British Speedway Forum
jenga

Workington 2018 .

1 hour ago, szkocjasid said:

What about putting Kyle at #7 so he gets more races against fellow reserves then?

Why would you do that when they’re guarenteed to have a strong reserve as his partner, you put the strong one in the easier heats to maximise the amount of points you can get...

• Like 2

While the Workington away results continue to amaze me, can I ask when is our next home meeting?? Am I right in thinking that the cut off point for the league is around 10th September, think we have 8 home league meetings to fit in before that, then at least 2 (hopefully) in KO cup, then semi final of trophy match against?, And hopefully a play off semi and final to squeeze in, that's a minimum of 10/11 home fixtures, If the weather returns to normal that's another factor to squeeze in, Not being negative I know that the bspa caused most of this, but is asking a hell of a lot to squeeze in and provided the opposition agrees, Come on comets it's coming home :) lets get the crowds flocking to Derwent park to see some silverware.

• Like 1

Hi Neil

Jacko told me in the car park after our last meeting, that he was "reasonably confident" that we would be riding against Newcastle in the return leg of the KOC on Saturday 28th July. In fact Dave Hoggart also intimated this over the mic on the centre green.

But up to now, there has been no public announcement that this meeting is still planned ?

Cheers Mate

nice little piece from laura on the news and star website saying how proud she is of the team 

were all proud and amazed at this 2018 comets team that so many made fun off pre season 

Edited by scaramanga
  • Like 1

What a season this Workington team are having certainly proved me wrong..  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes agree team riding above expectations and any publicity is good and hopefully bring in more fans, but has anyone got any news on when next fixtures are and going forward are we any nearer rearranging all the cancelled fixtures?, Been away on holiday so missed any info !!

2 minutes ago, Neila said:

Yes agree team riding above expectations and any publicity is good and hopefully bring in more fans, but has anyone got any news on when next fixtures are and going forward are we any nearer rearranging all the cancelled fixtures?, Been away on holiday so missed any info !!

On the Speedway GB site it now shows Workington at Home v Newcastle in the KOC on July 28th. In saying that it also still shows our Friday "Home" meetings v Peterborough (Aug 3rd), Newcastle (Aug 10th), and Lakeside (Aug 17th) as well, so who knows?

With things as they are, would it not be better to make the match on July 28th a Championship meeting instead, or has the "Management Committee"  forbid that as well?? 

Seriously worried that we won't get the chance to race enough Home fixtures in before the "Cut-Off" .

Looks like Scunthorpe need to win all of their remaining matches to have any remote chance to qualify having lost two at Home and only getting one point on the road so far, so perhaps there may be a few more decisions to come lol!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, phillipsr said:

:icon_smile_clown: absolute :icon_smile_clown:

7 hours ago, yellow and black said:

On the Speedway GB site it now shows Workington at Home v Newcastle in the KOC on July 28th. In saying that it also still shows our Friday "Home" meetings v Peterborough (Aug 3rd), Newcastle (Aug 10th), and Lakeside (Aug 17th) as well, so who knows?

With things as they are, would it not be better to make the match on July 28th a Championship meeting instead, or has the "Management Committee"  forbid that as well?? 

Seriously worried that we won't get the chance to race enough Home fixtures in before the "Cut-Off" .

Looks like Scunthorpe need to win all of their remaining matches to have any remote chance to qualify having lost two at Home and only getting one point on the road so far, so perhaps there may be a few more decisions to come lol!

Can't see that happening mate the league fixture is still inside the cut off point so I doubt we'll get any change out of em for that? :( 

Agreed with the fixtures tho, even if we start home meetings in August we've eight to get in and only 6 weekends max to do them in? :unsure:

9 hours ago, phillipsr said:

Me too. Fair play.

Bickley has struggled a lot more than I thought but the other six have all exceeded expectations so hats off.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jenga said:

:icon_smile_clown: absolute :icon_smile_clown:

Given up grovelling now have you... did you cry and whimper enough they took you back 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Lord Lucan said:

Can't see that happening mate the league fixture is still inside the cut off point so I doubt we'll get any change out of em for that? :( 

Agreed with the fixtures tho, even if we start home meetings in August we've eight to get in and only 6 weekends max to do them in? :unsure:

Trouble is though, that League fixture  v Newcastle for August 10th has now been removed from the fixture list, as it is one of our Fridays that limit Scunthorpe and the likes of getting guests!

Probably the Management Committee have a deadline in place for the KOC to even further limit the chances of the Comets getting their fixtures in by the cut-off date, so KOC it is!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, yellow and black said:

Trouble is though, that League fixture  v Newcastle for August 10th has now been removed from the fixture list, as it is one of our Fridays that limit Scunthorpe and the likes of getting guests!

Probably the Management Committee have a deadline in place for the KOC to even further limit the chances of the Comets getting their fixtures in by the cut-off date, so KOC it is!

I think there should be deadlines for KOC matches like your local golf tournaments (1st round by mid May, QF by end July, SF by middle Sept and final by mid October.

Not to hard to do considering Ipswich last season had to wait about for 2 or 3 months waiting for others to catch up.

• Like 2

Just now, sparks123 said:

I think there should be deadlines for KOC matches like your local golf tournaments (1st round by mid May, QF by end July, SF by middle Sept and final by mid October.

Not to hard to do considering Ipswich last season had to wait about for 2 or 3 months waiting for others to catch up.

Agree whole-heartedly, as there are deadlines for the Championship matches to be completed.

Trouble is, someone made it nigh on impossible for the Championship match deadline to be met by ripping out the heart of the home fixtures, so the "Not hard to do" becomes a "Very hard to do"

• Like 2