British Speedway Forum
jenga

Workington 2018 .

3 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

Such a well spoken young lady :wub:  with fans like you I can't understand why workington's crowds are so low :rofl:

Whilst not wanting to criticise you just to mention its the Scottish Cup not the Spring Trophy and we only took this booking once all other matches had been agreed. We thought it was only fair to our fans who had bought lots of tickets from our promotion for this second leg which was sadly rained off at the start of the year. These tickets were only valid for the 2nd leg but Edinburgh couldn't fit us in until they got knocked out of all the other competitions. so better late than never :t:.

One of your own “lady”s makes me look like an Angel :wub: as for going on about crowds ...cast your mind back a few years before the millionaires moved in , Glasgow’s crowds were dire , the worry of closing down was only too present on the fans minds so you know how it feels , cheap digs at crowd levels are a pretty low blow , we can all have banter on here but I really wouldn’t want ANY team folding , you got lucky just remember that :nono: 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, A.N.Other said:

Hi matey

I assume you are asking because WH Smith have stopped selling it from this week on ?  I bought a random copy of SS there last week, and there was an article in it from the publishers, saying something about the fact that extremely high charges were being levied against them,for them to continue selling it there, so regrettably they have had to withdraw from selling SS in WH Smiths. 

I think the Petrol station in Seaton sells them..so you will have to jump on the big red bus to get one from there..lol.  Not sure if anyone else does. ? Let me know if you find out ? 

Cheers

i bought a S.S. last week in Whitehaven post office on king street . there were a good few copies on the shelf . going to get one tomorrow , just for the smell of those lovely pages . 

that was the first one i have bought in a looong time . surprised how much it cost and most of the reading material was already out in the public domain . so that will be 2 S.S. mags i have bought in decades .  if i want another smell in my house ,  i will just fort ! OR INVITE A Glasgow supporter in !

1 hour ago, Taylorj said:

One of your own “lady”s makes me look like an Angel :wub: as for going on about crowds ...cast your mind back a few years before the millionaires moved in , Glasgow’s crowds were dire , the worry of closing down was only too present on the fans minds so you know how it feels , cheap digs at crowd levels are a pretty low blow , we can all have banter on here but I really wouldn’t want ANY team folding , you got lucky just remember that :nono: 

wasn't making a cheap dig about crowd levels was making a cheap dig at the reasons behind them.

And sorry have to disagree with you about teams folding. And this is not about Workington and I really do mean it, this time. But if a speedway club cant provide the basics in terms of a raceable track, safe stadium, paying there way, offering reasonable entertainment and fulfilling a minimum of fixtures then they should be asked to leave the organisation (hopefully on a temporary basis) just like the Tigers team that relocated to Workington when they lost there Blantyre stadium, ironic eh. it is wrong for teams to turn up and say at BSPA meetings if we have to race home and away twice like last year we shall have to close down - this was NOT Workington as they weren't present. All that this form of blackmail has done is drag everyone down to there level and all clubs have struggled due to a stop start season with weeks going by without any meetings - again not a dig at Workington. BUT if riders are given a fixture list at start of the season you can't blame them for trying to get other meetings to make up the shortfall caused by only having one home and away and that's a key reason why teams wouldn't ride in matches needing rearranging as there riders were riding abroad or in long track or grass track or on holiday with the missus!

1 hour ago, jenga said:

i bought a S.S. last week in Whitehaven post office on king street . there were a good few copies on the shelf . going to get one tomorrow , just for the smell of those lovely pages . 

that was the first one i have bought in a looong time . surprised how much it cost and most of the reading material was already out in the public domain . so that will be 2 S.S. mags i have bought in decades .  if i want another smell in my house ,  i will just fort ! OR INVITE A Glasgow supporter in !

Surprised, very surprised :o

7 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

wasn't making a cheap dig about crowd levels was making a cheap dig at the reasons behind them.

And sorry have to disagree with you about teams folding. And this is not about Workington and I really do mean it, this time. But if a speedway club cant provide the basics in terms of a raceable track, safe stadium, paying there way, offering reasonable entertainment and fulfilling a minimum of fixtures then they should be asked to leave the organisation (hopefully on a temporary basis) just like the Tigers team that relocated to Workington when they lost there Blantyre stadium, ironic eh. it is wrong for teams to turn up and say at BSPA meetings if we have to race home and away twice like last year we shall have to close down - this was NOT Workington as they weren't present. All that this form of blackmail has done is drag everyone down to there level and all clubs have struggled due to a stop start season with weeks going by without any meetings - again not a dig at Workington. BUT if riders are given a fixture list at start of the season you can't blame them for trying to get other meetings to make up the shortfall caused by only having one home and away and that's a key reason why teams wouldn't ride in matches needing rearranging as there riders were riding abroad or in long track or grass track or on holiday with the missus!

Fair comment but for those teams that employ those riders and continuously put Workington in the waiting room is hardly Workington's fault. When you have teams (2 that I know of) declining fixtures because their star is injured when a guest facility was available and at least 1 team declining because they were racing in the Fours at Redcar the next day is unacceptable. 2 of those clubs were offered 3 dates and turned them all down! How many years have Workington and Berwick together with their visitors for example raced on a Saturday and then tripped overnight to Peterborough for a Fours with a 2 o'clock strat?

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

'cos no bstard would accept a fixture!

13 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

You asked for an honest answer, wtf has Berwick got to do with it? Jacko was asking teams to visit (the strongest team in the league) and they were refusing for a variety of reasons (usually rider availability) maybe on the nights some of those teams went to Berwick they had their riders or fancied their chances with a guest at Berwick.

Maybe they couldn't go to Workington 'cos they were riding at Berwick :o

Don't ask for an honest answer if you don't want one, this forum really pees me off when you tell people the truth they don't want to believe it, crack on then I'm out of this one.

Awwww Man

Got all the craic and emails off Jacko last night to put over once and for all; a comprehensive post with the proof and reasoned arguments with all the details as to why the Comets had blank Fridays and Saturdays and what do you know "Byker Biker" summed it up in his first post on this matter with 7 well chosen words that even a thick "Jock" should be able to understand "'cos no bstard would accept a fixture!" brilliant, concise and in a nutshell spot on.

So there you have it, the "3 Glasgee Amigo's" who think we "Sassenach's" are all "Buttoned up the back" will be sitting there with tissues in hand ready to "Pull the heed af the chicken" and have a "Chug" with their "Glaikit" looks on their "Fizzogs" waiting for a response to confirm they got a bite, and to be fair they did in some respects.

So these three "Merchant Bankers" who are 1st class "Pubis Mons"  may think they have some "Gallus"  but they are really "Boggin". Ya need to "Shut yer geggy" and "Away an’ bile yer heid" because all ya talk is "Keech" ya need to "Haud yer wheesht" as "Yer heid’s full o’ mince" so go "Bolt ya rocket" an stop ye "Greetin" ya "Bawbags", total "Nuggets" and probably "Jobby stabbers" to boot.

A note to all of those who do not "Ken" the complexities of the Scottish language or had to watch "Rab C Nesbitt" with the subtitles on, if there are any phrases you have difficulty in understanding just google those in the "quotation marks" for a translation and it should become apparent as to the sentiment of the post 

Those of us who know our history will always wonder why "Longshanks" didn't finish the job or the "Duke of Cumberland" stepped in to call a halt at the end of the day letting far to many off the hook in his little tussle with our skirt wearing friends north of the border. However I blame that lonely Geordie fellow who once had sex with a pig! for if it were not for him there wouldn't be any Jocks anyway would there? as I am led to believe, and as I was once told; that was how they were made and where they originally came from. I mean lets face it nearly 9 million of them on the planet and only 5 million of them live up there, says it all really doesn't it and if it wasn't for the Italian Ice Cream car salesmen bailing out the Tigers they wouldn't be here either would they? 

What do they say about people in glass houses

Regards
THJ

• Like 4

13 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

Hi matey

I assume you are asking because WH Smith have stopped selling it from this week on ?  I bought a random copy of SS there last week, and there was an article in it from the publishers, saying something about the fact that extremely high charges were being levied against them,for them to continue selling it there, so regrettably they have had to withdraw from selling SS in WH Smiths. 

I think the Petrol station in Seaton sells them..so you will have to jump on the big red bus to get one from there..lol.  Not sure if anyone else does. ? Let me know if you find 

No bus required.walked round to asda and got this week's one there.yeah there had been a statement in the speedway star about wh smith that's why I asked where you could get one cause that was gonna be my first port of call with no meeting this weekend and no track shop open.

Edited by bigbird

11 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

What a load of "sanctimonious crepe" you couldn't give a "fat rat's ass"

Loads of Money corrupt Tory attitude cos you have a couple of guys prepared to bankroll your club of choice

Honestly am balling up and having a half day and I may have the Monday off as well

Regards
THJ

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

'cos no bstard would accept a fixture!

One league meeting in April,May and June and guess  who it was GLASGOW so you cant say we are  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Edited by MANSE

Just now, MANSE said:

One league meeting in April,MAY and June and guess  who it was GLASGOW so you cant say we are  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Doesn't take you long to raise ya ugly heed !!! 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Taylorj said:

Doesn't take you long to raise ya ugly heed !!! 

Up a long time ago had a stroll along the beach to get the morning paper. Spending some time resting now after our Three Med cruises in the last year can be tiring

26 minutes ago, MANSE said:

Up a long time ago had a stroll along the beach to get the morning paper. Spending some time resting now after our Three Med cruises in the last year can be tiring

And ?? your point being :blink:

Just been reading Ippo 2019 thread & wondered if Campton is in the same boat as Douglas last year in that his long term visa has run out & having not achieved a 7 point average will have to sit out a year irrespective of how he might do in the Aussie Champs this winter.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, MANSE said:

One league meeting in April,May and June and guess  who it was GLASGOW so you cant say we are  _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

so what day/date was that meeting on or was it a re arranged meeting to help us out ?

• Haha 1