continue to fuel the ideas that project this image. There is talk of a 5 yr plan but surely the first priority is to run the sport on a progressive structure. You cant allow teams to dictate their existence, It's like allowing Arsenal to compete in the 2nd division. We experienced this at Lynn and most of the success gained always had that hollow feel attached to it, knowing we were only playing in a small pond....

When those fixed race night were first mentioned, it was thought Thursday was a far better option than Wednesday's because of them clashing with Danish league. Now it seems the whole programme has had to be adjusted, because of 2 teams refused to comply....

This sport will never move forward, until all the teams are of one unanimous body...

Thorssell was tweeting yesterday that he is worried about the over 8 rule. He wants to ride in the UK and wants to ride for Wolves.

The problem here is that these are not like the top riders of old, as mentioned elsewhere. It's not a Hancock / Hamill or was Holder / Ward.

These are riders who stuck with a much weakened league last year and, because of that, have need up with averages a point above the likes of Zagar, Woffinden, Kildemand etc who rode in a stronger league and with a different race format. That is why this is wrong in this particular year.

It's not just about team strength.

Wouldn't be the first time.

If memory serves wasn't it Ipswich who were instrumental in the dropping of the old Tactical Substitution rules (and hence the introduction of the TR rule) as they couldn't afford the extra points money Nicholls was costing them? :unsure:

Edited by Wolfsbane
  • Like 2

If memory serves wasn't it Ipswich who were instrumental in the dropping of the old Tactical Substitution rules (and hence the introduction of the TR rule) as they couldn't afford the extra points money Nicholls was costing them? :unsure:

That's how I remember it, yes.

• Like 1

What I see is a fudge of compromises, trade-offs and a rift between the two leagues which has been patched over temporarily.

Its a case of most have got what they didn't ideally want, and some have got what they wanted. Next year's horse trading will just rake up the compromises made this time as favours reckoned to be owed are called in. Democracy in action!!

• Like 1

I think the Championship have ended up with pretty much everything they could have wished for from the AGM (more of them to vote things through I guess) and once again its the Premiership that is made to suffer with stupid rules that once again pander to the weaker teams!!

Even the MC has more SGBC reps on it.

Lets hope that the future of the whole sport continues to be the aim rather than the future of the Championship and we get to see more stronger riders gracing the Premiership at some point.

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 3

I think the Championship have ended up with pretty much everything they could have wished for from the AGM (more of them to vote things through I guess) and once again its the Premiership that is made to suffer with stupid rules that once again pander to the weaker teams!!

Even the MC has more SGBC reps on it.

Lets hope that the future of the whole sport continues to be the aim rather than the future of the Championship and we get to see more stronger riders gracing the Premiership at some point.

Indeed - madness how the Premiership is consistently forced to pander to the Championship. If we spent more time promoting the top division of Speedway then maybe it would be in a better place.

• Like 3

Premiership clubs need 4 promoters just to stand a chance against the Championship

If the BSPA were to allow any team now to field JD/PK or JD/MZ or JD/TW it would be total madness, But it would sure highlight the stupidity of that '1 over 8' rule....

The motivation to only allow 1 rider of 8 strikes me to be born out of spite, and to drag the top teams down to the bottom, Swindon could quite easily have a stronger top two using up less points, appears like a hasty decision with little thought.

• Like 1

The motivation to only allow 1 rider of 8 strikes me to be born out of spite, and to drag the top teams down to the bottom, Swindon could quite easily have a stronger top two using up less points, appears like a hasty decision with little thought.

Thats the BSPA for you Drink first talk afterwards

Thats the BSPA for you Drink first talk afterwards

Probably slurring their words, was going to vote on only rider whose a mate, but came out as 8. Surprised the pissed up buffoons came up with a decent points limit.

Probably slurring their words, was going to vote on only rider whose a mate, but came out as 8. Surprised the pissed up buffoons came up with a decent points limit.

42. whatever hardly a decent team building average.

42. whatever hardly a decent team building average.

It is for them, you know how they want to dilute the product, I was expecting 40 at best.

See the AGM has worked once again let's bring back to riders in the gps that's the world champion gone then they have no idea but still charge same price to get in and they wonder why less and less people watching ever year