British Speedway Forum
jenga

Workington 2018 .

We need a few more like u taylorj, have said all season this is a "team" not a superstar with backup but 7 guys who can do the job , how i wish the folk of cumbria would come and watch on sat nights and i had a diff job so i could  get everyweek .

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

Come on folks...this is the best Comets team I've supported in my 10 years coming to Speedway, these lads are still in with a shout on the League Title, KOC and Championship Shield , they need our support if nothing else ...we can't give up now and let the Mighty Powers that be (that thing called bspa) ruin what should have been our best season for a lot of years !!! 

Its been a tough few months for the promotion , every hurdle threw in their way and they must be sick as parrots...but they haven't give in yet and nor should we , the season is far from over we just need to get in them play-offs and with a bit of lady luck for once,  be in with a chance of bringing some Silverware back to DP for Laura and Tony after the crap they have had to endure lately

Support !! Support !! Support !! :t:

Great post Taylorj......the Comets 2018 are up there with the best ever at Derwent Park.....however appealing for support on here is probably not very effective given that it will be the already committed Comet fans who read it.......with perhaps a few who used to turn but now just 'read all about it'.

It might be a bit late to save the Comets but a campaign of some sort needs urgent attention to try and capture 'new support' from the west Cumbria region.....doesn't advertising always pay?(e.g News and Star/Times and Star/Whitehaven News)...flyers, roadside boards..anything to make folk aware.

Agree with u singy but an old boss of mine used to say " if they dont know were here now they never will". Have said many times if everyone who gets on my bus and says i used to go turned up on the same night u wouldnt get them into derwent park  there the ones to target and youngsters  but easier said than done !

And advertising using social media is completely free.....absolutely nothing to  lose but everything to gain. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoff100 said:

Agree with u singy but an old boss of mine used to say " if they dont know were here now they never will". Have said many times if everyone who gets on my bus and says i used to go turned up on the same night u wouldnt get them into derwent park  there the ones to target and youngsters  but easier said than done !

"if they dont know where we are now they never will"............yep true enough....but the key factor is.... when.!!!!!.

And therein is a major problem regarding 'fixtures'..... it's been well documented that even die-hard regulars are finding it difficult to fathom them out this crazy season.....

• Like 1

i dont know how on earth the people that do the fixtures can sleep at night . after all , they are putting theme selves OUT of a job . 

its not  the fans that need to turn up . its the bspa/scb with their mind boggling decisions and rule changes every year .

just looking @ the m,bra v ippo fixture . i see mason is guesting for sheff @ 1 .  funny how godders/chapman put a stop to friday fixtures and sheff go with mason for fridays meeting .

16 hours ago, jenga said:

so , with all the off season caic already done and dusted due to the no meetings thingy DURING the season . what will we find to walk about ?

dont worry tho . i have saved some stuff back to talk about in the close season .( WAS IT EVER OPEN ).

You've already had nearly a handful of fixtures. Counted on one hand and not including the thumb. This is speedway you know, ruled by our benevolent Chair and Deputy ( or is Vice ) Chair.

3 hours ago, jenga said:

i dont know how on earth the people that do the fixtures can sleep at night . after all , they are putting theme selves OUT of a job . 

its not  the fans that need to turn up . its the bspa/scb with their mind boggling decisions and rule changes every year .

just looking @ the m,bra v ippo fixture . i see mason is guesting for sheff @ 1 .  funny how godders/chapman put a stop to friday fixtures and sheff go with mason for fridays meeting .

The opening sentence jenga makes a very valid point regarding the current state, and future, of British speedway.....Those who 'run' the sport are very close to 'ruining' it and thereby losing their jobs....

You mention fixture planners, perhaps suffering insomnia, then you rightly slam the bspa/scb as guilty parties...so what about the riders? their UK jobs must be in jeopardy...Can all please wake up and smell the danger hurting British speedway and by any means all concerned try to revive this great sport...?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, topaz325 said:

Workington v Lakeside 19:00hrs 25/08/2018

Workington v Redcar  19:30 hrs.   26/08/2018

Is the Lakeside meeting confirmed now?

8 hours ago, geoff100 said:

We need a few more like u taylorj, have said all season this is a "team" not a superstar with backup but 7 guys who can do the job , how i wish the folk of cumbria would come and watch on sat nights and i had a diff job so i could  get everyweek .

Let's be honest 6 guys who can do a job & a youngster in to gain time!

19 hours ago, jamlad said:

Sadly Jenga you will have lots to talk about starting with the demise of Workington Speedway ...upset between riders and team manager were ever present on Saturday , team that with what looks like the promotion have threw in the white flag , that buzz from a few weeks earlier when the lads were racking up away win after away win , seems no-ones arsed anymore :rolleyes: there’s no encouragement for the lads whatsoever.  Unless someone gets the 7 numbers up on lottery in the next couple of months , the might blue and white will be closing them gates for the last time , so start you’re making your memoirs Jenga ... 

19 hours ago, jenga said:

i have never heard about any disputes , apart from the one a  few moths ago and a wee talk took place . .

You just can't beat a positive post - Upset. White flag. No-one arsed. No encouragement.

I miss one meeting (a straightforward sounding victory over Sheffield) where we probably sensibly stopped 'racing' after the 3 points were in the bag and all of a sudden nobody is speaking to each other and it is all doom and gloom.

As others have said we have the best 'team' many of us can remember and despite the well documented chaos caused by this seasons excuse for a fixture list we still have a great chance of winning silverware. Therefore can we all try and stay positive and not post negative comments which are usually unsubstantiated nonsense in any case.

And next time one of us is faced with the  'I used to go, but don't bother any more' comment we ask them for their main reason for not going and then try to encourage them to go the next meeting. After all there are plenty of reasons to go. The 'team', the track (fair, smooth and set up for racing), the chance of silverware (an attractive proposition for the pot hunters), and last but not least the opportunity to see the next Cumbrian British champion in boy wonder Dan Bewley.

NB I am not sure of the correlation between wee chats and moths but there must be one for Jenga to mention it.

Erm....well maybe next week to see young Dan!

Edited by Carlislecomet2
  • Like 1