British Speedway Forum
jenga

Workington 2018 .

36 minutes ago, Derwent said:

I spoke to a local councillor about this. The reason no speedway has been included in the plans is that the Comets can’t commit to a long term lease. Town and Reds have agreed to sign a 50 year lease each. They are therefore not going to add significant extra cost to the stadium project by incorporating something that may not get used in future. 

Thanks for the info 

2 hours ago, Derwent said:

I spoke to a local councillor about this. The reason no speedway has been included in the plans is that the Comets can’t commit to a long term lease. Town and Reds have agreed to sign a 50 year lease each. They are therefore not going to add significant extra cost to the stadium project by incorporating something that may not get used in future. 

i can understand why there will  be  no speedway track at the new stadium  due to both rugby and football signing a 50 yr lease deal . if speedway was going to be included , then the current or future owners would have to sign the 50 yr lease as well .

in other words if the speedway runs or not . the owner who signed the lease will have to pay until the 50 yr lease runs out . 

there is a way around it and that is to sign a licence deal. this allows the speedway to pull out at any time and also gives the landlord/owners  power to throw the speedway or any other club that is in the stadium on a licence .

workington town and the reds have so far (to the best of my knowledge ) never had a break of usage of their previous homes . where as the comets have had one long space of inactivity in the sport . the new stadium needs continual usage to make it viable .

i can only see a future IF a chunk of land (ie. Somerset style) was made available in or around the workington area or even near Carlisle etc . thats  one choice , i am sure there will be more .

looking forward,   Derwent park will still be around  for racing in the 2019 season . but after that , who knows  

heres to a good semi against Glasgow and something to polish ! SUNDAY 7.30 start time i do believe .   

get down and support YOUR LOCAL  speedway team . use it or lose it . HONESTLY :wub:

7 hours ago, geoff100 said:

I see we are at scunny next sun in some final i thought fri was their race day ? They must have got special permission to race off someone on the bspa in the best interests of the sport ohh wait a minute isnt that a mr godfrey opps .

Considering you are down to ride at Lakeside(Rye House) in some other Final (OOOOPPPSSSS !!!!!!!) I guess we have move to an alternative race day to accommodate you.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2018 at 8:04 AM, geoff100 said:

I see we are at scunny next sun in some final i thought fri was their race day ? They must have got special permission to race off someone on the bspa in the best interests of the sport ohh wait a minute isnt that a mr godfrey opps .

Actually the blow up and whole fixture fiasco stemmed from a Scunny Sunday fixture as it happens, but that is all history now. Lets hope the weather holds up and the 7 meetings Worky have to fit in over the last 13 days of the season from this Fridays meeting with Lakeside at Rye House with only two weekends left is going to be a real squeeze. The last thing Worky need is bad weather.

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

Nice discount on offer for the weekend but didnt we all hand our tickets in for dan??  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just read on the local bbc news young dan had a breakin at home and had his money stolen about £4000 in total , some sick people about .

16 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Just read on the local bbc news young dan had a breakin at home and had his money stolen about £4000 in total , some sick people about .

Shocking they are some real lowlife's out there young lad must be devastated.

• Like 1

Just read that too. Scumbags - probably spent it on drugs already.

If by any small chance they are apprehended, their previous 253 offences will be taken into account and they will be told not to be naughty again!

Edited by Carlislecomet2
removed naughty word
  • Like 1

it takes all kinds to make the world spin around . dont lets scaryport scoundrels scare you off dan , get a rotty in yer house or offer a large reward for i nfo leadind to arrest and conviction of these people. that usually works . 

On 10/18/2018 at 1:54 PM, Carlislecomet2 said:

Just read that too. Scumbags - probably spent it on drugs already.

If by any small chance they are apprehended, their previous 253 offences will be taken into account and they will be told not to be naughty again!

Been narrowed down to one suspect and there won't be any Police called to apprehend anyone or to have any offences taken into account, it will be a severe kicking I would suggest, with thieving fingers stamped on with gusto!!! its all they understand, Honestly!

More to Follow (Hopefully)

Regards
THJ

• Like 2

On 10/16/2018 at 1:08 PM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Lets hope the weather holds up and the 7 meetings Worky have to fit in over the last 13 days of the season from this Fridays meeting

Ludicrous is the only word I can come up with that fits the situation. Or maybe " That's speedway UK style"?

1 minute ago, waytogo28 said:

Ludicrous is the only word I can come up with that fits the situation. Or maybe " That's speedway UK style"?

We are flying now man!!! only only 5 left from Thursday 25th of October, with one Saturday one Sunday and Two Monday, Don't know what I was worrying about, 31st of October is a good 6 days after that Scunny Cup match and you are spot on " That's speedway UK style"?

Regards
THJ

• Like 2

Just for information; Confirmation of up and coming fixtures

25/10/18 1930 Workington v Scunthorpe (C-KOC F)
27/10/18 1930 Lakeside v Workington (Champ PO F) (at RH)
28/10/18 1930 Workington v Lakeside (Champ PO F)
29/10/18 1900 Workington v Lakeside (Champ Shield F)
29/10/18 2045 Workington v Lakeside (Championship)

Busy Schedule 

More to Follow (I'm sure) 

Regards
THJ

• Like 1

Interesting conversation int pub last night..so Workington 99% finished as of 31st October !! Just a question ..,why haven't they publicised this to all and sundry like Ford at Poole and Rathbone p'boro ,to try and sell instead of just folding more than likely through a newspaper come next weekend ? Have they not wondered why no fundraises or out have been this season, not sure what Workington Trust donations were like but after the negativity of closing all the time is it any wunder folk haven't chucked in their £500's . I know I haven't but had I heard something like "we are struggling we need your help to continue Speedway" or "lets pull together to keep it" total different matter ...Track shop still selling hoodies etc, how fair is that folk still buying merchandise for what 3 meetings , Stadium will end up the excuse . the crowds in last couple of meetings have been well up just shows a lot of people still very much want Speedway in Wukington . its going to be a crying shame the most popular sport in the town is going down the pan !!!