British Speedway Forum
jenga

Workington 2018 .

1 hour ago, Neila said:

Advert in local paper today advertising comets, big tick for advert BUT no speedway again for people to take notice of advertising, gonna have to do a big relaunch next week to remind fans speedway does run in Workington !! 6 weeks ? Since last meeting

My season, weather permitting, will be starting in June, only seen Cumberland Open so it'll just be nice to see the Comets as a home team? :(

Definitely not good for the club advertising an event that has very rarely shown itself to the paying public of Workington and the surround for the thick end of two months, not doing anyone any favours at all this, tourist season up and running....shame we aren't? :blush:

Looking at the fixtures we are pretty regular from next week, some Fridays though,  just watch the monsoons come...hopefully not.

Edited by comet49

6 hours ago, comet49 said:

Looking at the fixtures we are pretty regular from next week, some Fridays though,  just watch the monsoons come...hopefully not.

Only if Friday's are good for you it is? :unsure:

18 minutes ago, Lord Lucan said:

My self and a few other people I know will be at work on Fridays, so some people's attendance will be down 50%, so less money coming into the club, you just can't win whatever they do, not having a go at management just a valid comment :)

1 minute ago, Neila said:

My self and a few other people I know will be at work on Fridays, so some people's attendance will be down 50%, so less money coming into the club, you just can't win whatever they do, not having a go at management just a valid comment :)

Quite, but Workington Speedway has always been, this time around, a Saturday night club and you cant just go changing your race day to suit the promotion you've got to have your crowd on your side first, it's not realistic, IMO, to run on Friday night as it's still generally the working week and as you've said, quite a few will be doing exactly that? :(

Times have changed irrevocably since the seventies and although it does of course remain to be seen if the venture will work, customer interest will have been severely dented by this lack of sport ever since the season pretty much started, we're almost beginning from scratch here so it remains to be seen if enough support will come back after such a gap? :unsure:

most/some of the Friday meetings were put in place so we , the fans could watch cookie do the G.P.s . there arnt many people who dont have a tv box of some description that can record the G.P.s to watch later on or even on a Sunday when fans are recovering from a hangover !

the management are trying to keep everyone sweet and happy . its a good move by them .IMO.

Second that jenga! All this moaning on the forum can we  not think ourselves lucky the workington owners have secured speedway for another season. Let's get behind the team because I've never seen such encouraging away performances since I started following the comets since the stonehewer days!! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

Quite, but Workington Speedway has always been, this time around, a Saturday night club and you cant just go changing your race day to suit the promotion you've got to have your crowd on your side first, it's not realistic, IMO, to run on Friday night as it's still generally the working week and as you've said, quite a few will be doing exactly that? :(

Times have changed irrevocably since the seventies and although it does of course remain to be seen if the venture will work, customer interest will have been severely dented by this lack of sport ever since the season pretty much started, we're almost beginning from scratch here so it remains to be seen if enough support will come back after such a gap? :unsure:

I think that's a question of swings and roundabouts. Some can make Fridays, some Saturdays. You can see the logic in moving to Friday with Cook riding in the GP's - there's every chance people will stay at home to watch a truly local boy race at the sports highest level. 

The problem to me is less about the day and more about the irregularity of fixtures but that affects almost very club, not just Workington.

I'd say run every fortnight until June and then pack the fixtures in every week until the end of August. At least people might be able to get into a regular habit.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lord Lucan said:

As it happens I can make it on Fridays and wouldn't have liked have not being able to.  I don't know what the answer is, HT's idea is good, if it doesn't rain. 

Edited by comet49

Those moaning about the odd Friday should think themselves lucky they don't follow a Premiership Club or Sheffield or Redcar.

Designated race nights for the Premiership and Championship clubs I believe is a good thing and has/will help rider availability.

What hasn't helped has been the stop/start nature of the season. I am not sure why the season started so early and was followed by so few fixtures. I know the Comets aren't the only team affected, but having only 2 home fixtures before the start of June is ridiculous. Maybe absence will make the heart grow fonder, and this coupled with the very impressive showings at Peterborough and Glasgow will result in bumper crowds from June onwards. Well we can dream.

You are not going to satisfy everyone, whatever night you race on, however I don't really see the problem with the Friday/Saturday night option.

Historically we were always a Friday track, and for most (not all) people nowadays their weekends start at 3 or 4 pm on a Friday. I obviously don't know everyone's circumstances, but swap shifts, forgo that overtime, there may be a way to ensure you get down to DP.

I think it may be a good idea not to post your views about who can or cant make it on Fridays or any race night.

The trouble with making statements like you do, is that you DONT have the inside knowledge of everyones availability. And to say things like "their weekends start at 3 or 4pm on a Friday" is totally ludicrous, without knowing the way that these days many employers are forcing staff to work longer weeks !

The only person that will know for sure if Friday race nights are benefitting the club more than any other, is Laura, when she counts the takings from each night. And you are hardly going to be privilege to that info !

35 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

I think it may be a good idea not to post your views about who can or cant make it on Fridays or any race night.

The trouble with making statements like you do, is that you DONT have the inside knowledge of everyones availability. And to say things like "their weekends start at 3 or 4pm on a Friday" is totally ludicrous, without knowing the way that these days many employers are forcing staff to work longer weeks !

The only person that will know for sure if Friday race nights are benefitting the club more than any other, is Laura, when she counts the takings from each night. And you are hardly going to be privilege to that info !

Wow who.wakened u up !

i am sure k denham will loan you one of his click counters . all you got to do is turn up EARLY (like Scott ) pay to get access to the grandstand  entry and start clicking .

the work out how many have family tickets , how many are oap,s , how many kids  and how many have sponsor passes  etc .

its dead easy . innit ?

6 hours ago, comet49 said:

As it happens I can make it on Fridays and wouldn't have liked have not being able to.  I don't know what the answer is, HT's idea is good, if it doesn't rain. 

Pleased that one of us is happy then!! :D

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Carlislecomet2 said:

Those moaning about the odd Friday should think themselves lucky they don't follow a Premiership Club or Sheffield or Redcar.

Designated race nights for the Premiership and Championship clubs I believe is a good thing and has/will help rider availability.

What hasn't helped has been the stop/start nature of the season. I am not sure why the season started so early and was followed by so few fixtures. I know the Comets aren't the only team affected, but having only 2 home fixtures before the start of June is ridiculous. Maybe absence will make the heart grow fonder, and this coupled with the very impressive showings at Peterborough and Glasgow will result in bumper crowds from June onwards. Well we can dream.

You are not going to satisfy everyone, whatever night you race on, however I don't really see the problem with the Friday/Saturday night option.

Historically we were always a Friday track, and for most (not all) people nowadays their weekends start at 3 or 4 pm on a Friday. I obviously don't know everyone's circumstances, but swap shifts, forgo that overtime, there may be a way to ensure you get down to DP.

The "ODD" Friday, it's half a season's worth!! :)

What I can't understand is why, with only twelve teams in the league the powers that be still cant come up with a fixture list that provides for regular racing?

Out of sight out of mind really does bugger your crowd levels? :(

• Like 2