British Speedway Forum
jenga

Workington 2018 .

Fancy running a business where your main competitors are allowed to tell you when you can open?

So they can then use your employees...:D

Only in Speedway..:D

Edit: British Speedway...

Thank goodness it is ran so brilliantly, as if it wasn't ran so brilliantly I could actually see a day when it might end up struggling...:rolleyes:

Edited by mikebv
  • Haha 1

Just now, mikebv said:

Fancy running a business where your main competitors are allowed to tell you when you can open?

So they can then use your employees...:D

Only in Speedway..:D

Edit: British Speedway...

Thank goodness it is ran so well, as if it wasn't it could end up struggling...:rolleyes:

when you can open? and close ffs!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Whisperer said:

How are sales of the Gerhardt engines going?

Hello, is there anybody there?

10 hours ago, Whisperer said:

Hello, is there anybody there?

Put a new thread up you may get an answer

• Like 1

Will the Worky riders refuse guest bookings on these disputed Fridays?

Will the Worky promotion ask them to?

• Like 1

I know I am sticking my head above the parapet a little and that it is very late in the day to be altering the fixture list, but does anybody know how many Saturdays is it we can't race because of stadium availability.

For a club that applied and were refused permission to run on Fridays, we seem to have more than the odd one.

Who gave the assurances to Laura that some Friday meetings would not be a problem.

Is there an official BSPA statement out there somewhere regarding the cancelling of Friday meetings. The last time I looked no other club has issued a similar statement to ours.

As far as I aware we were one of the first clubs to struggle find a guest on a Friday due to the number of fixtures on that night.

Now that our season is finally about to start the problem of rider availability is only going to get worse, particularly for us I agree, but it will surely affect everyone to some degree.

I know its going to be a ballache to rearrange fixtures at short notice but surely it is better than teams made up of novices.

The fixture list was a joke to start with, this latest twist just compounds things. At least the BSPA have finally acknowledged this and have tried to do something about it (I will get my coat).

Call me naïve, but I have no time for conspiracy theorists.

See you at DP tonight (Friday).

3 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Will the Worky riders refuse guest bookings on these disputed Fridays?

Will the Worky promotion ask them to?

while I wouldn't want to see the riders loose the chance to earn money 

it would be nice to protest if any such club asked them to guest 

after all weve seen it many time ride against you and score big points guest for you on garunteed fee and score sod all 

or ride against such clubs as a guest and ride your socks off to make them wish they hadn't stopped you racing at home that night

Reading the peterboro thread they are ok to ride on fridays due to the stadium being free, wonder if we could try the same sure town would play ball lol.

38 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Reading the peterboro thread they are ok to ride on fridays due to the stadium being free, wonder if we could try the same sure town would play ball lol.

As far as I can see, that's just one Friday. In addition, my suspicion is that Peterborough's difficulties with stadium availability are far worse than those of either Lakeside or Workington.

Having said that, to tell a club that its arranged fixtures must change half way through the season when they have been agreed is farcical. Word I got was that there was no issue until a certain club lost a couple of riders to injury and couldn't get guests which, frankly, makes sense.  

I think it was clear from the outset that rider availability could be a problem if all the teams in the league were riding on one night (in which case one or two should have been refused permission to do so) but it seems that this decision has been dictated by self interest (there's a surprise :angry:).

What makes the situation even worse is I have also heard that teams have refused to come next week and on 27/28 July.  In the circumstances, they shouldn't have a choice.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 4

Have thought all along its all down to mr godfrey just wish someone had the balls to stand up to him and to force the other teams to come when we have use of derwent park.

• Like 1

Godfrey and Chapman SHOUT the loudest in any "discussion" and invariably get their way. They will be swept away in the end but sadly so will speedway as we know it in the UK.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Have thought all along its all down to mr godfrey just wish someone had the balls to stand up to him and to force the other teams to come when we have use of derwent park.

It can't be his fault entirely. Even if the idea to change was his - which is possible, if not likely - he can't carry it through on his own. Others must have supported it, so they are equally culpable.

In addition, lets not forget that Workington have been struggling to survive for a number of seasons. Even if fixtures hadn't been changed, there's no guarantee that they would come to the tapes in 2019. 

Having said that, this ridiculous and selfish action unquestionably makes things more difficult for Laura Morgan. I know how much she cares about Workington Speedway but there will be limits. This could help push her towards thinking she really has had enough :(:angry:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

It can't be his fault entirely. Even if the idea to change was his - which is possible, if not likely - he can't carry it through on his own. Others must have supported it, so they are equally culpable.

In addition, lets not forget that Workington have been struggling to survive for a number of seasons. Even if fixtures hadn't been changed, there's no guarantee that they would come to the tapes in 2019. 

Having said that, this ridiculous and selfish action unquestionably makes things more difficult for Laura Morgan. I know how much she cares about Workington Speedway but there will be limits. This could help push her towards thinking she really has had enough :(:angry:

The ideal scenario for those who want one big league in 2019, the sixty four thousand dollar question is which will be the next club to be exited. Lakeside or Peterborough? What about that club miles from anywhere in Berwick where the new promotion have sunk their heart, souls and money into saving the sport on Tweedside?

It could be any other club but one thing's for sure there are more casualties to come.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Whisperer said:

The ideal scenario for those who want one big league in 2019, the sixty four thousand dollar question is which will be the next club to be exited. Lakeside or Peterborough? What about that club miles from anywhere in Berwick where the new promotion have sunk their heart, souls and money into saving the sport on Tweedside?

It could be any other club but one thing's for sure there are more casualties to come.

I think you are hearing exactly the same as me.   

It seems that the number of clubs in the planned league is less than that currently in existence so a few have to go, which suggests to me that the annulment of racing licences is less motivated by a determination that speedway clubs pay their debts (which has scarcely been a major issue in the past) than ensuring that future plans can be realised.

I have heard that the promoter of one of the clubs you have mentioned (and it doesn't take the genius of an Einstein to work out which one) is about as popular as a lion at a zebra birthday party.  He'd be the one to get hit, but they'd have to find a reason for it.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 2