British Speedway Forum

I think matt ford should set up an employment agency for speedway riders as he got so many assets

I think matt ford should set up an employment agency for speedway riders as he got so many assets

Maybe not such a daft idea though, as all those loan fees he can get probably contribute to the costs of some of the new riders he has coming in or in mind for the future :-)

I seem to recall a rule limiting the number of assets a club could have......there again I could have been dreaming

• Like 1

So an 8 point rider has a poor start to the season and drops below 8 points in the first set of greensheet averages!! Does that mean another 8 pointer can be signed - and in theory at least - make the team even stronger within the 42.5 limit?

PS. Bjerre cannot be vying with Cook for a BV team place yet as BV won't have yet had permission from Poole who own Bjerre's contract. Similar situation with NKI and KL if you believe MF's comments in today's local Echo?!

In justifying the 'one over the eight' rule, he states its in everyone's interest to ensure that the likes of Somerset have a decent Number 1. He then goes on to mention several riders by name that he is in contact with - NKI, Bjerre, Holder, Andersen, Janowski and Madsen. So could this mean that for example Kurtz may be loaned back to Somerset (along with his mate Jack Holder) and also even with C.Holder(?), leaving Poole to sign another 8 pointer and a couple of 7 pointers to make a stronger 2-5?

Could this possibly be the same Matt Ford who around two years ago was suggesting that if other clubs were struggling to get decent riders, then it was their fault alone and should stop bemoaning it?

Why, yes, it surely is!!!

I think it's a shame that Morris and Thorsell are going to be pushed out of their teams plans. Surely if a rider over 8pas has ridden for a team for say; 3 years straight that they get half a point taken off. How else do you keep top riders from leaving these shores? Will seriously effect both teams attendances as they are real entertainers too.

I think it's a shame that Morris and Thorsell are going to be pushed out of their teams plans. Surely if a rider over 8pas has ridden for a team for say; 3 years straight that they get half a point taken off. How else do you keep top riders from leaving these shores? Will seriously effect both teams attendances as they are real entertainers too.

• Like 5

HAVE been saying for donkey's years that a team should be allowed to start a new season with the team that finished the previous one. Fans have their favourites only to see them denied the chance to continue with the same team. Madness.

• Like 9

HAVE been saying for donkey's years that a team should be allowed to start a new season with the team that finished the previous one. Fans have their favourites only to see them denied the chance to continue with the same team. Madness.

If its by the points limit alone then that happens quite often, but to deny a team using their own assets, riders they've invested time in and fans have got to think of part of the family sucks, loyalty should be rewarded not broken up, a limit and only 1 over 8 is a double whammy to some teams, no wonder fans are drifting away.

• Like 3

And still no-one listens....

I can guarantee that my love of the sport (and subsequent thousands of pounds spent on it) would have been destroyed (and me lost to the sport) if PC and Chris Morton had ended up having to go elsewhere during my 'formative' watching years just because 'they were too good' or more to the point 'others are not good enough'....

Those two individuals put tangible extra bums on seats and if either had ever left, BV would have seen crowds impacted severely..

Fans affinity with 'their riders' should never be underestimated...

Swindon this year should be 'the benchmark' for others to aspire to...

Rather than a team that now has to jettison top talent (including possibly THE best rider in the World) who may (or may not) subsequently be picked up by other teams...

A constant race to the bottom is British Speedway's aspiration with 'survival of the weakest' its overall aim...

And as evolution shows, we know how that ends...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 5

And still no-one listens....

I can guarantee that my love of the sport (and subsequent thousands of pounds spent on it) would have been destroyed (and me lost to the sport) if PC and Chris Morton had ended up having to go elsewhere during my 'formative' watching years just because 'they were too good' or more to the point 'others are not good enough'....

What controls were in place then as regards team strengths and would that work now?

Yet the teams that stuck with them are being denied using them, what a way to treat loyalty.

I agree and it is annoying but this has been happening for along time now why cant the same team defend there crown? .I personally dont care about the winning or losing for me speedway now is about enjoying the racing and having a night out. Edited by Sidney the robin
  • Like 1

That would not really be fair ..everyone accepts that if you win the win the league you have break up your side, was is wrong it should be your choice how you do it and who you lose . That is why the over 8 rule so unfair and a massive backward step .

What controls were in place then as regards team strengths and would that work now?

'RIDER CONTROL' was knocking about in the early Seventies when I first attended. .

(A good job the Internet wasn't invented back then)😀

Bottom line is chopping and changing personnel year in year out does nothing to engage fan or rider loyalty, does nothing to engage long term sponsors who may want to associate themselves over a long period with 'star men' and does nothing to help the promotion or marketing of a team locally...

Yet year on year on year teams make wholesale changes swapping riders just for the Sport to (at the very best) stand still...

Edited by mikebv

Only by fools.

Signing a No 1 based upon an average achieved at No 4 is risky in the extreme.

Ah the old myth.

Yep, racing was much closer when Hans Nielsen was racing David Haynes back in the late 80's.

Big difference between riding at no 4 and at no 1.

Making that step up AND changing track would be a gamble for teams taking him on.

If i remember rightly didnt you say last year that he should of been replaced around the Skornicki change i think you said Rory and somebody else.? In this moment in time with the standard of the league the way it is Thorssell for me would do very well he is ready to step up Kings Lynn would be a great move for him IF he moves how long has he been at Wolves 2012" was it.???

If i remember rightly didnt you say last year that he should of been replaced around the Skornicki change i think you said Rory and somebody else.? In this moment in time with the standard of the league the way it is Thorssell for me would do very well he is ready to step up Kings Lynn would be a great move for him IF he moves how long has he been at Wolves 2012" was it.???

I could see Jacob at Lynn. He's a real racer and loves grip. But maybe he will give the UK a miss if he is coming back from injury and isnt at his home team...

Apparently we did get a vote because it was a league matter, rather than General Council.

So that puts paid to that.

• Like 2