British Speedway Forum
jenga

Workington 2018 .

5 hours ago, Gazc said:

Is this your opinion if so coming from one who portrays himself to be in the know this is in extremely poor taste , I am sure most of my fellow Tigers fans will feel the same I am actually surprised at that comment as you usually put what you have to say across pretty well generally so to call a certain fan base dickheads is poor. 

Frustration Gazc at the "holier than thou" opinions put over by some on here, you are correct I am in a fortunate position that I have had senior level contact with several promotions across the entire sport and believe me my best interests are for the sport as a whole not for a select chosen few. Personally I do not like the secretive culture adopted by the BSPA were a "Chinese Whispers" format for disseminating information is adopted.  It breeds a culture of "if I don't know what is going on I will make something up" then bang it out on here which to be fair just gets everyone's "backs up" (doesn't it or is it just me?)

All clubs have these types and where you have highlighted the offending line I will point out it does state "some of the most vociferous " the Tigers certainly do not have exclusivity of this in any way shape or form. Only those who can listen (or read) will really lean (some just aren't prepared to do that) and I have attended numerous meetings with regard to moving the sport forward and listened to what the issues are and I do not envy Rob Godfrey or Buster Chapman in the slightest but people have to recognise it just isn't one sides fault and no one can adopt the "it wasn't us" line, everyone is culpable in this and Glasgow need to take their share of the blame,  The only way I can see any hope would be for promotions to work together but there are factions at play and a self interest and distrust culture that I feel (my own opinion) is just to vast to bridge. Also I will add amongst the snide back biting and childish dross that often rears its head on here there are some very sensible and constructive comments and ideas that quite often get overlooked.

However I will say is this; that it is not any fault of Glasgow if a club is evicted from their home, or is it Glasgow's fault if a clubs fan base flat-lines, or a promotion struggles, or lives beyond their means. (Glasgow fans actively contribute across the league to other clubs as they have always had good travelling support) What needs to be looked at is the effort the Courtney Family have put in a Berwick this season (absolutely faultless) or the Newcastle promotion yet they were both slated (along with Workington) for putting out what were perceived as weakened teams. (yet none finished bottom of the league by the way and there has been some fantastic meetings at these venues, I know because I have been there to see them); I am sure these clubs would love a Bomber Harris or a Craig Cook (or in Newcastle's case a Pedersen (Nicki or Bjarne) or Kenneth Bjerre possibly; even in the twilight of their careers) but costs dictated that this was just not feasible, but its a bit nauseating when these teams (and their fans) get castigated for competing in a league which lets be fair wouldn't be there without them in it; and have to compete in what they consider as a league which is not even set up on a level playing field. (and again that could be down to envy of the financial security some clubs find themselves in) (even I get the Green Eyed Goblins at times)

It isn't anyone's fault singly that the sport is going through a difficult time; as I see it there is a collective responsibility, however some clubs are taking responsibility and others are ploughing their own furrow to the detriment of all others, added to which you  have the negative diatribe on here which at times can be rather obnoxious to say the least. I put a positive post up a month or two back stating I thought people would be pleasantly surprised in the direction the sport was heading in and couldn't really elaborate at that time on what was happening, and to be honest I am glad I didn't as the plan that I had been made aware of which I (me personally) thought contained some great ideas has been all but binned!!! So what do I know

So I sincerely apologise if my post has offended you personally and that the point I was trying to put over has been missed as that was not my intention

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
missed out key word

Your last paragraph is spot on,  Unfortunately we have at least three clubs in the championship who maybe not make it to the tapes next season with the worrying news that’s now coming out of Redcar and Peterborough, could the championship been down to single figures come 2019 ?   Every year we hear that this is the most important agm, I think that ship has sailed and clubs are now sinking!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SharpenRake said:

In the interests of harmony I'm out of here. Thanks for calling some of us Dick heads its really appreciated especially coming from someone with such mastery of the English language and worth a few bob - give my regards to steve.

Wow....that was a totally different reply to your first one last night... edited now I see :oops:

Edited by Taylorj

32 minutes ago, Tigerforever said:

Your last paragraph is spot on,  Unfortunately we have at least three clubs in the championship who maybe not make it to the tapes next season with the worrying news that’s now coming out of Redcar and Peterborough, could the championship been down to single figures come 2019 ?   Every year we hear that this is the most important agm, I think that ship has sailed and clubs are now sinking!

My personal opinion is this; I think we will only see one league next season unless some of the National League teams can be "Forced up" so teams will have the choice of where to sit league wise. By that I mean the first tier will be roughly at a Championship level as is now and possibly six man teams (possibly not), and a much diluted product than we currently experience in the "Top League" further the second division (if we don't have one league) will be built to about 32.5 rather than 42.5  points to thin out the higher averaged riders thus saving costs and radically restricting doubling up. (if doubling up is not done away with which I can also see happening) 

This week (Tuesday or Wednesday cant remember) sees a start to a series of BSPA meetings looking to put a definitive plan together to take the sport forward. One league 14/16/18 teams possibly, or 2 leagues top league 8/10 teams and 2nd Div 8/10 teams. It doesn't bode well really does it and it is a sorry state of affairs looking at it. Hope I am "Totally Wrong" but I can see much else really. 

Don't hold your breath and start with very low expectations then you wont be disappointed.

Regards
THJ

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Frustration Gazc at the "holier than thou" opinions put over by some on here, you are correct I am in a fortunate position that I have had senior level contact with several promotions across the entire sport and believe me my best interests are for the sport as a whole not for a select chosen few. Personally I do not like the secretive culture adopted by the BSPA were a "Chinese Whispers" format for disseminating information is adopted.  It breeds a culture of "if I don't know what is going on I will make something up" then bang it out on here which to be fair just gets everyone's "backs up" (doesn't it or is it just me?)

All clubs have these types and where you have highlighted the offending line I will point out it does state "some of the most" the Tigers certainly do not have exclusivity of this in any way shape or form. Only those who can listen (or read) will really lean (some just aren't prepared to do that) and I have attended numerous meetings with regard to moving the sport forward and listened to what the issues are and I do not envy Rob Godfrey or Buster Chapman in the slightest but people have to recognise it just isn't one sides fault and no one can adopt the "it wasn't us" line, everyone is culpable in this and Glasgow need to take their share of the blame,  The only way I can see any hope would be for promotions to work together but there are factions at play and a self interest and distrust culture that I feel (my own opinion) is just to vast to bridge. Also I will add amongst the snide back biting and childish dross that often rears its head on here there are some very sensible and constructive comments and ideas that quite often get overlooked.

However I will say is this; that it is not any fault of Glasgow if a club is evicted from their home, or is it Glasgow's fault if a clubs fan base flat-lines, or a promotion struggles, or lives beyond their means. (Glasgow fans actively contribute across the league to other clubs as they have always had good travelling support) What needs to be looked at is the effort the Courtney Family have put in a Berwick this season (absolutely faultless) or the Newcastle promotion yet they were both slated (along with Workington) for putting out what were perceived as weakened teams. (yet none finished bottom of the league by the way and there has been some fantastic meetings at these venues, I know because I have been there to see them); I am sure these clubs would love a Bomber Harris or a Craig Cook (or in Newcastle's case a Pedersen (Nicki or Bjarne) or Kenneth Bjerre possibly; even in the twilight of their careers) but costs dictated that this was just not feasible, but its a bit nauseating when these teams (and their fans) get castigated for competing in a league which lets be fair wouldn't be there without them in it; and have to compete in what they consider as a league which is not even set up on a level playing field. (and again that could be down to envy of the financial security some clubs find themselves in) (even I get the Green Eyed Goblins at times)

It isn't anyone's fault singly that the sport is going through a difficult time; as I see it there is a collective responsibility, however some clubs are taking responsibility and others are ploughing their own furrow to the detriment of all others, added to which you  have the negative diatribe on here which at times can be rather obnoxious to say the least. I put a positive post up a month or two back stating I thought people would be pleasantly surprised in the direction the sport was heading in and couldn't really elaborate at that time on what was happening, and to be honest I am glad I didn't as the plan that I had been made aware of which I (me personally) thought contained some great ideas has been all but binned!!! So what do I know

So I sincerely apologise if my post has offended you personally and that the point I was trying to put over has been missed as that was not my intention

Regards
THJ

Have you ever been the front end of a pantomime Horse?

26 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

My personal opinion is this; I think we will only see one league next season unless some of the National League teams can be "Forced up" so teams will have the choice of where to sit league wise. By that I mean the first tier will be roughly at a Championship level as is now and possibly six man teams (possibly not), and a much diluted product than we currently experience in the "Top League" further the second division (if we don't have one league) will be built to about 32.5 rather than 42.5  points to thin out the higher averaged riders thus saving costs and radically restricting doubling up. (if doubling up is not done away with which I can also see happening) 

This week (Tuesday or Wednesday cant remember) sees a start to a series of BSPA meetings looking to put a definitive plan together to take the sport forward. One league 14/16/18 teams possibly, or 2 leagues top league 8/10 teams and 2nd Div 8/10 teams. It doesn't bode well really does it and it is a sorry state of affairs looking at it. Hope I am "Totally Wrong" but I can see much else really. 

Don't hold your breath and start with very low expectations then you wont be disappointed.

Regards
THJ

there will not be a diluted 2 tier of speedway as last season it was deemed that scott nicholls and cookie were too good for the 2nd tier of speedway. as proven when soliceters get involved the bspa pooed them selves and scotty was let into the league. wham and the next thing we know is that a current G.P. rider is allowed to sign for a 2nd tier club . this was a no no according to the rules and the next thing is that we HAVE A SPEEDWAY TYPE Bosman rule and the BSPA  fall apart and ruin out sport . why are the likes of harris,lawson ,morris,ellis allowed into our (champ) league .? 32.5 is not too far off the mark , but 42.50 is better and will allow teams to build to a decent strength .  but as proved in many posts by me i know sweet football association . the BSPA have power over us minions . but the law hase the BSPA by the conkers . they made their bed and the bed bugs are now biting .

1 hour ago, Byker Biker said:

Have you ever been the front end of a pantomime Horse?

Nah nowt so gay, coming from Longbenton then moving to Byker the only pantomime I have ever been involved with was when I had my season ticket for Newcastle United which I gave up not the last time we were promoted but the time before that and vowed never to go back until Ashley had gone, unfortunately I have fell off the wagon about half a dozen times over the years as the mind is willing but the will power unfortunately is very weak... Also I remember when a group of theatrical players came to Longbenton High School to do some interactive learning and got the B'Jesus kicked out of them and that put me off the theatre "for life" Oh and a substantial squad of my year group and the one above suspended from school for a couple of weeks... Good old LBAB those were the days eh...

Regards
THJ

1 hour ago, jenga said:

there will not be a diluted 2 tier of speedway as last season it was deemed that scott nicholls and cookie were too good for the 2nd tier of speedway. as proven when soliceters get involved the bspa pooed them selves and scotty was let into the league. wham and the next thing we know is that a current G.P. rider is allowed to sign for a 2nd tier club . this was a no no according to the rules and the next thing is that we HAVE A SPEEDWAY TYPE Bosman rule and the BSPA  fall apart and ruin out sport . why are the likes of harris,lawson ,morris,ellis allowed into our (champ) league .? 32.5 is not too far off the mark , but 42.50 is better and will allow teams to build to a decent strength .  but as proved in many posts by me i know sweet football association . the BSPA have power over us minions . but the law hase the BSPA by the conkers . they made their bed and the bed bugs are now biting .

Don't disagree however I have to correct you there in bold above Jenga as there was never anything in the rules to stop Glasgow signing a GP rider, what there was back in the day was an "unwritten rule" agreed by the BSPA promoters at the time "not to sign current GP riders". A "gentleman's agreement" if you will and this was to protect Workington who had Carl Stonehewer at the time. It was all a bit contrived and I won't give the full history but rest assured Glasgow didn't break any rules. Just all the old boys who had all agreed to the original request by Workington to ring fence Stoney (or GP riders) at the time; are all now long gone.

Although it is a bit rich because a few years back Keith Denham tried to change his team following a few bad injuries and bring in a rider or two to re-balance his team for the old Young Shield Competition (I think) and was told he wasn't allowed to!!! when asked why he was told there was an "unwritten rule" and "gentleman's agreement" which stated that he couldn't change his team after the cut off date for matches. I believe the said "unwritten rule" was officially written into the rule books the following season.

However just to confirm Glasgow done nothing wrong in signing Craig

So what you need to appreciate is when is an "unwritten rule" not a rule at all? Answer... when you have enough cash to threaten to "sue" the powers that be of course!!!

Roll over lads and get your bellies tickled

Regards
THJ

but the unwritten rule /gentlemans agreement whould have stopped others trying to sign a gp rider if they wernt on the nice list

2 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Don't disagree however I have to correct you there in bold above Jenga as there was never anything in the rules to stop Glasgow signing a GP rider, what there was back in the day was an "unwritten rule" agreed by the BSPA promoters at the time "not to sign current GP riders". A "gentleman's agreement" if you will and this was to protect Workington who had Carl Stonehewer at the time. It was all a bit contrived and I won't give the full history but rest assured Glasgow didn't break any rules. Just all the old boys who had all agreed to the original request by Workington to ring fence Stoney (or GP riders) at the time; are all now long gone.

Although it is a bit rich because a few years back Keith Denham tried to change his team following a few bad injuries and bring in a rider or two to re-balance his team for the old Young Shield Competition (I think) and was told he wasn't allowed to!!! when asked why he was told there was an "unwritten rule" and "gentleman's agreement" which stated that he couldn't change his team after the cut off date for matches. I believe the said "unwritten rule" was officially written into the rule books the following season.

However just to confirm Glasgow done nothing wrong in signing Craig

So what you need to appreciate is when is an "unwritten rule" not a rule at all? Answer... when you have enough cash to threaten to "sue" the powers that be of course!!!

Roll over lads and get your bellies tickled

Regards
THJ

i see what you are saying. the gentlemen,s    agreement . that prove that there are NO  gentlemen is speedway and its run by the corrupt few for their own personal gain and sod the rest . is that right godman ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Nah nowt so gay, coming from Longbenton then moving to Byker the only pantomime I have ever been involved with was when I had my season ticket for Newcastle United which I gave up not the last time we were promoted but the time before that and vowed never to go back until Ashley had gone, unfortunately I have fell off the wagon about half a dozen times over the years as the mind is willing but the will power unfortunately is very weak... Also I remember when a group of theatrical players came to Longbenton High School to do some interactive learning and got the B'Jesus kicked out of them and that put me off the theatre "for life" Oh and a substantial squad of my year group and the one above suspended from school for a couple of weeks... Good old LBAB those were the days eh...

Regards
THJ

Have you ever been the rear end of a pantomime horse?

oh , i get it . its a game where the horses ar%e  can let wind out anytime it wants to and the head, so to speak has to hold it in all the time . me , i am always the ar$e @ pantomimes .  

3 hours ago, jenga said:

oh , i get it . its a game where the horses ar%e  can let wind out anytime it wants to and the head, so to speak has to hold it in all the time . me , i am always the ar$e @ pantomimes .  

Nope

13 hours ago, Byker Biker said:

Have you ever been the rear end of a pantomime horse?

Is there a job on offer like? I'm available for either end if the pay is right

Regards
THJ

• Like 1
  • Haha 1